PDA

View Full Version : King Tutankhamen and the meteor blade

B. de Corbin
07 Jun 2016, 07:28
This is kind of cool - at the time King Tut was alive, the Egyptians were using copper tools for cutting even very, very hard stone.

But King T had a dagger made of iron from a meteorite.

King Tut's dagger was 'made from a meteorite' (http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/02/africa/king-tut-dagger-meteorite/)

Tylluan Penry
11 Jun 2016, 01:36
I remember reading somewhere about beads in an Egyptian tomb, that were also made from meteorites. There is so much we don't understand about the tools they used. At the risk of derailing the thread, I would say that the same goes for clothing... maybe I'd better start a thread on that one of these days...

B. de Corbin
11 Jun 2016, 06:02
What I found particulary interesting is that the Egyptians seem to have been aware that the metal came from meteorites, and wasn't a naturally occuring earth alloy.

They were pretty sophisticated in science - their chemistry, for example, was pretty darned good. Those beads were not only made of metiorites, they were also constructed out of faux gemstones (imitation turqiouse, carnellian, etc.) made from a substance still known as "Egyptian paste" - a self-glazing clay.

anunitu
13 Jun 2016, 04:38
Pasties then..envisions a meteor with pasties on its rocky bumps..My mind she does wander..