PDA

View Full Version : God as a big bad scary sky boss with a harem

B. de Corbin
07 Jul 2016, 07:14
Interesting article:

Is God a silverback?: Protective, omnipotent, scary and very territorial. The monotheistic God is modelled on a harem-keeping alpha male (https://aeon.co/essays/how-monotheists-modelled-god-on-a-harem-keeping-alpha-male)

From the article:

Not everyone buys into a sky-god with a long white beard, a serious and all-knowing mien, capable of rewarding good behaviour and punishing bad. But it doesn’t take much imagination to recognise that God, as worshipped in most of the world, is remarkably humanoid, widely perceived as a great, big, scary, wilful, yet nourishing and protective guy… in short, a silverback gorilla writ large.

anunitu
07 Jul 2016, 07:18
Are you trying to disparage all silverbacks?

I imagine some silverbacks might disagree.

Hawkfeathers
07 Jul 2016, 09:33
Maybe he was Harimbe, and they shot him.

Medusa
07 Jul 2016, 20:31
I never liked the idea of humans making god human. It shows the limits of their myth telling.

MaskedOne
07 Jul 2016, 20:51
I never liked the idea of humans making god human. It shows the limits of their myth telling.

He made for a moderately entertaining lion though. Granted he's more entertaining if we ignore the last book in that series.

Medusa
07 Jul 2016, 20:54
So my brother (the theologian) once gave me as a gift the Narnia series. He actually also gave me the Winnie the Pooh books as a kid. I had no idea Aslan was god etc etc. I totally fell in love with talking animals and that led me to my path of SATAN! lol.

Briton
08 Jul 2016, 04:14
So my brother (the theologian) once gave me as a gift the Narnia series. He actually also gave me the Winnie the Pooh books as a kid. I had no idea Aslan was god etc etc. I totally fell in love with talking animals and that led me to my path of SATAN! lol.

Ah, the irony!

DragonsFriend
08 Jul 2016, 13:13
I believe that "making gods human" is just our way of connecting to them. I recognize that most any definition limits a thing but at the same time if we recognize that the limitations are our own and not the deity's then we can interact within our limited knowledge of them and still not place limitations on them.
It might also be that because my concept of deity is that we are meant to act in a partnership with them rather than stand in awe and worship. I believe they enjoy the interaction more than worship. There is still a reverence in place but it does not get in the way of being friends.

Medusa
08 Jul 2016, 13:43
I believe that "making gods human" is just our way of connecting to them. I recognize that most any definition limits a thing but at the same time if we recognize that the limitations are our own and not the deity's then we can interact within our limited knowledge of them and still not place limitations on them.
It might also be that because my concept of deity is that we are meant to act in a partnership with them rather than stand in awe and worship. I believe they enjoy the interaction more than worship. There is still a reverence in place but it does not get in the way of being friends.

See, this sounds sane. As a Catholic(and only speaking from my own experience but it's probably more than me) nuns are to marry their 'husband' and girls are to listen to their 'father'.

Like God is a male to us and we are to act in accordance with that as we are to do all males. And all other kinds of gender bullsheets.

DragonsFriend
08 Jul 2016, 13:56
Well, for what it's worth I was raised Catholic and went to school in a Catholic grade school. A lot of what my brothers and sisters learned managed to go over my head. I learned that love was the lesson of the faith instead of the fear and guilt that my siblings learned. It wasn't until I was sixteen or so that my eyes opened up to the "dark side" of Christianity represented. I "officially" left the church in 1972 by filing the proper paperwork but I had not practiced the faith since 1967 when I left home. That was a rough two years for me because I had no contact with my family and I was living on the street.
Sorry - I got distracted, At least the Catholics have a female close to God in the "virgin" Mary, the mother of Jesus. Even in grade school we were taught that Jesus "could not refuse a request from his mother". A idea that was planted by the "first miracle" of changing water into wine.
The concept of a male and female deity was easily acceptable to me and that the feminine was the stronger of the two was, at first, an easy point as well. It wasn't until I found myself without the ability to begin a new group without a high priestess that I realized that a more balanced relationship was needed.

Medusa
08 Jul 2016, 14:03
You know you bring up something I find interesting. I'm betting our experiences in Catholicism might be both similar and very different depending upon our gender. It might make a good topic to discuss.

Dumuzi
08 Jul 2016, 22:55
Well it depends on what religion you are talking about. The two most popular ones, generally speaking, Christianity and Islam are very much against the idea of god have a wife, let alone a harem.

Even the idea of making god similar to humans, while I do understand where they are coming from, I wish they would have been more specific. Heck, if you divide Christians into Catholics and all the rest, Islam would be the biggest monotheistic religion and it specifically opposes the idea that god is like a human or any other thing we know in this universe. That's one of the points it made against the pagans back in the day.

So I wish a little more of homework would have been done for this article. It is still very interesting though. And I feel it applies more to pagan traditions, especially when you look at Egyptian, Greek and even Hindu traditions.

B. de Corbin
09 Jul 2016, 06:01
Well it depends on what religion you are talking about. The two most popular ones, generally speaking, Christianity and Islam are very much against the idea of god have a wife, let alone a harem.

Methinks you mistook what was intended as a model to be literal...