PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of genetic manipulation?

anubisa
28 Jul 2018, 20:36
So earlier today I read this article: https://www.vox.com/2018/7/24/17596354/mitochondrial-replacement-therapy-three-parent-baby-controversy on Vox.com. Basically they're wanting to make the perfect baby, health-wise, with mitochondrial replacement therapy. As much as I would like to think of it being nice to have a perfect and healthy baby, I don't think you should mess with genetics. We simply don't know what could happen. Is it moral or ethical? I don't think it is. I think we should think before we leap. What do you think?

Bartmanhomer
28 Jul 2018, 20:41
In all honesty, I really don't have a straight answer on this one. :(

Sean R. R.
29 Jul 2018, 00:28
Leap all the way! I support this as long as it doesn't go overboard with la carte babies.

MaskedOne
29 Jul 2018, 06:31
I think the ability to look at shiny new technologies/sciences and not explore them is not particularly well developed in human beings and that we're better off trying to build an ethical and legal framework to regulate how we pursue various genetic abilities than we are trying to prevent people from exploring this field of science in the first place. The first option is more likely to work.

anunitu
29 Jul 2018, 06:48
I agree with Mask,we need to explore the legal and ethical aspects before pressing for experimentation. If you look to the past attempts at altering human evolution you see the eugenics attempts,and that lead to very negative results in Germany,history should be a teacher,to avoid bad results,also the attempts to alter our social structure as the one by Pol Pot,re-education camps(forced by torture and other means) watching xmen might give some idea of how things can go very badly.