PDA

View Full Version : Religious Liberty Summit

Hawkfeathers
30 Jul 2018, 06:55
Happening now - The Justice Dep't. is having a panel discussion consisting of a Rabbi, a Sikh, someone from a "faith-based adoption agency", Jack Phillips (the owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop), and a couple of others whose credentials I missed. Jeff Sessions is expected to make some kind of announcement about religious freedom. It's live on Facebook on the 'Now This Politics" page.

Hawkfeathers
30 Jul 2018, 09:08
Here's what Sessions had to say:

http://thehill.com/regulation/administration/399482-sessions-announces-religious-liberty-task-force

iris
30 Jul 2018, 09:47
Why do I feel like "religious" and "people of faith" only really means Christians here..?

MaskedOne
30 Jul 2018, 10:04
Why do I feel like "religious" and "people of faith" only really means Christians here..?

It came from Jeff Sessions...

Anyway, how it'll operate is liable to depend largely on the people below Sessions. I'm not exorbitantly thrilled with the names listed so far but they may surprise me. That said, I expect at least a token gesture at caring about religions beyond Christianity for two reasons

1. It decreases the odds of getting slapped upside the head by federal courts.
2. Rosenstein is a Jew and while he doesn't have much directly to do with this task force, he is the second highest ranking DOJ official and outranks everyone named to it. Actively targeting your boss's faith is normally bad form.

B. de Corbin
31 Jul 2018, 05:38
Just call them The Jesus Mafia.

Or, maybe, The Ministry of YHVH.

Prickly Pear
31 Jul 2018, 09:49
Hmm. I remain very skeptical here. I doubt that there is the intention for any real positive interfaith understanding. More likely a token gesture, and a little voice keeps reminding me of morality squads- I'm thinking of Iran specifically, but there have been plenty. I have real concerns that the religious freedom of which they speak is the freedom to repress the religion or non-religion of others.