PDA

View Full Version : Help me name my puppy!

LiadanWillows
30 May 2011, 20:59
We are getting a new puppy! As some of you may know I have a German Shepherd named Alice who is 1 year old. We are now getting a male German Shepherd puppy who expected to be born June 6th =). We are having some difficulty deciding on a name so I thought you guys could help us by voting. We have six names picked and I would like it if you would pick your favorite! Also if you have any other name suggestions we appreciate it.

Miles
Sirius
Xander
Aragon
Loki
Logan

Thanks for your help!

Ophidia
31 May 2011, 00:56
Start hollering the names & using them in doggy-related commands.

And then think of the potential consequences of using 'Loki' in any such sentence.

"Bad Loki! No! We do not poop on the carpet!"

thalassa
31 May 2011, 05:06
please not Xander...I have a friend having a baby who will be named Xander, and I really don't want to think of the dog...

I sort of like Miles...

yukanaoe
31 May 2011, 05:49
i love xander :) our next son will be names alexander ^.^

Gobae
31 May 2011, 10:16
You may not want to use names of actual deities, since (depending on your pagan belief system) you will effectively be invoking their name each time you talk, reprimand, train, praise the dog.

In short, I find that people who have named their dog Loki or Gwydion (or another "trickster" god) have gotten more than they bargained for!

LiadanWillows
31 May 2011, 13:03
You may not want to use names of actual deities, since (depending on your pagan belief system) you will effectively be invoking their name each time you talk, reprimand, train, praise the dog.

In short, I find that people who have named their dog Loki or Gwydion (or another "trickster" god) have gotten more than they bargained for!

I agree with you there. My boyfriend is who really wants that name... I told him I am pretty against it. I was told "you need to lighten up" and then I asked him if he would name the dog Jesus (he isn't Christian actually he is Atheist but it was just to prove a point) and he said no. So I think Loki is probably not going to happen.

Ophidia
31 May 2011, 18:09
^ made me lol.

"No! Bad Jesus! No!"

"Sit! Sit, Jesus, sit! Good dog!"

"Play dead, Jesus! Play dead!"

yukanaoe
31 May 2011, 23:50
omg "play dead jesus'
that made me feel dirty just reading it ^.^ roflmao!!!
thank you for that! :)

FantasyWitch
31 May 2011, 23:55
Loki is so cute :) x

LiadanWillows
01 Jun 2011, 08:04
omg "play dead jesus'
that made me feel dirty just reading it ^.^ roflmao!!!
thank you for that! :)

I second that!

ChainLightning
01 Jun 2011, 11:40
I'm still rather partial to Stay. Although Cumstain, Labia and Sexy are pretty damn high on my list, too.

Sorry. ;)

Ophidia
01 Jun 2011, 19:26
I'm partial to Karma, myself, but it is kind of a girl dog name :) Our dog was supposed to be named Voodoo, but my husband started calling her Chelsea (and he misspelled it as Chelsie) for some ungodly reason.

yukanaoe
02 Jun 2011, 01:02
^lol when we had first gotten our newest cat we were stumped for a name. we have a thing for 4 letter pet names... it jsut kinda happened. (Mako Nala Coby) and we wanted to name him peanut. so we went with Pnut :) TOTALLY fits his personality :) Pnut ^.^

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 AM ----------

we say "hey P to the nut!" roflmao

Thjoth
02 Jun 2011, 14:28
It would seem like naming the puppy Loki would bring some ill fortune...

I voted for Sirius, just so you can look at him and be like "Why so Sirius?"

ChainLightning
02 Jun 2011, 16:36
It would seem like naming the puppy Loki would bring some ill fortune...

Oh, I don't know...

I had snakes named Odin and Freya. I even had one named Lord. The rabbits that Lord ate were all named after "minor" or less mainstream religions, too, by the way, before they were fed to the snake.

But, using a bit of semantics, I guess ill fortune did befall them. Not me so much. The reptiles have all been dispatched, over the years.

LiadanWillows
02 Jun 2011, 17:41
I voted for Sirius, just so you can look at him and be like "Why so Sirius?"

I thought that as well! Also I am a Harry Potter nerd. I do like Xander a lot though. I like it even more when you put it with Alice. Its Alice, Xander (sounding like Alexander). Cool huh? My bf thinks I am R tarded tho :(

LiadanWillows
05 Jun 2011, 16:28
Well it is official. We have decided to name the puppy Miles. The deciding factor was the name meanings. We looked them all up and decided which one we liked the best. The origin of Miles is Latin and/or German and means soldier/merciful/ eager to please. All qualities that German Shepherds (and most dogs) possess. So yup Miles it is!

LiadanWillows
03 Aug 2011, 23:22
Update! We got the puppy!

His name is Miles

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/285348_633920217291_65006152_33109230_2674853_n.jp g

FantasyWitch
04 Aug 2011, 03:37
AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is so cute! X

LiadanWillows
04 Aug 2011, 23:30
Thanks FW :)

Larix
14 Jun 2012, 17:10
Aragon sounds nice to me. :)

And how did you name your puppy in the end?

Larix
14 Jun 2012, 17:13
What come to my mind just now:

Frau Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger, a German minister, once named her dog "Dr. Martin Luther".

Perhaps "Leutheusser-Schnurrenberger" migt be a good name for a cat? :)

LiadanWillows
14 Jun 2012, 17:52
His name is Miles he is actually a year old now :)

Larix
18 Jun 2012, 21:27
Give my best regards to Miles! :)