PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a goddess

St. Jebus
24 Sep 2011, 16:40
Is there a goddess who would manifest as a woman clothed in blue? She would also have a portfolio dealing with children or memories.
Thanks for the help.sorry I can't be more specific.

Dez
24 Sep 2011, 17:27
I can't think of one off the top of my head...you might have the best luck asking her who she is if you get the chance.

thalassa
24 Sep 2011, 18:04
Well...Mnemosyne is the Greek embodiment/goddess of memory (and mother of the 9 muses), but not tied to children specifically that I know of...but, her Roman counterpart, Moneta is either a goddess in her own right and/or an epithet of Juno...and while this specific epithet has nothing specifically to do with children, Juno herself (as a goddess of/for women) is by default (and several of her epithets) connected to motherhood, childbirth, etc (though there is come contention of the connection between Moneta=Mnemosyne as a linguistic mistake).

(Mnemosyne by Rosetti)
http://www.rossettiarchive.org/img/thumbs_big/s261.wsfa.jpg

Dez
24 Sep 2011, 20:21
If I remember right, you're looking for a Celtic deity, right? I just though of a potential lead, too:

There were shrines to Coventina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventina) along Hadrian's Wall: Not much is known about her, but she was a river goddess, and her name has been tentatively tied to a word for memory by some (http://books.google.com/books?id=9AwYFcNbzNEC&pg=PA109&lpg=PA109&dq=coventina,+memory&source=bl&ots=yCbvip8MFc&sig=mJ-KmssJRYQSTRnSLmvaI9lIB0g&hl=en&ei=Map-ToeqMMjkiAK898C6Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=coventina%2C%20memory&f=false).

St. Jebus
25 Sep 2011, 06:27
Yah, I did ask her who she was the last time I saw her. She smiled and disappeared. And I'm not sure if this was my own brain rewiring, but she had a blue aura. The reason that I thought children or memory is that when I first saw her, I was(in my meditation) exploring a location from my very early childhood, a day care I had attended as a kindergartner. Does that help at all?

B. de Corbin
25 Sep 2011, 07:13
Well, this isn't very pagany, but I'll throw it out anyway-

The Catholic's "Mary" is always depicted in blue (which represents purity), and one of her specific charges is to watch over children.

It might be worth while to look at who she was before she was a Christian deity, if you want an actual pagan deity (personally, I just let her hang around with my pagan pantheon because I like her. I'm very accepting of minority deities).

St. Jebus
25 Sep 2011, 07:26
hmmm....I have no idea where to even start researching where the Pre-Christian idea of Mary is from.

B. de Corbin
25 Sep 2011, 11:52
I don't know either, but, at guess, I'd try the Romanized version of Isis. Apuleius (around the second century a.d.) is quite clear in his opinion that she was pretty much a universal mother/protector goddess. It would have been an easy transformation.

St. Jebus
25 Sep 2011, 11:59
Hm. I'm not really sure....I feel like I might be barking up the wrong tree with the mother imagery. On the other hand, I could be completely wrong about any of the other imagery as well, too. Thanks for the help, though.

Dez
25 Sep 2011, 13:48
Don't worry if you don't figure it out right away...I had Frey and Gerda show up in my life last fall around this time. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, since they didn't "fit" with what I was thinking...she doesn't care what I call her, and he wouldn't tell me. Around March I saw a picture on another site that was my "ah-hah" moment.

One of those things I really wish I'd payed more attention to when discussed on the old board.

When you figure it out, you'll know.

Caelia
25 Sep 2011, 15:19
I don't know either, but, at guess, I'd try the Romanized version of Isis. Apuleius (around the second century a.d.) is quite clear in his opinion that she was pretty much a universal mother/protector goddess. It would have been an easy transformation.

I was thinking Nut, to be honest...

B. de Corbin
25 Sep 2011, 16:53
Could well be - all I really know is Apuleius, so I'm certain to be missing something. Many somethings.

Caelia
25 Sep 2011, 16:54
Oh, I wasn't saying you're wrong (though I take a lot of Greco-Roman accounts with a grain of salt), it's just where my mind went ;)

B. de Corbin
26 Sep 2011, 01:47
Oh I understand completely!

Like I said, I really don't know enough - I was making a suggestion as to where to begin looking.

My thinking was that something which went into Catholic culture at an early date most likely (purely at an educated guess) came from Rome. I know that the deities which were picked up by the Romans were changed in the process (the Roman Isis was somewhat different from the Egyptian Isis), but that's where the trail might go, I'm thinkin'.

It's probably an impossible question to answer exactly, since it's also likely that the concept of "Mary" is a comglomerate - more or less.

Caelia
28 Sep 2011, 22:11
Oh, yes. At the risk of going off topic I remember the interesting conversation where I had to explain to my Catholic siblings that the epithet "The Queen of Heaven" wasn't exclusive to their faith.

vaiskaz
03 Dec 2011, 06:28
I was just thinking

Zephyranth
15 Jul 2012, 19:01
www.godchecker.com has a lot of nice little blurbs about deities. If you're looking for Celtic specifically, just go to that section and go through looking for mother goddesses. If you find one that gives you any sort of feeling, just look them up in Google images. Best of luck to you and Blessed Be!

Maria de Luna
17 Aug 2012, 02:54
I was just thinking an image search would be a very interesting, (if rediculously broad,) way to start. I ran a search for blue goddess of memory/children, you get a huge mismash from useful to silly... ya know like every google image search... but it is a place to start... don't know how useful in the longrun, but a place to start.

Ula
17 Aug 2012, 06:43
She isn't Celtic so I didn't say anything but Frau Holda is a Yule goddess and could be in blue. She helps women get pregnant, has souls come through her lake and takes in children who pass away. She is also a weaver and in Heathen myth waving is associated with wryd. This is a pic someone did of her. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-udoqVl-xgsc/Topq9kDKGWI/AAAAAAAACE8/O_I8QwxIgsc/Mother%252520Holda.jpg

JamesByrne
17 Aug 2012, 07:31
Taken in the context of celtic colour symbolism that wouldnt be a celtic deity, the blue clothes would indicate a hostile foreign origin. Id say the op was unlikely to know the iconography tho so it probably wouldnt have popped up for them subconsciously. A more likely iconography would be the christian/latin we were all raised with. A blue clothed goddess associated with children screams mary. I wouldnt classify the ops experience as anything more then basically psychological though. Whatever role that figure played in the ops life (maybe as a part of forming a spiritual sense of the maternal archetype) was probably being pushed forward by the ops subconscious because something needed to be addressed. A book of childhood memories would probably imo indicate something from the past needed to be worked through whether it was something from childhood or whether it was a loss of a maternal figure... who knows.

Meadowsweet
19 Aug 2012, 14:02
hmmm....I have no idea where to even start researching where the Pre-Christian idea of Mary is from.

It could probably be Asherah. She was worshipped by the Israelites until 6th century BC.