PDA

View Full Version : Prayers, Chants, etc for Children

thalassa
09 Oct 2010, 00:26
Mealtime Prayers for Pagan Families

Blessed be the Earth for giving birth to this food
Blessed be the Sun for nourishing it
Blessed be the Wind for carrying its seed
Blessed be the Rain for quenching its thirst.
Blessed be the hands that helped to grow this food,
To bring it to our tables
To nourish our minds, bodies, and spirits.
Blessed be our friends, our families, and our loved ones.
Blessed Be.

Blessed be the Earth for giving birth to this food
Blessed be the Sun for nourishing it
Blessed be the Wind for carrying its seed
Blessed be the Rain for quenching its thirst.
Blessed be the hands that helped to grow this food,
To bring it to our tables
To nourish our minds, bodies, and spirits.
Blessed be our friends, our families, and our loved ones.
Blessed Be.

Lady and Lord,
Thank you for this food which we’re going to eat
Thank you for the earth in which it grew,
the rain that watered it,
the wind which gave it breath
and the sun which gave it life
Thank you for the life which was given so we can eat
Blessed be.

Lord and Lady, watch over us,
and bless us as we eat.
Bless this food, this bounty of earth,
we thank you, so mote it be.

Earth who gives to us our food,
Sun who makes it ripe and good,
Dearest earth and dearest sun,
Joy and Love for all you’ve done

Give thanks to the Mother Earth.
Give thanks to the Father Sun.
Give thanks to the plants in the garden,
Where the Mother and Father are One.

thalassa
09 Oct 2010, 00:26
Nightey-Night: Bedtime Prayers for Pagan Babies

Now I lay me down to sleep,
Please help me learn my world to keep.
To guard the air and shies of blue,
The oceans, lakes and rivers too.
Save the mighty forest lands,
The plains, the shores, the desert sands.
Protect all creatures, wild and free,
In air, on land, and in the sea.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
Please help me learn my world to keep.
To guard the air and shies of blue,
The oceans, lakes and rivers too.
Save the mighty forest lands,
The plains, the shores, the desert sands.
Protect all creatures, wild and free,
In air, on land, and in the sea.

Day is done, it’s time for bed
Goddess bless my sleepy head.
In the morning, when the sun does rise
God will bless my open eyes.
Day is done, it’s time for bed
Goddess bless my sleepy head.
In the morning, soft or bright
God will bless my heart with light.

As I lay snuggled in my bed,
Pillow tucked beneath my head,
Maiden, bring me joyful dreams.
Mother, bring me peace, serene.
Wisest Crone, watch over me,
Until the light of dawn I see.
Brightest Blessings!!!

From the east unto the West
The Sun has traveled and has blessed us
I give thanks to this day.
For every Rock and every Tree
from the Desert to the Sea
The Moon will glow to let us know
That blessed we will be.

(this can actually be sung to the tune of Rose, Rose, Rose, Rose for anyone that knows it)

Mother moon and Father Sun
Now our day is almost done
Watch over me here where I lie
From your home up in the sky
Free will for all and harm to none
As I have willed it; It shall be done.
And now its time for me to sleep
Sweet dreams for all and Blessed be.

Now I lay me down to rest
I pray that all the world be blessed
Lady Moon and Sister Star watch over me from afar
Mother Earth is always there
And keeps me safe within her care
The Lord of Dreams will dance and sing
And happy dreams to me will bring
And when I wake to greet the day
Brother Sun will light my way.

The earth is big and fat and round,
I love the sky, the sea and the ground,
I love the birds and dogs and sheep,
And all the animals that fall asleep,
I love the flowers and rocks and trees,
I love the earth, and it loves me.

Now I lay down in my bed,
And pull the covers up to my head.
I’ll dream of dragons and fairies bright,
And pixies and wizards and elves tonight.
I’ll dream of some sort of magical place, and
Wake in the morning with a smile on my face.

thalassa
09 Oct 2010, 00:32
Sleepy Time Spell Bear
http://nuannaarpoq.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/sophie-and-the-nightynight-bunny.jpg?w=448&h=329
(http://nuannaarpoq.wordpress.com/adventures-in-parenting/crafts-for-kids/sleepy-spell-bear/)

thalassa
09 Oct 2010, 01:25
The Candle Contest
by The Open Hearth Foundation

Once upon a time, four young witches visited an elder at her small house where they talked long into the night about many wondrous things. Finally it came time to sleep and the elder said,

"I'm sorry friends... but there is only one spare bed, so the rest must sleep on the floor."

"So who should get the bed?" asked one.

"And how should we decide?" asked another.

The elder thought for a moment and said,

"I'll place a candle on the table for each of you to blow out... and the one to use the best magick will win the bed."

So the first witch approached the candle and focused on the air. Soon a strong wind was circling the room and knocking pictures from the walls. Finally the wind hit upon the candle and blew out the flame.

"Very good," said the elder as she re-lit the candle and re-hung the pictures, "Who would like to try next?"

So the second witch approached the candle and focused on the flame. Soon the flame was three-feet tall and burning like a torch. The candle was quickly consumed and the flame snuffed itself out.

"Again very good," said the elder as she set out a new candle and inspected the ceiling for scorch marks, "And who would like to try next?"

So the third witch approached the candle and focused on the wax. Soon the wax was melting and forming a gooey puddle that ran off the table. The wick was eventually drowned and the flame sputtered out.

"Again very good," said the elder as she set out a new candle and pried melted wax off the table, "And who is left to try?"

So the fourth witch, who was the youngest of all, approached the candle and thought for a moment. Then licking her thumb and forefinger, she reached out her hand and pinched out the flame.

"Ah ha!" said the elder, "That's the best of all!"

"What?" cried the others. "How can that be? You said the best magick would win!" "And it has," said the elder, "For the first, best magick is sometimes simple mundane effort." So it was that the three witches had to sleep on the floor, and the youngest got the bed.
(Granted to public domain as long as attribution is given to The Open Hearth Foundation.)

thalassa
09 Oct 2010, 01:26
Catechism for a Witch's Child

When they ask to see your gods
your book of prayers
show them lines
drawn delicately with veins
on the underside of a bird's wing
tell them you believe
in giant sycamores mottled
and stark against a winter sky
and in nights so frozen
stars crack open spilling streams of molten ice to earth
and tell them how you drank
the holy wine of honeysuckle
on a warm spring day
and of the softness
of your mother
who never taught you
death was life's reward
but who believed in the earth
and the sun
and a million, million light years
of being.

by J.L. Stanley

volcaniclastic
19 Oct 2010, 15:53
(I do believe I originally stole this from something that Thal linked pre-crash. I'm going through and taking the saved items off my computer.)

Amethyst
A "Master Healing Crystal". Amethyst's most noted healing quality is its ability to purify and transmute all forms of negativity. For children "in transition", whether it be a growth spurt, a major disappointment such as failing a grade, or even hearing the devastating news of divorce or death, Amethyst accepts all negative emotions and provides comfort through spiritual acceptance. For children with various disabilities or with either physical or emotional pain, an Amethyst cluster in the room will help clear unwanted discharged energies, bringing the room back into a balanced state. For local pain, hold an Amethyst directly on or over the area for up to 20 minutes.

Apache Tear
The "Grief Stone". Apache Tear is actually Obsidian and is very dark but transparent. When you hold a small piece up to the light you can see through it. However, if you have been using the Apache Tear to absorb negative emotions, you will see it cloud up and become opaque. Sometimes it will clear up after the grieving is over.

Aventurine
The "Leadership Stone". Aventurine strengthens and restores the Heart energy, providing a balance of male and female energies. This crystal is green and very loving, embracing, and protective of the Heart. Many children who are shy, timid, or suppressing their leadership qualities need a crystal like Aventurine. This stone helps the individual to become active and to initiate action on their own accord. Asthmatic children seem attracted to this stone as it opens up the lungs and they experience a sense of relief.

Carnelian
A "Self-Esteem Crystal". Carnelian is used to help restore feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem. The deep orange colours relate well to strengthening and blending the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd chakras, promoting self-security and self-love. The pinker shades relate to enhancing love between child and parent, through self-acceptance. This crystal is also used for dermatological ailments such as acne, by holding the stone over the skin and moving it in circles for several minutes, several times a day.

Clear Quartz
The "Healing Crystal". Clear Quartz is a general all-purpose healing crystal. Each Quartz crystal has its own energy signature and healing mission. When a child makes contact with the right crystal, the energy is discharged either very slowly, or quite suddenly so it feels like a very mild electric shock. This natural energy can be just enough to transform a disharmonious thought pattern, burn off some negative emotional state, or even place the spiritual seeds of one's future into consciousness. Using a cluster of Clear Quartz crystals for children is particularly nice, as so many different types of crystals (record-keepers, transmitters, channelers, etc.) are included. There's a crystal for any occasion! Crystal clusters are also helpful to organize scattered thoughts and to deflect negative energies.

Rose Quartz
"The Love Stone". Rose Quartz is another terrific general healing crystal for children especially for those who have a lot of hurt feelings or aggressive tendencies. Rose Quartz can soothe a broken heart shattered by seeing raw Reality - the ways things are, rather than the way one wants them to be. For hyperactive children Rose Quartz soothes erratic emotional states, anxiety, fear, compulsions, and many other mental disorders. Some neurological benefits have also been noticed with muscle spasms relaxing when Rose Quartz is guided over the nerve centres. For young hearts, Rose Quartz helps to keep the Heart chakra open, vital and protected, filtering in good energies and keeping out the bad.

Lapis Lazuli
A "Psychic Balance Stone". Lapis Lazuli is an incredible stabilizer for children who show psychic gifts early in life. The deep blue colour stimulates expansion of consciousness in a supportive way, promoting purification and clarity of spiritual insight. Lapis Lazuli provides self-acceptance of one's given gifts and encourages openness of one's spiritual awareness. This stone is highly prized for its protective powers and stimulation of all psychic senses.

Jade
A "Soother of Emotions Stone". Jade is easily obtained and can be openly worn by children as regular "jewelry". Emotionally sensitive children often need a supportive system to ensure that their feelings do not overwhelm them. Jade enhances confidence, self-assurance, and self-reliance. Jade is very inspirational in helping one achieve one's desires in life. This stone is often available from a Chinese goods merchant and is often sold in the shape of thin coins.

Tiger Eye
A "Grounding Stone". Tiger Eye has thin rutile inclusions, and when rocked back and forth the light reflects in a certain way as if the tiger's eye were winking at you! Let your children explore this fascinating stone and help them find the flashing Tiger's Eye. This stone is excellent for grounding psychic energy and providing security for opening up the psychic centers. Sometimes children get carried away and get lost in their dream world. Tiger Eye helps to pull them back into their bodies (after astral travel). This stone is very useful to put action to one's thoughts. Tiger's Eye is about being practical. Perhaps every parent needs one for their child before trips to the shopping mall.

Pyrite
A "Protection Stone". Iron Pyrite comes in many different shapes, from sun discs to cubes. Children are attracted to its shiny brassy surfaces. Pyrite is like a small mirror; negative energy is reflected away. The terror of being unprotected is reduced. There is also a feeling of physical empowerment, that life in the physical form is perfect, and love is abundant.

volcaniclastic
19 Oct 2010, 15:57
(Probably also stolen from you...)

Children's Chants and Prayers

#1:
From the east unto the West
The Sun has traveled and has blessed us
I give thanks to this day.
For every Rock and every Tree
from the Desert to the Sea
The Moon will glow to let us know
That blessed we will be.

#2:
The earth is big and fat and round,
I love the sky, the sea and the ground,
I love the birds and dogs and sheep,
And all the animals that fall asleep,
I love the flowers and rocks and trees,
I love the earth, and it loves me.

#3:
Mother of all things, watch over me tonight,
Hold me in your arms, until the morning light.

Anti-Monster Chant:

Ten Little Monsters
(Tune: Ten Little Indians)

One little, two little,
Three little monsters
Four little, five little,
Six little monsters
Seven little, eight little,
Nine little monsters
Ten of them can't scare me!

Ten little, nine little,
Eight little monsters
Seven little, six little,
Five little monsters,
Four little, three little,
Two little monsters,
One of them can't scare me!

None of them can scare me!

thalassa
19 Oct 2010, 18:29
lol, the first one I actually wrote, and didn't just have in my collection...

thalassa
19 Oct 2010, 18:29
hey!! this was one of my faves!! awesome!

littlenova
20 Nov 2010, 07:33
Sleepy Time Spell Bear
http://nuannaarpoq.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/sophie-and-the-nightynight-bunny.jpg?w=448&h=329
(http://nuannaarpoq.wordpress.com/adventures-in-parenting/crafts-for-kids/sleepy-spell-bear/)
This is a super cute idea and perfect for my rhyme loving little boy. I'm so gonna do this. Thanks!

thalassa
03 Jun 2011, 17:19
A Book List for Pagan Families
This is a general list of books I have either read, used or heard really really good things of. I would advise looking them up on Amazon and reading reviews to figure out if its a book you are interested in or not–some of the books that I *don’t* like still come very highly recommended/reviewed by other Pagan parents (or parents in general).

Books on Pagan parenting/raising Pagan children:
Pagan Family by Ceisiwr Serith (totally AWESOME!!)
Pagan Parenting and Pagan Homeschooling by Kristin Madden (I own both and have read the first–it was okay, but I wasn’t overly impressed which is probably why I havent read the second yet…though I have heard good stuff, even if you don’t plan to homeschool)
Circle Round by Starhawk (This is a generally well reviewed and recommended book, bu I really wasn’t a fan of it, though it had some decent ideas in it)
Celebrating the Great Mother by Cait Johnson (I LOVE THIS BOOK)
Family Wicca and Raising Witches by Ashleen O’Gaea (I have mixed feelings about both of these, though I like Raising Witches better than Family Wicca, even so both have some decent ideas and concepts)
WiccaCraft for Families by Margie McArthur (I haven’t read this one yet, its still on my wishlist)

Non-Pagan books with good ideas:
Festivals Family and Food by Diana Carey (the holidays are mainly Christian ones, but the crafts, projects, etc are great)
Seven times the Sun by Shea Darian (also fairly Christian, but adaptable)
10 Principles of Spiritual Parenting and Busy but Balanced by Mimi Doe (I have the 1st and like it, and the 2nd is on my wishlist)
Meditating with Children by Deborah Rozman (exactly what it sounds like)

Craft and activities books:
Earthwise by Carol Petrash (craft/activities for little ones)
Walk Like a Bear, Stand Like a Tree, Run Like the Wind by Carol Bassett (a kids yoga book)
EcoArt! by Laurie Carlson
Starbright:Meditiations for Children by Maureen Garth (this is actually a series of four books all by the same author, while not an activity book, per se, I put this here because it is meant to be read by the parent as a meditation for the child to do…and we like the two we have so far)
A Kid’s Herb Book by Lesley Tierra———I like this, though there are parts that I don’t like also. Someone that is a isn’t as focused on clinical evidence based CAM, probably won’t have as many issues with it as I do. That being said, it is PERFECT for a preschool/kindergarden aged child—there is even some things in there that are adaptable for toddlers, and others that can be modified for older children.
Witch Crafts by Willow Polson (parts of this book can be previewed on Google Books, and what I have seen of it, I like…but I haven’t bought it yet)

Pagan books for Children:

A Witches Primer by Lorin Manderly
by Wendy Pfeffer:
A New Beginning: Celebrating the Spring Equinox
The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice
We Gather Together: Celebrating the Autumn Harvest
Seven Spirals: A Chakra Sutra for Kids by Deena Haiber
D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths and D’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myths

Storybooks:

Aisha’s Moonlit Walk by Anika Stafford

Earth Mother by Ellen Jackson (the kids LOVE this book)
Also by Ellen Jackson:
The Winter Solstice
The Summer Solstice
The Spring Equinox
The Autumn Equinox
All I see is part of me by Chara Curtis
Child of Faerie, Child of Earth by Jane Yolen
When the Moon is Full:a lunar year by Penny Pollock
Wild Child, Winter Waits, Summer’s Vacation and Spring’s Sprung by Lynne Plourde
The Witch Next Door And Other Stories by Norman Birdwell
This is the collection of “The Witch Next Door” stories by the author of the Clifford books. I like it because it is ADORABLE, and the stereotypical witch caricture is presented as something admirable.
Z Is for Zeus: A Greek Mythology Alphabet
(the company that publishes these have a whole series of themed alphabets–from countries and states, to birds and wild animals, to sports and historical figures)
The Everything Seed by Carole Martignacco
To Every Thing There is a Season by Leo and Diane Dillon (yes, this is based on the bible verse…but its still darn good)
The Secret of Saying Thanks and Grandad’s Prayers of Earth, both by Douglas Wood
Brother Eagle, Sister Sky by Susan Jeffers

For some Pagan families, this might not even be something you think/care about…but with a momma finishing her biology degree, in our beliefs, evolution is nature’s way, and I really can’t think of a better learning point for my children…
Our Family Tree by Lisa Westburg Peters
by Jennifer Morgan –
Born with a Bang
From Lava to Life
Mammals who Morph

Sophie’s favorite:
On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier…we have it as a board book, but there is also a hardcover version with CD on Amazon

Dez
29 Dec 2011, 16:53
This thread just became pertinent to me.

Thought I'd add a couple I've stumbled across:

A Psalm for Gaia
Written by Dolores Stewart Ricci

The Earth is my mother, I shall not want.
She nurtures me in green pastures;
she freshens me with flowing waters.
She restores my body and awakens my soul.
Although I walk in the shadow
of changing seasons and passing time,
I will not fear death,
for the essence of life is within me,
the peace and beauty of Earth comfort me.
She teaches me to harvest her abundant gifts,
she fills my heart with compassion,
I drink from the cup of simple pleasures.
As I look to the skies with wonder
at the immensity of the universe,
I know I am blessed beyond measure
to live all the days of my life
in the bountiful house of Gaia.

A Heathen Child's Prayer (http://rivergarth.blogspot.com/2009/03/heathen-childs-bedtime-prayer.html)

Magnificent Mani
God of the Moon
God of Dreams
Protector of Children...

Help me to have no bad dreams,
Keep me warm,
and safe in my bed.
Hail Mani!

pixelcat
28 May 2013, 20:22
I love this thread! I have already saved so many little prayers and added a ton of recommended books to my amazon. As a Pagan mother raising a child in a multi religion household, in a primarily Baptist state I have been looking for books to add both science and magic to her nighttime stories. Thank you!

Auseklis
10 Sep 2013, 21:56
When my member status upgrades and I am able to post links etc, I would like to post links to songs that a friend recorded specifically for children. Many children who sing are from the Ananda Marga River School.

Luna
18 Jan 2015, 00:41
Ahh I love these ones :)

I also tend to make up stories of faries, monsters and much more.