PDA

View Full Version : dark paganism

the_winds_of_mayhem
18 Jul 2012, 23:17
Well im a dark pagan and i have always felt kinda weird on these fourms it seems for the run of the mill pagan im to dark but for someone on the left hand path im not dark enough do we have any other dark pagans on the board that don't seem to fit in any box? if so i would love to know.-Raven

Jennii
18 Jul 2012, 23:18
What would you consider a "dark" pagan?

the_winds_of_mayhem
18 Jul 2012, 23:25
I think this pretty much sums up what i think feel and believe http://www.waningmoon.com/realm/drkpagan.html

Medusa
18 Jul 2012, 23:25
Most of the Pagans here are not exactly white lighters with fairy wings. :p

I'm way on the left handed path. Satanist here. I'm dark. But I love kittehs, pink stuff and sparkles!

Denarius
19 Jul 2012, 00:28
I read that whole dark pagan page, and it basically read as a description of what Gray Jedi believe...

MaskedOne
19 Jul 2012, 00:41
In general, the site is mostly grey. The members affording both dark and light their place and/or largely not bothering to breal things into a dualistic system.

I'm a fan of Oppenheimer's Light, err wait....
Wrong forum, will save Oppenheimer's Light for a different message board...
:)

DrStrange
19 Jul 2012, 02:23
I read that whole dark pagan page, and it basically read as a description of what Gray Jedi believe...

They lost me at, "We are the children of the Dark Mother".:rolleyes:

Reminds me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Willow's description of a Wiccan group as a, "Bunch of wanna-Blessed Be's".:D

Witcher
19 Jul 2012, 02:48
I respect everyone and realize that diversity is a strength and not a weakness but I have to say that whenever I see a "Gothic Grimoire" or "Dark Wicca" or "Blak Nyte's Magickal Librum Obscurum Guide to Dark Wytch-kraft" I kind of cringe. I'm not saying Wiccans, witches and other Pagans are all light and happiness and most of the ones I know definitely are NOT and those all-light types tend to be more New Age or New Thought pseudo-Buddhist types than Pagans. But most of "dark witchcraft" Paganism I run into is really, really fluffy (and I usually hate that term). It's been my personal experience that the majority are the dreaded special-dark-snowflake archetype.

The more serious left-hand or "dark" religionists I have met have been drawn to LaVeyan Satanism (if they happen to be atheists) or more Hoodoo-type practices (if they're theists of any stripe).

Denarius
19 Jul 2012, 02:52
Dark Mother is also a marvel comics character... I didn't want to bring it up, but that made me laugh.

Gardenia
19 Jul 2012, 04:21
I think this pretty much sums up what i think feel and believe http://www.waningmoon.com/realm/drkpagan.html

Reading that it seems I could pretty much be considered a dark pagan, but I have never considered myself as such mostly because...

It is important to remember that focusing only on the darker side is just as dangerous as focusing on the lighter side. Balance is important, and even though some may relate to one aspect more than the other, we must always remain open to the other aspects.

Balance. Like many hedgewitches, I consider myself neither dark nor light, but somewhere in a balance between the two. Both 'sides' play important roles in my path, so it doesn't really make sense to identify as a dark pagan, at least not anymore than it would to say I'm a light pagan.

Tylluan Penry
19 Jul 2012, 05:03
OkaY, i read the link. Are you a dark pagan or a balanced pagan then?

Zephyranth
19 Jul 2012, 08:45
Balance. Like many hedgewitches, I consider myself neither dark nor light, but somewhere in a balance between the two. Both 'sides' play important roles in my path, so it doesn't really make sense to identify as a dark pagan, at least not anymore than it would to say I'm a light pagan.
Balance is definitely an important factor. I just personally strive to always do the best thing... I don't really see the point of being a 'dark' Pagan. From what I saw, it basically said that it's important to acknowledge that chaos exists in nature... Well, yeah. Duh... I don't think realistically that anyone but extremists could ever deny that fact. By that definition, most people are 'dark' Pagans.

collyridian_monk
19 Jul 2012, 10:33
Balance is definitely an important factor. I just personally strive to always do the best thing... I don't really see the point of being a 'dark' Pagan. From what I saw, it basically said that it's important to acknowledge that chaos exists in nature... Well, yeah. Duh... I don't think realistically that anyone but extremists could ever deny that fact. By that definition, most people are 'dark' Pagans.

Its description of chaos was also pretty orderly--the old "order out of chaos" adage. I'm not sure the person who wrote that up necessarily thought their philosophy through the way they wanted. I think anyone trying to fit themselves into a "dark" path or a "light" path should first identify whether or not such a dichotomy exists, and then describe exactly what either one is before claiming membership in one or the other. I tried this when I was first dabbling in any kind of alternative spirituality I could find and realized I didn't fit in either, so I dropped the dichotomy altogether.

Zephyranth
19 Jul 2012, 15:42
Its description of chaos was also pretty orderly--the old "order out of chaos" adage. I'm not sure the person who wrote that up necessarily thought their philosophy through the way they wanted. I think anyone trying to fit themselves into a "dark" path or a "light" path should first identify whether or not such a dichotomy exists, and then describe exactly what either one is before claiming membership in one or the other. I tried this when I was first dabbling in any kind of alternative spirituality I could find and realized I didn't fit in either, so I dropped the dichotomy altogether. Yes, I agree... It doesn't much seem like they really knew what they were talking about... I do think it's important to recognize both sides of nature, but I'm not going to try and claim either one of them... I, myself, am a part of nature... Therefore, I am a little bit of both... The way I see it, I can't personally deny that.

DrStrange
19 Jul 2012, 17:22
Dark Mother is also a marvel comics character... I didn't want to bring it up, but that made me laugh.

I would have thought, given your avatar, that you're more of a DC comics fan, my Nerd-brother.:D

the_winds_of_mayhem
19 Jul 2012, 19:54
@tylluan perry i feel i embrace both rather nicely altho im sure most of the white lighters and fluffy bunnies would consider me more dark but i believe in a balance so much its a sickness with me im a libra after all don't tip my scales.

Denarius
19 Jul 2012, 20:28
What matters to me is not who publishes the comics, or even (To a certain extent) what characters are used. I am a fan of GOOD comics.

Tylluan Penry
19 Jul 2012, 22:31
@tylluan perry i feel i embrace both rather nicely altho im sure most of the white lighters and fluffy bunnies would consider me more dark but i believe in a balance so much its a sickness with me im a libra after all don't tip my scales.

Balance is the antidote to sickness, it is never sickness per se. And it's often a mistake to anticipate how others would regard us... believe me, we can be quite mistaken about that.

IMHO if you consider balance is important, then you're not a dark anything (always supposing there is such a thing as a 'dark pagan' and I have to say that article doesn't convince me.

One gentle word to the wise though, because you're new to the forum. A comment such as 'don't tip my scales' could be regarded in some quarters as a tad challenging. I don't know you, why would I want to tip your scales? :-)

MaskedOne
19 Jul 2012, 22:46
Bah...

I like my bright and shinies. Just ignore the flaming sword, Light is always toothless and flaming swords are a figment of your imagination.

DrStrange
20 Jul 2012, 01:29
What matters to me is not who publishes the comics, or even (To a certain extent) what characters are used. I am a fan of GOOD comics.

Well said, and truly spoken.

collyridian_monk
20 Jul 2012, 07:44
Bah...

I like my bright and shinies. Just ignore the flaming sword, Light is always toothless and flaming swords are a figment of your imagination.

Here-here!

ChainLightning
21 Jul 2012, 09:33
What would you consider a "dark" pagan?

This was actually my first thought, too. We'd have to agree on a definition of "dark", here.

And I think some of us wouldn't. Agree, that is.

Corvus
22 Jul 2012, 20:13
Reading that I guess I could be called dark but I don't understand the need to classify it. It's just saying stuff that should be blatantly obvious, no the world is not all sparkles and rainbows and gods aren't always either. I don't feel this title really needs to exist.

Denarius
23 Jul 2012, 01:34
If they want to be "dark" pagans let them, so long as they're not hurting anyone I don't see the problem.

They feel it's an important distinction to make, like how I often claim to be an apatheist. Atheism would fit, but it does't quite get across just how little I care.

I want it to be immediately obvious that you could spackle the grand canyon with all the crap I don't give about gods and whether they exist or not.