05 Feb 2015, 09:06
Whats your fave soup?

(Its cold and I want some)

anunitu
05 Feb 2015, 09:09
Clam chowder(New England,not Manhattan) with oyster crackers

Amadi
05 Feb 2015, 09:14
Every Christmas the leftovers after boxing day get chucked in a soup pot; bacon, turkey, brussels, stuffing, gravy, the lot.
It's. Amazing.

Other than that Tomato all the way!

Hawkfeathers
05 Feb 2015, 09:21
My favorites are: Lentil, Split Pea, Tuscan Bean, Minestrone. Hard to pick just one!

Denarius
05 Feb 2015, 09:24
Ramen, a thousand times ramen. Chowder as well, if we're counting stews.

anunitu
05 Feb 2015, 09:27
Also chicken soup,for when feeling sick..nothing quite like it.

Thorbjorn
05 Feb 2015, 09:41
Beef barley.
Manhattan clam chowder.
Minestrone.
Split pea.
Pasta fazool (southern Italian pronunciation).

Tylluan Penry
05 Feb 2015, 10:45
lentils with leeks, carrots and home made dumplings - preferably with home made bread.

volcaniclastic
05 Feb 2015, 11:20
All time favourite? Mom's potato leek soup.

Otherwise: split pea, mushroom soup, anything with lentils in it, french onion soup, etc etc etc. I never met a soup I didn't like (unless of course it had meat or seafood in it)

Noir
05 Feb 2015, 11:23
Pumpkin and Butternut Squash soup.

kalynraye
05 Feb 2015, 11:46
New England clam chowder
Coconut Bisque
Broccoli and Cheese
Beer Cheese Soup
Pho
I can go on but well leave it with those

Denarius
05 Feb 2015, 11:58
I forgot about pho, and french onion. I like those too.

kalynraye
05 Feb 2015, 12:02
I forgot about pho, and french onion. I like those too.
Yes to the french onion.

nbdy
05 Feb 2015, 12:06
On a cold day hot split pea, black bean, or winter squash. In the summer cold avocado or cucumber.

kalynraye
05 Feb 2015, 12:12
For some strange reason I can't do cold soups. No gazpacho no nothing. I will try it so I have the flavor and can make sure it doesn't need anything but I personally cannot eat it. It doesn't work in my brain.

Hawkfeathers
05 Feb 2015, 12:23
For some strange reason I can't do cold soups. No gazpacho no nothing. I will try it so I have the flavor and can make sure it doesn't need anything but I personally cannot eat it. It doesn't work in my brain.

Oh, I forgot about Gazpacho - love it! It's kind of like eating salsa with a spoon (which I've done LOL) I agree it is an odd concept, though. I think of soup as hot, winter food.

anunitu
05 Feb 2015, 12:37
Forgot hot and sour....only had it a few times...

thalassa
05 Feb 2015, 12:38
The impetus for this thread: http://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/02/05/soup-chowder-bone-broth-recipes

I was so *bleep* hungry listening to this. I want to make the cauliflower soup (http://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/02/05/soup-recipes-americas-test-kitchen) from the show.

My fave soup is probably (white) clam chowder...followed by my dad's ham and bean soup. Or maybe baked potato soup.

anunitu
05 Feb 2015, 12:48
split pea and ham,bean soup with a ham hock in it...

nbdy
05 Feb 2015, 12:53
Forgot hot and sour....only had it a few times...

Oh, yeah, this is what I get when we go out for Asian food. yum.

Gardenia
05 Feb 2015, 13:09
My favorites are fish chowder (or seafood, if there's no clams), lobster bisque, miso, and homemade chicken.

Hawkfeathers
05 Feb 2015, 13:14
Wonton! LOL I keep adding to my list of favorites....I guess I'm a soup lover!

DanieMarie
05 Feb 2015, 13:40
I don't understand how people cannot like soup.

anunitu
05 Feb 2015, 13:44
Used to have grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch as a kid(walked home for lunch from school) school was VERY close to home..Grammer school BTW.

B. de Corbin
05 Feb 2015, 14:10
The only soup I can imagine not liking would have to have some ingredient I can't tolerate, like coconut.

But the soup that I make that I like the best is smoked chicken & veg.

Medusa
05 Feb 2015, 14:15
It used to be cream of chicken.
Then it was cream of mushroom.
Then the gods listened and brought us cream of chicken and mushroom!
I also love menudo with oregano and lime squeezed in.
And real french onion soup. I had it in New Orleans. It's not real until it's from there!

volcaniclastic
05 Feb 2015, 15:00
Used to have grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch as a kid(walked home for lunch from school) school was VERY close to home..Grammer school BTW.

"I used to have grilled cheese with tomato soup for lunch as a child, which I would walk home from school for. My school was very close to home...grammar school, by the way."

Oh, the irony. :p

anunitu
05 Feb 2015, 15:39
My long lost twin sister!!!!!! The fates has found you!!

Hawkfeathers
05 Feb 2015, 15:45
I also love menudo with oregano and lime squeezed in

I love Ricky Martin with or without oregano & lime! :)

habbalah
05 Feb 2015, 15:48
I love soups too much to pick a favorite. ...buuut I do really like lobster bisque and creamy chicken and wild rice...

nbdy
05 Feb 2015, 16:34
Aha! Corbin hit upon something about which we can disagree. You see, the love of soup appears to be at 100%, but is there some ingredient that cannot be tolerated, that overpowers our completely rational love of soup? For me -- tripe.

Edit -- our love of soup appears to be over 90%.

kalynraye
05 Feb 2015, 18:05
Aha! Corbin hit upon something about which we can disagree. You see, the love of soup appears to be at 100%, but is there some ingredient that cannot be tolerated, that overpowers our completely rational love of soup? For me -- tripe.

Edit -- our love of soup appears to be over 90%.

I get my Pho with no tripe. I can't handle it either!
I'd also like to add Miso soup, Mushroom soup, chicken and rice, chicken and dumplings, butternut squash. Italian wedding soup.... ok and I'm done.

Also who doesn't like soup!

Torey
05 Feb 2015, 19:54
I LOVE soup!

My favourite is my homemade tortellini soup - basically, a minestrone with tortellini.

Second fave would be potato and leek - mmm!

Otherwise...

Bean soup
Cabbage soup
Taco soup
Pumpkin soup
Mushroom soup
Cheesy broccoli and cauliflower soup

Medusa
05 Feb 2015, 20:02
I love Ricky Martin with or without oregano & lime! :)

http://www.killthehydra.com/wp-content/uploads/archaic-rap-see-what-you-did-there1.jpg

volcaniclastic
05 Feb 2015, 20:05
OH MY GOD I forgot about borscht. I could drown in borscht and die a happy human.

Medusa
05 Feb 2015, 20:06
I like top ramen with tapatio.

There. I said it.

Maria de Luna
05 Feb 2015, 21:21
Mmmm soup...

kalynraye
05 Feb 2015, 21:24

There. I said it.

I second that!! Well the top ramen any way. I like it plain and with a friend egg on some creamy chicken.

LunarHarvest
06 Feb 2015, 00:09
I'm actually not to fond of soups, to be perfectly honest. I know that I speak blasphemy, but I just really never have had a predisposition towards it. :P

There. I said it.
I eat ramen sometimes. Its cheap and fills the stomach, but it certainly is not my favourite. ^-^;

DanieMarie
06 Feb 2015, 01:03
My favs are:
-Pumpkin/butternut squash soup. It's best when you roast the pumpkin/squash in olive oil in the oven before cooking.
-Thai curry soup (chicken soup with coconut milk and thai red curry spices)
-Potato soup (a blended German soup made with potatoes, veggies and bits of ham or sausage)
-Borscht
-Potato and leek soup
-Sorrel soup (I only make this in the spring and early summer, when sheep sorrel grows in my flowerpots like crazy. Instead of just pulling them, I put them in the soup!)
-Nettle soup

I also really like stew. It's a great thing to make when you're broke because you can just throw in whatever you have in the fridge and thicken it with oatmeal, which is insanely cheap here.

Rae'ya
06 Feb 2015, 01:57
I love soup... but it's gotta be SOUP, not broth. There are only a few broth type soups that I like... mostly Minestrone or similar that's full of big chunks of ingredients. Otherwise I love the deep, dark, thick soups that are almost a stew (incidentally, I also love stew).

My all time favourite soup is cheesy broccoli and cauliflower.

Close seconds are Torey's Tortellini soup and his bean soup (butter beans, shallots, bacon, garlic and a mysterious ability to turn it into this amazingly deep broth despite the simple recipe), my mum's lamb shank soup, and the Woolworths beef, kale and red wine soup they only sell in winter.

volcaniclastic
06 Feb 2015, 07:11
I also really like stew. It's a great thing to make when you're broke because you can just throw in whatever you have in the fridge and thicken it with oatmeal, which is insanely cheap here.

Do you have any vegetarian recipes? I love stew, but I can't make a thick stew to save my life. Even my chili (which is delicious), turns out watery.

DanieMarie
06 Feb 2015, 08:06
Do you have any vegetarian recipes? I love stew, but I can't make a thick stew to save my life. Even my chili (which is delicious), turns out watery.

All the recipes I make use meat, but it's not the meat that makes it thick. I think you could easily make a lentil or bean stew. I make mine from scratch and kind of haphazardly, but I'll try to describe the process:

-I chop veggies and sautee them in a bit of oil. I find this adds more flavor than if I just boil them. Veggies usually include things like onions, turnips, parsnips, leeks, cabbage, carrots, or greens (greens from root veggies, swiss chard, sorrel, even chickweed, clover, or dandelion...I'm not one to waste the weeds that grow in my flowerpots). Sometimes apples or pears can be nice, as odd as that sounds. If I add any greens, they go in last, because those don't take long to cook. I also sautee the meat (unless I'm using leftover cooked meat) at this point, but I think if you're using lentils or beans, you'd add those after. I don't know how to cook beans or lentils, so that would have to be your call lol.
-I add chopped potatoes to the mixture. Potatoes are starchy and make the water thicker.
-I cook those in water or water mixed with stock (veggie stock will work) for quite a long time. While it's cooking, I also add seasonings and herbs for flavor. The water to other stuff ratio in stew is a lot lower than in soup, but I still let everything simmer until the water I do use is cut in half, if that makes sense. It makes everything more concentrated.
-Sometimes, I use a potato masher to mash up the potatoes a bit. I don't like to mash up everything though, because then it's less like a chunky stew and more like a blended soup.
-I add oatmeal. Oatmeal makes everything thick, and it's full of fiber, which makes it filling. Barley can also work, but barley isn't gluten free (if I remember rightly, you can't have gluten, right?) and I don't usually use it because oatmeal is a lot cheaper here.

It sounds kind of like gruel, but if you do it right and add enough veggies, herbs, and spices, it's pretty tasty.

habbalah
06 Feb 2015, 08:42

Vol, I have a veggie cookbooks on my Kindle. I can "loan" them to you if you want.

Hawkfeathers
06 Feb 2015, 08:45

Vegetarian Sierra Stew

1 cup uncooked kidney beans
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded & coarsely chopped
1 cup coarsely chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup diced russet potatoes, unpeeled
16 oz. Can diced tomatoes (including liquid)
1 Tbsp. Chili powder (or more to taste)
½ tsp. Ground cumin
½ cup uncooked brown rice
4 cups water or vegetable broth
salt & pepper to taste
¼ cup grated pepper-jack cheese (optional)

Wash beans well, place in large bowl & cover with cold water. Let soak overnight, then drain. Rinse & set aside.
In large Dutch oven over med.-high heat, heat oil & sauté onion & garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes with liquid, chili powder, & cumin. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Add rice, water or broth, and beans. Cover & cook on low heat on stovetop for 2 hours, or in a slow cooker for 6 hours, until stew is thick and beans & rice are tender. Season w/salt & pepper. Top w/grated cheese if desired. Serves 6-8.

Per serving (approx) 360 cal., 17g protein, 7g fat, 59g carb, 0 chol, 155 mg sodium, 15g fiber

NOTES: This freezes well. I’ve used rinsed canned beans instead of starting them from scratch – just add them closer to the end of cooking time since all you are really doing is heating them up. Store-bought vegetable broth is high in sodium so I make this with water or homemade broth. It looks like a ton of work & ingredients but it’s really easy once you get started!

thalassa
06 Feb 2015, 08:48

I think it depends on what kind of soup we are talking about...but there are a few options:

1) Take out about a cup or two (depending on how thick you want it, maybe more) and puree it, then add it back in (this works with veggies and legumes)
2) Arrowroot (but not with dairy), cornstarch, kuzu root starch, tapioca flour, garbanzon bean flour, etc...basically, look up a GF gravy and use those in a lesser amount--if you aren't GF, flour works (or make dumplings, it usually does the trick) (http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/05/old-fashioned-chicken-and-drop.html)
3) Mashed potato (or yams)--nuke a tater, mash it mixed with some of the juice, and stir it in (alternately, add some dry potato flakes)
4) Grate a portion of the veggies (I've not tried this trick personally, but my still veggie friend swears by it), sautee them til they carmelize, then toss them in and they sort of disintigrate and thicken it up (she does this with soups, not stews)
5) Puree a can of Cannelini or Great Northern beans
6) Pureed GF rolled oats (cook the oats, puree them, and then add them in), or rice, barley, etc
7) ground nuts (I've not tried this one either)
8) yogurt or coconut milk (I've tried the former, not the latteR)

DanieMarie
06 Feb 2015, 09:46
Potato starch can work too. I add it to stews and gravies sometimes when they're not thick enough. Unlike corn starch, it doesn't leave a weird taste.

volcaniclastic
06 Feb 2015, 13:29
Will try all these suggestions, thank you!

anunitu
06 Feb 2015, 13:50
One favorite thick soup is split pea,with ham in it...Maybe good also without the ham...but spicy is good for it..

Rae'ya
06 Feb 2015, 21:40

I make a pretty good vegetarian pearl barley risotto-stew if you can eat barley.

Generally the trick to making stew thick is the start with the ingredients, sautee to add flavour and caramelisation THEN add water or stock in small amounts and simmer for ages, plus make sure there's a starchy ingredient or add starch or another thickening agent like on Thal's list. I find if you add the ingredients to the water you end up with soup... so do it the other way around.

And unless you have a slow cooker, good stew takes time and patience.

Carlin
08 Feb 2015, 12:23
Lentil/vegetable. :) But I have to be in the mood, and there has to be bread with it for dipping. Recently it's been fantastic to come down off the hills in the snow and know that there's soup waiting for me. :D It's usually all I want when I'm ill too.

thalassa
09 Feb 2015, 13:20
Right now I'm making cream of zucchini soup.

October
08 Sep 2015, 16:23
I make a very simple one I made up in college (Cost me about 2 pounds back then)

2 leeks, sliced into rings
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced in coins
2 carrots, peeled and sliced in coins
a rutabaga/swede, peeled and chopped OR half a cabbage, chopped
1 lb chicken breast, chopped

Throw it all in a pot and enough water to cover plus an inch. Cook until the rutabaga/swede is bright orange and soft or until all the carrots and parsnips are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

I like it with a piece of buttered bread.

Simple, pretty quick, super cheap, guilt free, hot, and soothing.

Can't beat it.