X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chessa
    replied
    Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

I've told everyone in my extended family that I know will accept me. Now I just have to tell my mother and fundamentalist/Tea party Republican father.

Leave a comment:

• LadyDorothy
    replied

I came out of the broom closet two days ago during a road trip with my mother, we started discussing religion and I decided that it was about time that I told her that I'm not a Christian.

Not only am I not a Christian, I'm pagan. One of those people she hate more than gays. That was fun explaining.

It was interesting.... she's thoroughly convinced that me being pagan means that I don't believe in God, a fact that I find funny because were polytheistic.

However, I'm surprised that she didn't freak, the most she does now is make little snide comments about how I can't pray, something about the goddess, ect.

It's better than I expected, but its still kinda painful.

Leave a comment:

• Volniy
    replied

Never give up, even if you're alone. Engaging in self-development and self-improvement - you will realize that you do not need anyone. Someone might not agree with my point of view, but it usually happens that the people who usually are seriously engaged in shamanism, magic, witchcraft - almost always alone. Those people who accidentally come into their lives - do not stay there for long.

- - - Updated - - -

Leave a comment:

• Volniy
    replied

Never be afraid to be yourself. When you have very few years, you're still young - as a rule, if your family is religious and adheres to religious traditions, in particular, this is especially true of Christianity, Islam - the parents starayutsya child to follow these traditions. On the one hand - it seems to be right, but on the other hand - the child impose what he does not understand. The fact that he can not understand.
    Usually, people that they do not understand - this fear. Because of their ignorance, or ignorance, religious fanaticism, they can not make an objective assessment of areas such as paganism, shamanism, witchcraft. They are suspicious of those who call themselves Pagans, witches, shamans.
    Why do you explain that a person who has a negative attitude will advance to ensure that you believe?
    Most importantly - never impose my views to anyone, including religious ones. And do not settle out of courtesy, if you try harass someone else to impose their religion or point of view. It is better in this situation, silently leave. Without quarrels and scandals.
    To argue with a fool, ignorant man, or a religious fanatic, you're goin 'down to his level.

Leave a comment:

• fatal222316
    replied

None of my family knows but my father is psychic and very open minded don't think he would like it but he knows my interests in pagan culture he just does not want me to open a portal of some kind haha its true.

Leave a comment:

• Plenilunium
    replied

My coming out wasn't too big of a deal. My grandmother says she's still praying for me (She's very Christian). Other then that most people don't care.

Leave a comment:

• Oden_son
    replied

My coming out was pretty uneventful. My grandparents are open minded catholics and i was kind of halfway raised christian. What i mean by that is I was baptized and went to sunday school like i was supposed to but i really don't think my parents believe any of it. So when i found my path there wasn't much of a coming out it was more like i found who i was supposed to be and kept it in the open from the beginning. Only a few extended family members have any kind of problem with my choice.

Leave a comment:

• Loki
    replied
    Re: Coming out about your religion

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
    Your mother sounds exactly like mine! It must be a Southern baptist thing. haha I see so many into spiritual and supernatural things in one mood but freak out at it the next. I think southerners are supernatural by nature, it was only a few decades ago we believed in only making soap by the moonlight and other random rituals. It's still very much there.

As for me coming out. I've never officially came out giving myself a label. But my beliefs have always been clear to those who ask, including my mom. She's pretty much only upset that I don't recognize Jesus as my savior. Everybody else is really cool with it. I always explain it in a chill and unagrressive way. "I don't pray, I send positive energy.", "It's not about believing in Jesus or not, it's taking lessons from everybody and being a good person.", etc. Once you say it that way, only the most biased can see issue with that.

Exactly this. I dont go around shouting "I'm a pagan" r have "pagan" in my Facebook name, but anyone that visits my house normally asks about my book collection. It's actually a nice ice breaker, and I've never had any negative comments. I'm always honest with people, but TBH I don't think I've ver seen anyone ever ask anyone their religion!

Love and peace.

Leave a comment:

• Loki
    replied

lol, I've found that most people that have asked me about it have been round my house and seen my bookshelves....it's quite obvious!
    Most people are curious, and I've never had any hostility

- - - Updated - - -

lol, I've found that most people that have asked me about it have been round my house and seen my bookshelves....it's quite obvious!
    Most people are curious, and I've never had any hostility

Leave a comment:

• Nerá
    replied

Some family members know that I USED to be pagan. I let my spirituality fall by the wayside, I guess. As far as they know, it was just "a phase." I caught a lot of crap from people and got a lot of strange looks when people knew.

Now, the only person that I've come out to is my boyfriend. I also set it as my religious preference on Facebook but set it to where only I can see....just testing the water to see how it feels. I feel like I'm almost there.

Leave a comment:

• callmeclemens
    replied

I like to keep my spirituality as mysterious as its contents.

Leave a comment:

• InspiringRaine
    replied

Yeah, I don't really describe stuff to them. I will say "I really like candles. Can I buy some?" And they will just think it's a natural thing, or they'll forget I even asked after I get them to my room. I use my candles for my magick. I even got it so they'd let me set up an altar, but I didn't lie about anything. I said I'd be using it for meditation purposes, which was the truth. I don't like working magick at my altar. I feel like it gets rid of the special quality.

They only pagan-y necklace I own, is an Anhk.

Leave a comment:

• chris1987
    replied

Originally posted by Domiel View Post
    I maintain a "Don't ask, Don't tell" concept with my family. I will say what I like and what I don't, and if they don't ask then I won't explain. I do my magick when I have the privacy, and I don't flaunt my differences from them. I guess I just feel that I don't need to tell them about it. My personal beliefs are just that, personal. No use debating it or being rebellious over it. So...

I guess you could say I'm not technically out of the broom closet, but I am pretty sure my family knows I am not christian. Though, I do actually wear a cross. But because it has sentimental meaning to me, not for religious purposes. Sound's silly, but I'd never give up my special cross.
    That's exactly what I feel. I will tell my family what I am interested in or like to an extent but I will not go into details with them. I actually do wear a necklace with Chalice with a Pentagram on it (it makes me feel calm to have it on me even though it's a little risky). Sometimes I hide it under my shirt just out of paranoia that someone from my dad's church may see it. Thank you wisp! and I get that with the whole Christian God thing. I respect their beliefs and I want them to believe what they want, I just don't like it when they try to push it on me:=S:

Leave a comment:

• wisp
    replied

Grats on coming out, Chris I feel you on the keeping quiet around family thing. It's getting harder to do lately, especially since there's been a recent splurge of friends/family posting how there is no life without the Christian God all over facebook that makes me sort've go :/ A rebellious side of me want to start posting all the things I've been discovering and deciding for myself lately.

Leave a comment:

• InspiringRaine
    replied

I maintain a "Don't ask, Don't tell" concept with my family. I will say what I like and what I don't, and if they don't ask then I won't explain. I do my magick when I have the privacy, and I don't flaunt my differences from them. I guess I just feel that I don't need to tell them about it. My personal beliefs are just that, personal. No use debating it or being rebellious over it. So...

I guess you could say I'm not technically out of the broom closet, but I am pretty sure my family knows I am not christian. Though, I do actually wear a cross. But because it has sentimental meaning to me, not for religious purposes. Sound's silly, but I'd never give up my special cross.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X