• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rae'ya
    replied
    Re: Heartworm meds question...

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
    I plan on being a lot more active
    Still at Fitzpatricks, been a hectic year busiest I have ever seen. Fell into the work/sleep/work trap, but have pulled myself out of it
    How long till you complete your GP? I'm looking to start my advanced/postgrad diploma this year, because I don't need free time ��
    It's an 18mth course so should be done early next year. Then if I'm at the ER still I'll do the ER Diploma. 'Coz I don't need free time either! The curse of the commited vet nurse!

Leave a comment:

• Optimistic discord
    replied

I plan on being a lot more active
    Still at Fitzpatricks, been a hectic year busiest I have ever seen. Fell into the work/sleep/work trap, but have pulled myself out of it
    How long till you complete your GP? I'm looking to start my advanced/postgrad diploma this year, because I don't need free time ��

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Hihi!
    Cannot believe I have not been around for so long!
    Hope you've been well? ��
    I have been . In the middle of doing my GP Diploma and recently started working a second job at one of our ER/Referral practices. Hoping to work my way into some referral surgery cases but so far have been doing mostly ER work. Are you still at Fitzpatrick?

Don't be a stranger... we need more Heathen folks over in the Heathen board. And I'm sure they'd all rather see someone other than me talking vet stuff up in here!

Leave a comment:

• Optimistic discord
    replied

Hihi!
    Cannot believe I have not been around for so long!
    Hope you've been well? ��

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

So glad we don't have heartworm in our area, the lungworm is bad enough.
    Hey you! Good to see you back

Leave a comment:

• Optimistic discord
    replied

So glad we don't have heartworm in our area, the lungworm is bad enough.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Reminds self,If I get a dog,keep Rae'ya on speed dial...

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    Ugh... Well she does sound silly. Alright then so it is alright if he takes it? Just as long as I don't overdose him or mix it with other things?
    Yep.

/tenyeps

Leave a comment:

• kalynraye
    replied

Ugh... Well she does sound silly. Alright then so it is alright if he takes it? Just as long as I don't overdose him or mix it with other things?

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    Alright sorry haven't been on a few days. Busy busy with work and all. Ok So Brexton was given Sentinel.I think its suppose to prevent two other types of worms in addition to the heartworms. Also thanks ladies for the info.
    Honestly, you're new vet is a bit silly.

Sentinel is milbemycin, which is technically also on the MDR1 mutation list of sensitivities. Theoretically, it is no different to giving ivermectin for heartworm! But it's a great product and covers roundworms, hookworms and fleas too. We sell Sentinel Spectrum, which does tapeworm as well as all the others... it's one of my preferred products.

Basically, the only time I avoid ivermectin in collies is for mange treatment, because the doses are higher and are in the danger zone for the ones with the gene mutation. None of the heartworm products are though.

Leave a comment:

• kalynraye
    replied

Alright sorry haven't been on a few days. Busy busy with work and all. Ok So Brexton was given Sentinel.I think its suppose to prevent two other types of worms in addition to the heartworms. Also thanks ladies for the info.

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    The drugs work fine.
    Okay. Thanks Rae'ya.

Leave a comment:

• Rae'ya
    replied

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    What??? I didn't know that certain heartworm meds didn't work on certain dogs! Is that the same for smaller dogs? I have Yorkshire Terriers.
    The drugs work fine.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    What??? I didn't know that certain heartworm meds didn't work on certain dogs! Is that the same for smaller dogs? I have Yorkshire Terriers.

The medicine works just fine. The problem is that in some breeds of dogs there may be a mutation that causes them to overdose on a certain drug contained in the heartworm formulations at a lower dosage than most dogs. Even so, the dosage that they have a reaction to is much higher than heartworm medications have in them, when they are administered correctly.

And Yorkies are not one of those breeds, as far as I know.

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X