X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pallas
    replied
    Re: Anime, Manga and other fun things!

Naruto and anything shoujo. Shoujo is to me like trashy romance novels are to older women. Can never get enough of those even though every plot is almost the same. *_*

Leave a comment:

• RiverSong
    replied

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
    favourite anime: one piece, xxxHolic, speed grapher, monster, bamboo blade, baccano!.

I really liked the first three seasons of bleach, and as far as I am concerned the show ended there.
    Ahh!!! I LOVE Baccano! I forgot to add that in my list! ^_^

Leave a comment:

• RiverSong
    replied

Yep, I need dubs because I suck at reading subs. It goes way too fast for me, with my poor vision, and I lose out on most of the conversation. Though, I do what Maria does too, often looking to see the dubs matching up with the animation, It's sometimes a hit or miss. I did read somewhere once that it's common even in the original Japanese, so don't be alarmed to see it in English dubs too.

And yes, Maria, I was annoyed when Brotherhood wasn't complete on Netflix... so I bought the whole dvd set. lol. That was back when I had the money to do that. I wonder if "Black Butler" is on Hulu, being that my sister missed out on it because Netflix took it down after a while. >_<
    I love that series and wouldn't mind watching it again. ^_^

Leave a comment:

• Ananta Androscoggin
    replied

It's in Hulu's advertising that the provisions for watching their stuff on anything that ain't a computer screen (mobile devices, TV sets, etc.) is built into the Hulu+ subscription service.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    I speak 0 Japanese but prefer subs, I know alot gets lost in translation, but at least when they are not worried about matching words to mouth movements I feel like they tend to have slightly less dysfunctional stories.
    This is a good point. I bet a lot of things are changed when dubbing to make it fit. I like listening to English songs in Japanese and German and those are sometimes completely different. Alladin's 'A Whole New World' springs to mind!

I think the real problem is just the subtlety of the language. They'll often only say part of a sentence and the rest is just implied, but we don't do this in English, so the person subbing has to try to imagine what is missing. People will have different impressions of what was being implied. I doubt it makes any difference to the story though.

Leave a comment:

• Maria de Luna
    replied

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Oh cool! I wonder if I can get it on PS3? We have netflix but we both prefer to watch anime in Japanese (me because it's practice, JP because he's an anime snob), so we never bother with the anime on there. I haven't seen much anime dubbed but from what I have seen, the voice acting seems pretty appauling. Also, if the subs are anything to go by, it's not just snobbishness, key details honestly do get lost in translation. I can't read subs and concentrate on the Japanese at the same time, but JP can and he'll sometimes pause to show me the English translation and we'll have a good groan together. Not that either of us could do any better of course!

I'll mention hulu to the J man when he gets home.
    I speak 0 Japanese but prefer subs, I know alot gets lost in translation, but at least when they are not worried about matching words to mouth movements I feel like they tend to have slightly less dysfunctional stories.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

They actually have quite a bit, I am already a hulu plus subscriber, but they have a more extensive collection than netflix I think. Some of the ones which are not complete on netflix show up in their completion on hulu, mostly the originals too, rather than dubs. Hulu also has all of FMA brotherhood I believe, it was not complete on netflix last I checked.
    Oh cool! I wonder if I can get it on PS3? We have netflix but we both prefer to watch anime in Japanese (me because it's practice, JP because he's an anime snob), so we never bother with the anime on there. I haven't seen much anime dubbed but from what I have seen, the voice acting seems pretty appauling. Also, if the subs are anything to go by, it's not just snobbishness, key details honestly do get lost in translation. I can't read subs and concentrate on the Japanese at the same time, but JP can and he'll sometimes pause to show me the English translation and we'll have a good groan together. Not that either of us could do any better of course!

I'll mention hulu to the J man when he gets home.

Leave a comment:

• Maria de Luna
    replied

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
    Cool, thanks for mentioning this. I will have to check it out someday soon. I didn't know that HULU had anime. ^_^
    They actually have quite a bit, I am already a hulu plus subscriber, but they have a more extensive collection than netflix I think. Some of the ones which are not complete on netflix show up in their completion on hulu, mostly the originals too, rather than dubs. Hulu also has all of FMA brotherhood I believe, it was not complete on netflix last I checked.

Leave a comment:

• RiverSong
    replied

Originally posted by Ananta Androscoggin View Post
    There is quite a bit of Anime available on the HULU website, which is not behind the barrier of Hulu-Plus paid subscriptions.
    Cool, thanks for mentioning this. I will have to check it out someday soon. I didn't know that HULU had anime. ^_^

Leave a comment:

• Denarius
    replied

favourite anime: one piece, xxxHolic, speed grapher, monster, bamboo blade, baccano!.

I really liked the first three seasons of bleach, and as far as I am concerned the show ended there.

Leave a comment:

• Ananta Androscoggin
    replied

There is quite a bit of Anime available on the HULU website, which is not behind the barrier of Hulu-Plus paid subscriptions.

Leave a comment:

• RiverSong
    replied

Well, I was surrounded by Japanese people last night so managed to ask about Doraemon. The subject really excited everyone. He could be one of the most popular anime/manga characters in Japan. Seems he provokes a lot of childhood memories so everyone loves him. Apparently, he is a robot cat who's ears were eaten by a mouse (I think, I missed the part where they said who ate his ears, but they later mentioned his desire to get revenge on the mice, so I guessed). He travels through time helping people, so is kind of like an earless, robot, kitty, time lord.
    Cool!!! ^_^
    I notice that a lot of kid-like anime become staples in the culture, just like our Mickey Mouse and Disney movies in the US. I never really got into kodomo anime or manga like Doraemon, besides Pokemon when I was younger, But I think My Neighbor Totoro comes close to being a kodomo. The weirder the story, the better I can be entertain by it. lol.
    Sorry Jembru, I missed so much on your week, because I was without internet until yesterday evening. I hope things went well for you at the event or exam... gathering... quest...thing. ;^_^

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Well, I was surrounded by Japanese people last night so managed to ask about Doraemon. The subject really excited everyone. He could be one of the most popular anime/manga characters in Japan. Seems he provokes a lot of childhood memories so everyone loves him. Apparently, he is a robot cat who's ears were eaten by a mouse (I think, I missed the part where they said who ate his ears, but they later mentioned his desire to get revenge on the mice, so I guessed). He travels through time helping people, so is kind of like an earless, robot, kitty, time lord.

Leave a comment:

• RiverSong
    replied

They most likely will. I had this happen with j.pod actually. I used their free trial and then when it ran out, they never even invoiced me, they just took the money out of my account. It's not a lot of money and I am proud to support the site because it is amazing what they provide for free, but it's the principle. You almost always have to actively cancel your supscription before they will stop taking money out.
    Yes, that's the problem, I always forget then the "free trial" is over, so then I get caught! lol. But if I have the money already set aside for it, then it's different. I can't afford any mishaps this month, because I still have two bills that aren't due yet, but the money is waiting for it to the exact amount. So, if Crunchyroll took their fee, that means either no cellphone or no Netflix. >_<

- - - Updated - - -

I hate when they call it a free trial, I only trust them as free if they don't make me give a credit card...
    Me too! It's not really free... just a 14 day delay before they take their money for it. LOL! I think they do ask for a credit card, not sure... but I did install the app on my Playstation 3 already. I can't view any of the anime there yet, without joining their 14 free trial first, but it's done. This way, when I am able to pay for it, I don't have to wait for Playstation to download the app and then do a system update! I hate when it does that! The system update, I mean, so frickin SLOW! \\\\(>_<)////

Leave a comment:

• Maria de Luna
    replied

They most likely will. I had this happen with j.pod actually. I used their free trial and then when it ran out, they never even invoiced me, they just took the money out of my account. It's not a lot of money and I am proud to support the site because it is amazing what they provide for free, but it's the principle. You almost always have to actively cancel your supscription before they will stop taking money out.
    Xbox live.... canceling your xbox subscription requires both arms and a leg and your firstborn heir... and you still have to sit on hold a bloody hour to do it... I hate needing xbox live to play with my husband... but it is what it is... kudos to playstation for not being quite this psycho...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X