• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick
    replied
    Re: Question About Altars

Originally posted by Claude View Post
    This is only in Lokasenna, which is a questionable book even by Edda standards.
    If you are going to come into the Heathen sub-forum and make questionable statements, you should cite references.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Originally posted by Dahll Haus View Post
    Loki is blood-brother to Odin, but no actual relation to Baldr.
    This is only in Lokasenna, which is a questionable book even by Edda standards.

Leave a comment:

• Heka
    replied

I knew the name Hodor from GoT was Norse somewhere! baha

Leave a comment:

• Ula
    replied

This isn't mine so I am linking to it. This is someone's altar from Tumblr. It's simple and lovely and a picture. http://holdasown.tumblr.com/post/710...y-went-full-on

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

baldr's brother was blind hodr who was tricked by Loki into killing Baldr with a dart made from mistletoe - the only plant which Frigg (mother of Baldr and Hodr)had not secured a promise not to harm baldr from - because it is so floppy and safe - so the throwing of plant darts at baldr became a game as they wouldn't hurt him....

Leave a comment:

• WayfaringStranger
    replied

Baldr is the son of Odin and Frigg. Thor is the son of Odin and Fjorgyn. Loki's parents are Farbauti and Laufey.

I cannot recall at the moment that Loki and Thor are actual brothers/half brothers/step brothers/etc. I think this is Marvel story line. (This is most likely my ignorance and newness.) I can recall reading "the foster brother of Odin" somewhere in regards to Loki though. This mostly stood out because I decided to look more into it, not starting it is fact. I mostly was coming in on the genealogy part.

PS My spelling is rotten, I'm limited by my malfunctioning device. I apologize.

Leave a comment:

• Dahll Haus
    replied

Loki is blood-brother to Odin, but no actual relation to Baldr.

Leave a comment:

• Rowanwood
    replied

Originally posted by Rick View Post
    What brother, exactly, would that be?
    I don't know why my brain make them brothers. Aren't Loki and Baldr sort of step-brothers or am I just cross referencing since he tricked his actual brother into actually doing the deed? I'm no Heathen, so I cross reference my mythology sometimes. I know that ticks you guys off. Sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• Dahll Haus
    replied

I've already realized Loki is not for the faint of heart! I've not felt threatened or uneasy so far, but strange noises in the night pets acting strangely never bothered me. Especially when the magic words 'Okay, I won't put Tom Hiddleston on your altar! I promise!' Makes it all go away.

Leave a comment:

• Hekla
    replied

Originally posted by Dahll Haus View Post
    I haven't actually seen the movies, just stills and posters. They must have been pretty bad, though.
    Actually the movies are great (to me). But, I don't treat them as "Marvel interpretations are the be-all end-all of the Norse gods." The Thor movies are just another way for me to geek out, sometimes playfully point out flaws. Point is: Marvel Loki is a character, based rather loosely on the real thing. But while we're on the subject of characters: me and some friends use the Norse gods in RPG and Loki is a rather fun one to write.

Loki didn't like the action figure idea at all, so I'm not going to do it.
    Good call. I don't have an altar, nor do I set up shrines, but I've actually opted not to put static images as portrayals of the gods I honor. That's just my preference though.

Ultimately, I'll stress what Rowanwood said. Loki isn't someone to take whimsically. I have worked with him once. I prefer to withhold the details, but I will say there will not be a second time. Not that I was harmed, nor was there a true "breach of contract" on his part, but I felt uneasy about the whole thing. I may playfully call myself Sith, but I'm more of a do-gooder than someone who dabbles with chaos. So my advice, if you decide to continue with your Loki venture: just be careful.

Leave a comment:

• Dahll Haus
    replied

I haven't actually seen the movies, just stills and posters. They must have been pretty bad, though. Loki didn't like the action figure idea at all, so I'm not going to do it.

I like the images Ula posted. I might use one of those.

Leave a comment:

• oldhippie
    replied

I do have a statue of Cerunos but I also have printed pictures too.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rick
    replied

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
    I think that might backfire on you.

Loki from the movies is nothing like Loki from mythology. I think it might lead you to not take him seriously enough. He does lead you to question, but he is also a dark trickster and killed his own brother out of spite. You have to handle him with care.
    What brother, exactly, would that be?

Leave a comment:

• Rowanwood
    replied

I think that might backfire on you.

Loki from the movies is nothing like Loki from mythology. I think it might lead you to not take him seriously enough. He does lead you to question, but he is also a dark trickster and killed his own brother out of spite. You have to handle him with care.

Leave a comment:

• Satu
    replied

Printed pictures are definitely a good alternative.

If you're going to use non-traditional images (like a Hiddleston version of Loki), double-check with the deity in question first. If the deity is happy, and that's your only option for now, why not? Oh, and if the image is going to be too much of a distraction, don't use it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X