Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I feel like Heathenism is lacking something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satanic witch
    replied
    Re: I feel like Heathenism is lacking something.

I simply believe the Norse beliefs had a structure as in the gods were known but I don't think churches or shamans were big I think every one honored the gods in there way not just vikings but also women in childbirth men with harvest . Mead horned helms and fancy boat isn't required, honor the gods is pretty much it in my opinion and from the little I know of Norse culture

Leave a comment:

• Teutonicus
    replied

It sounds like what you've been dealing with is conservative Reconstructionists. They tend to be incredibly focused on what we know through text, which is an incredibly narrow view considering that the Northern Tradition is mostly an oral one and majority of our texts came after the influence of Christianity. But at the same time, you can not blame them for such a stance because if we allowed anyone's personal gnosis to influence a group's beliefs, we'd be just as lost. I think the answer lies somewhere in between. If the Gods are communicating to you on a personal level, perhaps that message is meant to be just for you. I definitely believe that the more esoteric aspects of our faith is more of a solitary path. The average Heathen knows just enough to revere the Gods. They're certainly not going to advocate the wide usage of utiseta, for example.

As someone who is naturally adept at the more esoteric explorations of our tradition, my only advice to you is to refrain from "preaching" what you've come to know and instead, focus on living it. Share your view point by not sharing it. Be the embodiment of it instead of verbalizing it. Perhaps those around you are not ready to see what you have been shown. We each have our own wyrd, our own orlog, our own path. There is an old Hermetic saying that goes as follows, "The lips of wisdom are closed, except to the ears of understanding." This essentially means that spouting all the truth in the world won't mean anything to the person who isn't ready to hear it yet. Instead of creating needless friction in your kinship, observe and appreciate the differences. Use it to strengthen your personal connection with the Gods. Know that even in a group, we're still on our own individual paths and trust in yours. And thank the Gods that you live near a group of people who even remotely share the faith as you because many of us, myself included, no longer live near any fellow followers of the Northern Tradition.

Leave a comment:

• Dahll Haus
    replied

I know how you feel. I'm drawn to the Heathen path myself, but usually identify as eclectic pagan because there seems to be this attitude of: THIS is how you honor the gods! You're doing it wrong!

Granted, I am also free to say: No, *you're* doing it wrong! But it doesn't help the sense of community to be constantly arguing.

I use the nine fold path as a framework, but that's all. I don't honor my ancestors because they were Christians and probably wouldn't appreciate my filthy Pagan self bothering them. My living family gets along like cats in a sack, so honoring kindred gets tough when when Thier Tara said that about Our Jennifer at Grandpa's funeral and why did I have to point out Grandpa was an atheist in front of my nephew? ,He's only 11, he doesn't need to know other viewpoints exist!

So you get the idea.

I get along great with my gods and I don't appreciate people getting in my face over how I honor them.

Leave a comment:

• Redfan45x
    started a topic I feel like Heathenism is lacking something.

I feel like Heathenism is lacking something.

Working...
X