Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL!CE
    replied
    Re: Madcap ideas or ways to make PF "better". Post your's here!

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
    OK. And how is this related to an internet forum? If members want to have different 'houses' here, does that mean it's simply a title given to them or like actual sections of the forum or what?

So many questions!
    It would basically be a bit of friendly competition. You could get points for your house for various things. Staff could maybe give them out as they see fit and/or there could be games and events. So for example a staff member might say "Highest reported score on Nanaca Crash http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...5-Nanaca-Crash!! today gets 10 points for that person's house". Then once every few months the house with the most points would be declared the winners and the scores would be reset to 0. I'm sure you had something a bit like this in one of your schools?

- - - Updated - - -

Neopets just had a Pirates Vs Ninjas event, which is kinda similar.
    Last edited by AL!CE; 02 Dec 2012, 17:33. Reason: readability

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Okay, I'll start a thread about my awards idea!

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied

I think it would be best to keep the serious ideas in their on, separate, threads... This way we can gauge better on who and how many people like the idea, and can even implement polls if needed for their own respective topics.

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

Can't help you there. The extent of my interest in a house structure is how best to keep the staff from sticking me in one. Its application to a forum is better explained by those who want one.

Leave a comment:

• Dumuzi
    replied

OK. And how is this related to an internet forum? If members want to have different 'houses' here, does that mean it's simply a title given to them or like actual sections of the forum or what?

So many questions!

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

Rowling divided Hogwarts (fictional school of Witchcraft, Wizardry and suicidal stupidity*) into 4 student houses. Successes by students reflected well on their houses and failures reflected badly. The students were sorted upon entry by a mind reading hat based on student desire and specific character traits.

Gryffindor got those with exceptional courage (we'll leave alone the issue of the damn rat)

Ravenclaw gained those with a great thirst for knowledge

Slytherin, the cunning and ambitious

Hufflepuff took the fair-minded, loyal and hard-working (and if any of them had ambition to match industry, that should scare the **** out of everyone but decent portions of the fanbase tend to underrate them)

As stated earlier, a great wizard should have ALL of the above. The house structure in that series annoys me more, the more I think of it.

*In universe, suicidal stupidity is not part of the formal title. I consider this oversight evidence of the widespread cultural idiocy and immorality of the Wizarding World in general.

Leave a comment:

• Dumuzi
    replied

Can someone explain to me what the house idea means? (Sorry, I'm slow. My mother says I'm special though!)

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    On my other forum, every August, when the forum has it's anniversary, we have the 'YOT Awards' We have something like 15 categories from 'funniest posts' to, 'most loveable' and there is even 'member you'd most like to have a drink with'. Then someone is chosen to collect votes and everyone votes members for each category. Those who win, get to have the category they won under their name and avatar so it's visible whenever they post. I'm currently sporting YOT's 'Most Lovable' although I also won 'Best fan fic'.

We have a thread for it where we suggest categories for a few months prior. Then when we have agreed on a final list, voting starts 4 weeks before August 11th.

Just another idea..
    This can also be done. If enough members want this, and after it gets talked about in the staff section we can do something similar.

Leave a comment:

• ChainLightning
    replied

I'm lame. My first thought for four houses... earth, wind, fire and water.

I need to get out more. Or at least let my brain out, from time to time. Elements, sheesh!

Leave a comment:

• AL!CE
    replied

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
    I'm not going to shoot this idea down yet, but this is going to take a lot of coordinating and forum modification. Not something we have anyone available right now to delve in to. Well discuss this idea in the staff section some time. But there will be nothing like this any time soon.
    Thank you for your honest response. In the meanwhile we can carry on having fun thinking of house names.

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied

I'm not going to shoot this idea down yet, but this is going to take a lot of coordinating and forum modification. Not something we have anyone available right now to delve in to. Well discuss this idea in the staff section some time. But there will be nothing like this any time soon.

Leave a comment:

• AL!CE
    replied

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    Oh I do like the class house idea. Very British public school... Probably impossible to do, but a lot of fun.
    I'm no computer expert but it seems easy enough to me. You invent some houses. You give everyone a house maybe with some (limited) option to swap if you don't like the house you are placed in. Then you come up with things that earn (and lose) points for houses.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok let's have some house name ideas. How about:

Crow, Owl, Cat and Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Oh I do like the class house idea. Very British public school... Probably impossible to do, but a lot of fun.

On my other forum, every August, when the forum has it's anniversary, we have the 'YOT Awards' We have something like 15 categories from 'funniest posts' to, 'most loveable' and there is even 'member you'd most like to have a drink with'. Then someone is chosen to collect votes and everyone votes members for each category. Those who win, get to have the category they won under their name and avatar so it's visible whenever they post. I'm currently sporting YOT's 'Most Lovable' although I also won 'Best fan fic'.

We have a thread for it where we suggest categories for a few months prior. Then when we have agreed on a final list, voting starts 4 weeks before August 11th.

Just another idea..

Leave a comment:

• RiverSong
    replied

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
    Are you sure you're not in Hufflepuff?
    Nope, I have no clue. I just may be! ^o^

Leave a comment:

• AL!CE
    replied

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
    I'm incline to agree! lol. Yet, I don't like Slytherin house and rather be in denial about that part of everyone's personality. It's more fun to have my nose in the air and say, "What a bunch of brats! Boo!" ;^_^
    Are you sure you're not in Hufflepuff?

Leave a comment:

• RiverSong
    replied

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
    I'm quite proudly Slytherin. And I'm a talented parseltongue. Just ask my snakes.

Ohhh, that's right, you probably don't speak parseltongue
    ROTFL! I would speak parseltongue if I was Harry Potter. But I get the feeling I'm a Weasley in this world. XD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X