Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardenia
    replied
    Re: Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

Originally posted by westwoden View Post
    can a Druid have Woden as the main god?
    Honestly, it depends a lot on what you mean by druid. There are tons of different druid traditions out there. Some are Celtic focused, others might work from a broader range of sources.

Leave a comment:

• westwoden
    replied

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Lumping together Herne, Woden, Odin and Cernnunos will - as I've commented elsewhere - take some mental agility. I don't personally believe they're the same.

If you want to know - you have to learn. And in order to learn you must make the effort. What have you read so far? And what conclusions have you reached?

I"ve read a hodgepodge of stuff.

virtually the whole of the OBOD official druid site, ADF (another druid site), the Witches Bible (Farrar), a whole host of general pagan stuff off the net, and a few other random books about paganism and witchcraft.

I guess I'm a little stuck on labels at present, and feel an attachment to Woden and Druidry as I come from Southern England and spent a lot of time around pagan parts of Britain in my youth (ie: Stonehenge, Glastonbury area, Ridgeway, Avebury, various sites in Oxfordshire etc..).

can a Druid have Woden as the main god?

I am also obsessed with Nietzsche (having read his entire works) and am also interested in Jung, Satanism and depth psychology - so Woden just sticks out here.

like a combination of Dionysus and Appollo at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• AL!CE
    replied

Are they the same? Yes and no. I believe they are all fragments of the same divine energy but they have different personalities and don't always see eye to eye. In otherwords God has MPD.

Leave a comment:

• Maria de Luna
    replied

Are all these Gods basically one and the same - ie: archetypes or manifestations of the same thing?

What is the difference between Cernunnos and Woden for example?

and can one revere gods from different pantheons at the same time?
    The answer to this will largely depend on the person doing the answering...
    Some will say that deity is all a manifestation of the same thing, others will argue that each god is separate and distinct with personalities and prefrences. These groups will argue till they all turn blue...

What do you believe?

That is really the bit that matters the most, what do you feel, and how do you relate to it? Without those questions being answered, the answers other people give you are going to feel a bit like akward stew...
    Cernunnos is a gallo-celtic form of deity (again depends on whom you ask) and is often referred to as a horned god, the mythelogical refrences to him are dodgy at best though, but nevertheless he has many followers. Woden is Anglo-Saxon in origin, but I am largely unfamiliar with too much more.
    As for the bit about multiple pantheons, It is something a number of people are cool with doing. (I am one of these people.)
    It can go well or poorly, depending again upon your views of the nature of deity/divinity/the gods. Try not to make too much god soup, without revrence, otherwise like Tyullan said you end up with mental crazies and acrobatics.

Leave a comment:

• Ula
    replied

Are all these Gods basically one and the same - ie: archetypes or manifestations of the same thing?

I have not heard of those who work with Odin/Woden compare to him as Cernunnos, Herne or the Horned God. Doesn't mean that's not the case. I can't recall Odin being referred to with the word horned in any way but again doesn't mean it's not right.

Leave a comment:

• XIII
    replied

It all depends on what your belief is.
    Mine personally is, the deities take the form of whatever you need them to be.
    I.E. All the Goddesses are one and all the Gods are one.

They appear to you however you need them to appear. With each incarnation having it's own energy about them.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

One can revere deities from different pantheons, but it's important to aim for a balance. If you're not careful - or well informed - then you'll end up without that.

Lumping together Herne, Woden, Odin and Cernnunos will - as I've commented elsewhere - take some mental agility. I don't personally believe they're the same.

If you want to know - you have to learn. And in order to learn you must make the effort. What have you read so far? And what conclusions have you reached?

Leave a comment:

• Woden/Odin/Cerrnunos/Herne/Horned God - are they all the same or what?

Working...
X