replied
    Re: Link: 10 misconceptions about Islam

read this

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Originally posted by Thothur View Post
    I've asked people I know in foreign countries how Americans are perceived. It's not good, ever.

This has nothing to do with Joe American, and everything to do with the govt's foreign policy. But that doesn't stop whole countries from hating us, when we the little people, have done nothing wrong. We hate this crap that's going on just as much or more, than the folks overseas do. Our military just hasn't had a coup to fix it. (Yet.)

- - - Updated - - -

Likewise, a lot of American's view of Muslims largely has to do with what is (endlessly) reported in the mainstream media here. Every time anything happens, it's always linked to a Muslim extremist group. Or so the govt would like us to believe, anyway.
    Actually, Obama wants everyone to believe that its all the fault of those white, gun toting, bible thumpers.

- - - Updated - - -

But I agree with you though. The average person, anywhere....wants basic things. Its not the people who can't get along....its the governments.

How long did we "hate" the Russians and others from the old Warsaw Pact countries? Dude...I've partied with Russians and Czechs and Romanians.....and they are no different than us.

Maybe it will be that way one day with the Muslims. But it won't happen until the old school hard liners are dead or ignored.

Leave a comment:

• Thothur
    replied

I've asked people I know in foreign countries how Americans are perceived. It's not good, ever.

This has nothing to do with Joe American, and everything to do with the govt's foreign policy. But that doesn't stop whole countries from hating us, when we the little people, have done nothing wrong. We hate this crap that's going on just as much or more, than the folks overseas do. Our military just hasn't had a coup to fix it. (Yet.)

- - - Updated - - -

Likewise, a lot of American's view of Muslims largely has to do with what is (endlessly) reported in the mainstream media here. Every time anything happens, it's always linked to a Muslim extremist group. Or so the govt would like us to believe, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

Originally posted by Monster View Post
    Then lets look at Islam as a whole. When 9/11 happened, millions upon millions of Muslims took to the streets CELEBRATING that terror attack. I don't see anyone condemning it. I don't see moderate Muslims saying "Hey, this isn't what Islam is about."
    Then perhaps you aren't looking. I have.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    How do you figure this? I ask because I saw someone else make a similar comment a week or so ago on FB...and after doing some research, I think its a really big misconception based on how the media skews news stories. I think Americans particularly are hyper-focused on Islamic extremism because of Al-qaeda and other affiliated terrorist groups. But there are Christian based terrorist groups operating in the world, and there's even is plenty of Christian extremism and terroristic acts even in this country.
    Lets take "Christian" (using that term loosely) whackos like the Westboro Baptist morons. They are definitely a extreme and perverted form of Christianity, I think we can agree. But when they get stupid, other Christian groups will condemn them and even confront them to stop their hate fueled rants at places like soldiers funerals.

Then lets look at Islam as a whole. When 9/11 happened, millions upon millions of Muslims took to the streets CELEBRATING that terror attack. I don't see anyone condemning it. I don't see moderate Muslims saying "Hey, this isn't what Islam is about."

When Timothy McVeigh bombed that federal building....did you see Christians take to the street cheering? Of course you didn't.

And that to me is the difference.

Of course there are also Christian based terror groups worldwide. But the "hyper-focus" you speak of is because 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% of ALL terror related attacks or hostage events on US peoples or assets since the 1960's, has been at the hands of radical Muslims. The "War on Terror" didn't start with 9/11 as so many people believe. Its been going on for decades.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

I agree. While I fully acknowledge there *are* "good" Muslims (for lack of a better term).....it does have an above average number of extremists in its ranks.

How do you figure this? I ask because I saw someone else make a similar comment a week or so ago on FB...and after doing some research, I think its a really big misconception based on how the media skews news stories. I think Americans particularly are hyper-focused on Islamic extremism because of Al-qaeda and other affiliated terrorist groups. But there are Christian based terrorist groups operating in the world, and there's even is plenty of Christian extremism and terroristic acts even in this country.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
    Tylluan, I'm sorry to say this, but we can't just start calling each other names likes that. Monster is entitled to have his opinion about Islam and Muslims, and I'm sure this could open up a discussion that we all can learn from.

Disagree all you want with each other, just be nice!
    I agree. While I fully acknowledge there *are* "good" Muslims (for lack of a better term).....it does have an above average number of extremists in its ranks.

BTW, I hope to see change for the better in the Muslim dominated countries in the future. I've been kind of keeping an eye on ya'lls little spat over there and I have to say good job. Morsi was and is a prick. I've also seen the anti US/Obama signs and let me state for the record....most Americans don't agree with Obama. I wish our military had the balls that yours has had because this country is sliding downhill into the realm of a dictatorship quick.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
    Tylluan, I'm sorry to say this, but we can't just start calling each other names likes that. Monster is entitled to have his opinion about Islam and Muslims, and I'm sure this could open up a discussion that we all can learn from.

Then I shall withdraw from this discussion. And probably from others too.

Leave a comment:

• Dumuzi
    replied

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    I have never drunk cool aid. Cider yes. Mead - copiously. But cool aid - whatever it is, no.
    You are a racist shithead.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

Why thank you, ma'am. I'd always heard those of you in the UK were very proper and well mannered. Its nice to see I wasn't wrong.
    That's the English you're thinking of, Monster. We Welsh are something else entirely.

Leave a comment:

• Thothur
    replied

I have never drunk cool aid. Cider yes. Mead - copiously. But cool aid - whatever it is, no.
    I love mead. From my early 20's to early 30's, I drank a prodigious amount, any chance I got. Chilled mead, warm spiced mead, it's all good. Yum. It was the best decade of my life.

Kool-aid is a powdered drink mix, that you mix with sugar (typically). Anyone who just goes along to get along, or who has their head in the sand is said to be drinking the Kool-aid. It's a largely American affectation of affection.

Now, on to the second part. I don't care who you are or who you think you are, calling someone else a 'racist shithead' isn't cricket.

Especially since race has nothing to do with religion. He may indeed be Anti-Muslim, (you'd have to ask him, I'm pretty sure he'd give you a straight up answer...) But to call someone 'racist' because they're speaking out about the practices of a certain religion, does not make one 'racist'. You are confusing race and religion, and using it as a very worn, and incredibly overused buzzword.

You can't cope with the argument, and now it's time to pull out the epithets.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Why thank you, ma'am. I'd always heard those of you in the UK were very proper and well mannered. Its nice to see I wasn't wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
    For just one thread...can you just stop being so disrespectful and rude? not to mention offensive....paaalease?
    AND for the record...back in the day, it was quite normal to get married at a very young age and to have children at the age of only 12 and 13..sometimes younger. and NOT only in the Muslim culture may i add!!!
    Doesn't make it right...no matter who did it. Just because you've drank the "can't we all get along" kool aid doesn't mean I have to. The "religion of peace".....isn't. At its very heart, Islam wants to convert the entire world. And who it can't convert, it will kill and enslave. You're in Europe. They've gotten more of a toehold in over there so you should *know* what I'm talking about. Having "Muslim only" zones and wanting Sharia Law implemented in democratic countries.

All this "nicey nicey" about good/bad Muslims? It PR to lull you into a false sense of security. Wake up. On 9/11, when the Towers were struck.....MILLIONS of Muslims took to the streets in celebration and support of the hijackers. They are, right now, running schools to turn children into suicide bombers. Even so called moderate Muslims, support the radical ones.

No...not every Muslim is a terrorist. But a true Muslim moderate is the exception and not the rule.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
    AND for the record...back in the day, it was quite normal to get married at a very young age and to have children at the age of only 12 and 13..sometimes younger. and NOT only in the Muslim culture may i add!!!
    Absolutely - King Henry VII's mother was only twelve when she had him!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X