X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juniper
    replied
    Re: Minecraft Thread of Mining and Crafting

Oh that's great information! Thanks Corvus.

Leave a comment:

• Corvus
    replied

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    I haven't actually looked for a server but I hear terrible stories about the public/free ones. :/
    I only just very recently downloaded it.
    Did you buy the game or download a free version?

Crash course guide to multiplayer:

Some public servers are better than others. Most servers can only be accessed if you buy the game because they check accounts through minecraft.net, however some are "cracked" servers which are run in offline mode and that lets it bypass the website. Meaning people who've the free version can play on them without buying the game. Most of these are crap but some are really quite impressive and better than some ones that are premium. It depends mostly on how nice the community is and how attentive the staff is.

The majority of servers (premium and cracked) run what's called factions as their main form of play which is an open player v. player environment with a built in function that allows one to form team groups, or factions, which confers on them benefits like being able to protect (well better protect) land and taking less damage from others in that land. It's similar to single player except everyone is basically out to kill you, steal your stuff and break whatever you've built. It is not meant to be a friendly environment.

Hunger games is another popular thing on multi, a minigame which is exactly like the books/movie. You get a starter kit and try to murder everyone around you until you're the last one standing. Limited players, an "arena" of land and some fun. Generally people are nicer than you would think when trying to kill one another.

Survival is my personal favorite. It's the same as the single player version but with other people. PVP is usually disabled. The goal is cooperation rather than war like factions is. Generally there's some form of anti-griefing plugs too. Depending on the version, unless you give permission for someone to alter your land it's indestructible as lava, water, tnt and fire do not function normally and will not damage your lands when placed on the outside.

Creative is the same as in the single player except you generally are only given a small area to build on. Skyblock is a floating island survival game where you use limited resources to survive on essentially a dirt chunk in the sky. Prison is kinda stupid imo. You play the part of a prisoner in a premade compound where there is open pvp but certain rules that restrict your actions (like using a sword in front of a "guard" means automatic death). Sometimes there's other minigames offered like mob arenas (think nazi zombies on call of duty).

If you haven't yet figured it out you don't need a server to play since there is a single player function. This is a different experience from multi for a number of reasons besides the obvious. Single player is a unique experience because one of the main themes of minecraft (Imo, on single player at least) is isolation.

I've been on a server for a few weeks called play.pika-network.net and am enjoying it. They actually maintain multiple linked servers offering all different kinds of gameplay (all the ones I listed actually). So you can move between them, trying things out or switching if you get bored. The community is fairly nice as far as it goes. The staff sometimes ignore you but are otherwise active with events and conversation with members. They have a forum that goes with their server that lets you report players and such, making that role of staff in the game itself less important to them. Since it's an old server it can be difficult to get started on Factions or Survival due to the lack of available land near the spawn point , and in the case of factions, hostile other players in advanced armor and weapons but people on survival are very willing to assist you. I'm well established on survival.

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
    As in your cant find a server to play on or?
    I haven't actually looked for a server but I hear terrible stories about the public/free ones. :/
    I only just very recently downloaded it.

Leave a comment:

• Corvus
    replied

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    I keep finding myself watching Youtube shows about Minecraft like CinnamonToastKen, Strippin and Markiplier...
    I even broke down and downloaded it but I can't play cuz I'm sans server XD
    As in your cant find a server to play on or?

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied

I keep finding myself watching Youtube shows about Minecraft like CinnamonToastKen, Strippin and Markiplier...
    I even broke down and downloaded it but I can't play cuz I'm sans server XD

Leave a comment:

• mahgdelain
    replied

Nooo I had just managed to break free from the obsession! (and replaced it with a replay of Skyrim, and with Banished.)

Leave a comment:

• Amadi
    replied

I'm kinda half glad, half horrified that I decided to click on this thread.. I thought I was over this game... Darn

Leave a comment:

• Watchful Wanderer
    replied

Indeed. I can say that I wouldn't qualify, since I'm not that tech savvy. Also I found this:

Leave a comment:

• Corvus
    replied

Originally posted by Watchful Overseer View Post
    P.S. maybe we could set up a MC server sometime, just to goof off in when we have nothing better to do with our time. :P
    We were discussing this awhile ago and I really like the idea but we'd need to find someone to host it. It would be very interesting to work with each other in that way. I would definitely play on it once I finally get the full minecraft version.

Leave a comment:

• Watchful Wanderer
    replied

nice films. I am a Minecrafter myself, with both the PC and PS3 versions of the game. I love how minimalist it is, and just the amount of freedom you are given(the only thing comparable to it is Garry's Mod), love that its a nice mix between Adventure, Sandbox and Horror. Honestly, I can't say anything about Minecraft that hasn't already been said. Except that at one point I would build temples dedicated to Greek Gods(including my patron deities) in Minecraft, it was nothing too grand as there were no statues and such, but it was still a nice thing to do.

P.S. maybe we could set up a MC server sometime, just to goof off in when we have nothing better to do with our time. :P

Leave a comment:

• Agel
    replied

Did I post here that I finally got Minecraft?

It's only on the 360, but it's better than nothing. Hoping to get it for the PC by the end of the year.
    So many hours have been spent in that game, it's quite crazy. Who knew that mining could be simultaneously calming and nerve-wrecking lol

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

So, I think I mentioned in here somewhere that I had been trying to throw together a kind of study group with the intention of hanging out in minecraft doing various quests and custom maps while practicing Japanese. Well today I stumbled upon an existing group. I'm so excited about it. I'm not sure when I'll find the time to take part, but I'm really keen to have a go. They have native speakers on the server and while there are people with far greater Japanese than mine, there are also plenty with lower proficiency, so I don't think I'll feel left out. In fact, I watched one of their videos and I understood it pretty easily due to watching so many lets plays in Japanese and having a good few Japanese minecraft sessions under my belt myself. So I don't think I'd struggle too much. Well, with the language at least. I'm sure I'll suck at the game itself as much as I always have! ;p

I'm so excited about this group. I can't wait to get going! Some friends from the forum I'm in seem to be planning on joining too, so I don't even have to be entirely with strangers! If I feature in any videos, I'll be sure to let you know, lol.

Oh and while I realise I've been lucky to find pagans who like minecraft, and pagans who know Japanese on this forum, I'm almost certainly pushing my luck to expect to find a Japanese speaking, pagan, minecraft fan. Still, you never know on this site... so just in case.. here's the link if anyone wants to join in!

The site scared the crap out of me though. I signed up and it asked for my minecraft name. I just typed in jembru like I do on everything and when my profile popped up, my avatar is the face from my minecraft skin (it's a vocaloid girl). I don't know how it did that magic.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

There was EVEN more. I forgot that I wanted to share this.. now, I love Minecraft music videos at the best of times, but this one just sends shivers up my spine.. it is so well animated. I've loved it for a while, but this morning, JP found the sequel to it. You need to see both of course...

Then the sequel, just as epic..

I LOVE MINECRAFT!!! Everything about this universe just has me in awe. I could so easily lose myself in the world of minecraft and never return.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Sorry I haven't replied here for a while. Work has been mad crazy because 3 people have transferred to a different service and we have 3 new people, but they're not fully trained, meaning the usual staff are picking up extra shifts.. All great fun ^^

I have all kinds of minecraft news. I've taken screen shots of the downstairs of my cottage, but I'd rather upload those when I have other things to share too.. like the enderman statue.

I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced bubbles yet? I mean in the ocean? We'd never seen them before and a quick google didn't find anything about them, but they definitely exist. Little rectangular chunks of the ocean where you can breath if you enter. The world looks so weird through them too.

JP is building a tadis. He can't make it very well at the scale he is working. I made a nice-ish one, but it has to be giant. JP wants it to scale, so there's no choice but to make it ugly and barely recognisable. What it looks like isn't the important part though. He's set it up with a command block so that when you walk inside the narrow blue box, you are instantly teleported to the control room (which isn't finished: I just spent 2 hours in the server with him, clearing out a mountain!). He eventually plans on making several of these boxes.. more and more as long as we play, that take you to various different worlds, ancient egypt, Edo era Japan.. various alien worlds. All built within the same world of course. Although he hasn't done it yet, he THINKS he can make it so you flip a button and it randomly changes where the teleport takes you. If you went to the wrong place, you can just turn around, walk into the tardis you teleported in front of, and instantly be taken back to the control room. It's an ambitious project, but sure beats his model railway!

Finally, I really wanted to share these. There are some great mods out there, but these are by far my favourites. They are just oozing with win..

Also, if the spawn rate was a bit lower, like it was meant to be, maybe as low as Enderman, this would be the best mob ever.. there are better spotlights, but I'm the Yogscast's b*tch.. I just love these guys, the whole bloody team! So I'm sharing this version:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh there was more.. I forgot. Has anyone seen the 'super secret settings' button on the menu screen? JP clicked it when trying to help me with my settings this morning and everything went crazy. My vision went upside down to begin with, then the image went negative, then there was like a TV screen boarder and the picture looked black and white.. how long has this feature existed?

Leave a comment:

• Corvus
    replied

thats exactly like she is! always ignoring me and jumping up on the counter (the only spot in the house not snow proof) whenever I get near her and we're in the kitchen. Sometimes she just stands in a corner or other times hides behind things and peaks out and stares at me. Snow golem behavior is ... interesting.I actually didn't know that the Japanese used it in that way though. I only knew it meant princess or goddess so I combined it with yuki because I'm horribly unoriginal. Long story short she's a cold shrew. I didn't even realize I was saying "we" nice catch XD.

Zombies as protection from what? .-. the only thing they would attack is you or other players. Maybe a trench filled with zombies or an inner wall area that you have to pass through to get into the place? you could rig some pistons to make a cage type thing to open to release the zombies on intruders.

I didn't come up with the trapdoor thing myself but I rather like it too. If you put them on a two stack of iron it's like a fridge. I didn't have space in my kitchen after I'd thought of it. Plus I live in a taiga biome so I could stick things outside to freaze them. I might copy your furniture at some point because I like the way it looks. if you put glowstone or redstone lamp (on) behind a painting the light shows through, which is a nice touch if you want to make a tv unit.

- - - Updated - - -

I was rereading earlier posts and you talked about mob worshiping villages and I suggested imprisoning a wither for skeleton village but couldnt figure out how to. Well if you turn off the mob griefing rule it can't break blocks so you could just cage it (this also stops creepers and ghast explosions from breaking blocks). Alternatively you could use bedrock. I don't think it will despawn if you dont name it but it will try to kill anything it can see that isn't undead. If Jp wants protection nothing like what's essentially a god for that, aside from the whole it's trying to destroy all life thing

- - - Updated - - -

I think my next project might be a giant christmas tree. I've still got tons of ice plains/taiga land

Leave a comment:

Working...
X