X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medusa
    replied
    Re: about Depression

I would just like to make a friendly reminder for those of you...less fortunate to not have a medical degree yet prattle on about how to cure said medical condition. Depression resides in the chemicals of the brain. Think on that a bit. Try. Really really hard. Then speak. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

Originally posted by warwulf View Post
    Torey;143104].While you're welcome to your opinions on the existence or lack thereof of mental illnesses, the OP didn't ask for it -

I can tell you're going to be a PITA, aren't you? I didn't ask for your petulant and belittleing reply either, but you sure wasted your time telling me about it, didn't you?

not to mention, it's rather insulting to people who suffer from mental illnesses on this forum to be told that all they need to do is "snap out of it". Do what works for you and don't project your theories on others who are suffering.

I meant no insult to anyone with any condition. I merely posted my own personal experiences. If that offends you, then perhaps you should conjure up some thicker skin from your Satanic lord. Until then, if you're not going to say anything nice then just STFU and ignore me.
    1) You posted in a public forum. This invites a reply.

2) The response you're quoting is actually more tactful than what you initially posted and vastly more polite than the post I have quoted.

3) Learn diplomacy, don't post or have your posts and eventually your ability to make them removed. The choice is currently still yours. If you don't commit to one of the first two options soon then staff will select the third for you.

Leave a comment:

• Torey
    replied

Torey;143104].While you're welcome to your opinions on the existence or lack thereof of mental illnesses, the OP didn't ask for it -

I can tell you're going to be a PITA, aren't you? I didn't ask for your petulant and belittleing reply either, but you sure wasted your time telling me about it, didn't you?

not to mention, it's rather insulting to people who suffer from mental illnesses on this forum to be told that all they need to do is "snap out of it". Do what works for you and don't project your theories on others who are suffering.

I meant no insult to anyone with any condition. I merely posted my own personal experiences. If that offends you, then perhaps you should conjure up some thicker skin from your Satanic lord. Until then, if you're not going to say anything nice then just STFU and ignore me.
    I see I have obviously struck a nerve?

Leave a comment:

• warwulf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Torey
    replied

Originally posted by TheDruid-3X3
    For the First Thing:

Stop Believing That You Are A Godlike Being!!!

There are plenty of Herbs that can cause you to think you are Great with Nature. They are Sedative and Relieve Stress.

3X3
    Hello, Ki No Ronin! Fancy meeting you here

What do you mean by "stop believing that you are a Godlike being"???

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied

Some of you people need some fing medication.

Leave a comment:

• iflewoverthecuckoosnest
    replied

BAH! This whole ADD/ADHD/bipolar is a scam to make normal people think that something is wrong with themselves. You are bombarded every day with useless commercials, listing hundreds of "symptoms" which could be caused by a thousand different things in the mundane life. All forms of main stream media communication will cause one stress, high blood pressure, ulcers, headaches, migraines, and loss of sleep. They intentionally want you to worry. Children are the most vulnerable as their un-qualified teachers are stuffing them full of drugs and dope that isn't even approved for human consumption, all the while "diagnosing" them with so-called behavioural problems when they are just merely acting like a kid!
    It's not the physical, it is, however, the mental. Crowley wrote "Determine then, to become the Master of your own mind". You have already recognized certain symptoms or ideas that you have which you associate with suffering, etc... but what you haven't discovered yet is how to shut the door on those concepts. It's all about your own mental attitude. Are you a beta male who will passively just take it and whine about it feeling depressed OR are you an Alpha Male, giving yourself a mental kick in the ass to get off the couch and DO something about it? Are you not the Master of your own mind?
    There is no one to forgive you nor help you but yourself. It might help if you imagined a deity talking you through it. Myself, I occasionally use the image of my old boot camp drill instructor screaming obscenities in my face, pushing me until I find the inner strength to make it over or through the challenge. It's all about making the conscious decision not to put up with the symptoms any more.
    This isn't even about depression but rather the lack of Will to succeed and overcome.
    Yes, forcing yourself to get up and do something can be helpful with depression, but the way you put that whole tirade was very ignorant and shows a total lack of understanding surrounding mental illness. Not only did you lump 3 different disorders (ADD, bipolar, depression) into one category, you also ignored the fact that there is a physiological component to depression. For some that component is more severe than others. Personally, I don't find that my depression is so severe that I need medication. I can usually pull myself out of it. But the bottom line is that some people do. That doesn't make them "beta", it just means that they have a more severe form of the illness.
    We can have a debate surrounding whether or not patients are overly medicated, but this is not the place. This person was reaching out for help.

Leave a comment:

• Roknrol
    replied

Originally posted by AutumnFox View Post
    If you would do some research, depression is very very real, as are the others you mentioned. Depression specifically (the one I am qualified to talk about) is caused by your brain not producing enough seratonin, a chemical that helps stabilize moods. Without proper amounts of serotonin, the person reacts to bad things much much worse than they should. Additionally, their mood is rarely stable so they can also get upset over nothing at all. I have been officially diagnosed with depression and have done my own research on it. Some people would not survive without the medication. Please leave this thread if you going to continue to berate the people here.
    Not needed. Who needs information or experience when you already "know"?

What I've found is that different people feel differently about different things. They also have different struggles, different backgrounds, different futures, different families, and different outlooks. I have met hundreds of thousands of people, from hundreds of different groups and social classes. There's always at least one douchbag.

Leave a comment:

• AutumnFox
    replied

This isn't even about depression but rather the lack of Will to succeed and overcome.
    If you would do some research, depression is very very real, as are the others you mentioned. Depression specifically (the one I am qualified to talk about) is caused by your brain not producing enough seratonin, a chemical that helps stabilize moods. Without proper amounts of serotonin, the person reacts to bad things much much worse than they should. Additionally, their mood is rarely stable so they can also get upset over nothing at all. I have been officially diagnosed with depression and have done my own research on it. Some people would not survive without the medication. Please leave this thread if you going to continue to berate the people here.

Leave a comment:

• midgnostic
    Guest replied

Warwulf is presenting the social model of illness as opposed to the medical model which does seem to be represented in force here. The medical model is seductive because it offers complete alleviation of responsibility - adherents are no longer culpable for wrong decisions because they are considered to be under the influence of an evil which cannot be mitigated save by solutions commandeered by licensed practitioners. Because the medical model doesn't permit its subjects to own the consequences of their actions, adherents cannot learn how to become experts in the field of their own minds and thereby implement actions and attitudes necessary to assert their position in society - which given their sensitivity - may be quite important.

Leave a comment:

• Torey
    replied

Myself, I occasionally use the image of my old boot camp drill instructor screaming obscenities in my face, pushing me until I find the inner strength to make it over or through the challenge. It's all about making the conscious decision not to put up with the symptoms any more.
    That's a good thing to add to this post - your own way of dealing with things which is what was asked for.

BAH! This whole ADD/ADHD/bipolar is a scam to make normal people think that something is wrong with themselves. You are bombarded every day with useless commercials, listing hundreds of "symptoms" which could be caused by a thousand different things in the mundane life. All forms of main stream media communication will cause one stress, high blood pressure, ulcers, headaches, migraines, and loss of sleep. They intentionally want you to worry. Children are the most vulnerable as their un-qualified teachers are stuffing them full of drugs and dope that isn't even approved for human consumption, all the while "diagnosing" them with so-called behavioural problems when they are just merely acting like a kid! It's not the physical, it is, however, the mental. Crowley wrote "Determine then, to become the Master of your own mind". You have already recognized certain symptoms or ideas that you have which you associate with suffering, etc... but what you haven't discovered yet is how to shut the door on those concepts. It's all about your own mental attitude. Are you a beta male who will passively just take it and whine about it feeling depressed OR are you an Alpha Male, giving yourself a mental kick in the ass to get off the couch and DO something about it? Are you not the Master of your own mind?
    There is no one to forgive you nor help you but yourself. It might help if you imagined a deity talking you through it.
    This isn't even about depression but rather the lack of Will to succeed and overcome
    While you're welcome to your opinions on the existence or lack thereof of mental illnesses, the OP didn't ask for it - not to mention, it's rather insulting to people who suffer from mental illnesses on this forum to be told that all they need to do is "snap out of it". Do what works for you and don't project your theories on others who are suffering.

There's a time and place for this kind of discussion - create a new topic, if you like.

Leave a comment:

• warwulf
    replied

BAH! This whole ADD/ADHD/bipolar is a scam to make normal people think that something is wrong with themselves. You are bombarded every day with useless commercials, listing hundreds of "symptoms" which could be caused by a thousand different things in the mundane life. All forms of main stream media communication will cause one stress, high blood pressure, ulcers, headaches, migraines, and loss of sleep. They intentionally want you to worry. Children are the most vulnerable as their un-qualified teachers are stuffing them full of drugs and dope that isn't even approved for human consumption, all the while "diagnosing" them with so-called behavioural problems when they are just merely acting like a kid!
    It's not the physical, it is, however, the mental. Crowley wrote "Determine then, to become the Master of your own mind". You have already recognized certain symptoms or ideas that you have which you associate with suffering, etc... but what you haven't discovered yet is how to shut the door on those concepts. It's all about your own mental attitude. Are you a beta male who will passively just take it and whine about it feeling depressed OR are you an Alpha Male, giving yourself a mental kick in the ass to get off the couch and DO something about it? Are you not the Master of your own mind?
    There is no one to forgive you nor help you but yourself. It might help if you imagined a deity talking you through it. Myself, I occasionally use the image of my old boot camp drill instructor screaming obscenities in my face, pushing me until I find the inner strength to make it over or through the challenge. It's all about making the conscious decision not to put up with the symptoms any more.

Leave a comment:

• AutumnFox
    replied

To deal with my depression, I find it helps a lot to know what is likely to trigger it. Granted, it can come on without provocation. But knowing my triggers and staying away from them helps. To do that, I have a select few people who are very close to me who I trust who know what will cause problems with me and they help keep me away from it. For example, seeing gore and stuff in movies can cause panics attacks with me so my best friend screens any likely movies and shows and tells me if I can watch it. If I can't she tells me all about it so I either don't have to watch it or will know what is coming if I decide to watch anyways.
    Another thing I find that helps is crafts. And theres a lot that you can incorporate into your spiritual practices. I make jewelry and chainmaille and needle felting, and plan to learn wood burning. All of these can be used for spiritual prayers or rituals if you want. I've heard from a lot of people that hobbies and crafts are great for battling anxiety and depression. (My friend and I were discussing making needle felt animals with herbs and stuff in them as sort of poppets or something... And I've seen people wood burn little disks with runes on them)

Leave a comment:

• iflewoverthecuckoosnest
    replied

When I am depressed, I have found that several things make a major difference.
    1) Taking care of myself and adhering to a routine.
    2) Meditation, especially LovingKindness or meditations on death- it's difficult to remain depressed and closed off when focusing on the fact that none of this will be here forever, not even myself.
    3) Get around positive people who love me- this is the one that had the biggest impact on my last episode. That kind of loving, optimistic, life affirming energy snapped me out of it.
    4) Avoid wasting loads of time on the internet. There is a lot of mind numbing, negative bullshit on the internet (except for PF, of course ). The last thing I need to submerse myself in when I'm depressed is a lonely world of negativity and mental junk food.
    5) Get exercise- I go for a walk. If I have a buddy who wants to go, maybe even a hike. Getting fresh air and making my blood pump releases some incredible endorphins and clears my mind.

Blessings

- - - Updated - - -

I also like to watch this video. It may not apply to everyone's depression, but it's certainly helped me through mine:

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
    The only way I dealt with my depression and got control over it was by going to counselling sessions with a really awesome psychologist. We managed to pinpoint where a lot of it was coming through and worked through it. So now I only get depressed every now and then rather than being up and down or being depressed for a month at a time.

It may also help to research depression and what causes it. This helps with our understanding of why we feel the way we feel sometimes.
    ^ This too. When I started seeing a therapist, she helped me pinpoint some of the causes of my depression and could help me work on them. I don't get depressed nearly as often anymore.

Leave a comment:

• ThunderWolf
    replied

I don't know if this is the cause with all depressive disorders, but I happen to have a dx of bipolar disorder. (Yeah, I just happen to be a cancer survivor too! LOL [I know...I'm joking about it, but it is a fact.]) Anyway, with bipolar it's a physiological disorder. In simple terms that means it's a psychological disorder with a physical cause (ie chemical imbalance). If you google something along the lines of how to deal with depression you'll probably find exercise and a few other common suggestions you might hear from people in the mental health care field.

It's been my experience that most often when I'm feeling depressed I sure don't feel like getting up off my duff and exercising! LOL And the real kicker is that there is a physical cause for it, so just some sort of mental activity doesn't really help much. I generally tend to veg out in front of the TV or just find some sort of busy work to keep myself occupied with on the PC. Or I sleep. That's a great one for me! If I don't feel better when I wake up at least I've managed to escape consciousness for a bit.

The biggest thing that helps me with the depression, though, is simple awareness that there's really nothing wrong with me or my life. Realizing that
    1) everything IS okay
    2) what I'm feeling is a result of a physical cause and
    3) I have no reason to get morose about whatever little thing I could choose to focus on and blow out of proportion
    makes it much easier to deal with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X