Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May Day: Beltane almost here, what are your plans?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volcaniclastic
    replied
    Re: May Day: Beltane almost here, what are your plans?

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    I always feel like it falls on the wrong day.... Like it isn't in the right space in the calendar.
    That's because the WotY comes from a mish mash of celebrations from the UK and Ireland, where the weather is different than it is here. For me here this far north in Canada, the solstices are constant, but Spring is more like May (aka celebrating Ostara is silly for me now that I live here, because it's still the dead of winter then), Beltane is the first signs of Spring, the autumn equinox is nearly the start of winter again, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Maria de Luna
    replied

I always feel like it falls on the wrong day.... Like it isn't in the right space in the calendar.

Leave a comment:

• Raphaeline
    replied

Happy Beltane!

We used to celebrate it, but eventually we were no longer really sure why we separated it from Spring Equinox, since they are so similar in the way we celebrate them.

Leave a comment:

• Malflick
    replied

Sadly, Nightingale is off on a school trip today, so no plans for us.

Leave a comment:

• Threshold
    replied

I'm stoked. I was able to find the marigold petals (calendula) for the custard!

This morning I found this lovely Beltane prayer, wanted to share it here.

awakening (a prayer for Beltane)

here lie new hope,
    new life,
    re-birth,
    here are the
    endless possibilities
    of the warming earth,
    may we too
    respond
    as seeds
    opening,
    driving
    roots down
    into fertile ground,
    and reaching
    to the light,
    awakened by the
    Spirit's breath
    to the rhythm
    of our days,
    to grow,
    to glory,
    to dance,
    to praise....

Leave a comment:

• GossamerB38
    replied

Happy Almost Beltane! It's my first, and I am very excited.

I will be making Scottish Oatcakes, as well as jumping over a candle (instead of a fire) and saying a prayer.

Blessed be!

Leave a comment:

• Yorin
    replied

Awwwwwwww -____- I just realized I'll be working. Phooey

Leave a comment:

• Carlin
    replied

I'd like to have gone up to the Beltane Fire Festival nearby but am out of luck with childcare this year. So instead my son and I will be having a special meal together on Wednesday evening, then when he's in bed I get some peace and quiet to myself after dark. On May Day itself I'll be going out with my camera (I feel more connected when out taking pictures than with any ritual).

Leave a comment:

• Threshold
    replied

Wow, that marigold custard sounds divine! Definately putting that on my list...gotta see about marigold petals, if I can't find them I think I will use saffron, that often finds it's way into holiday baking here.

The wine in the honey cake recipe also reminded me we used to make "May Wine" . We didn't have sweet woodruff so I used wild mint that grew in our yard. Wonderful stuff!

Leave a comment:

• volcaniclastic
    replied

Beltane is usually a time for me where I bless my seedlings, clean my altar, and start my outside altar. This year, Beltane is going to still see snow on the ground (though, the ground is actually poking through in places, so...spring is coming) and it's nowhere near time for seedlings, though I might be able to start planting seeds in little pots in the house soon. And my outside altar, well...I'm still going to try for one, but with so much wildlife and high winds, it may not work.

This year however, I can have a bonfire (though I guess I did last year too) and for years I have been making oatcakes on Beltane. I've got a really good recipe that's flourless (aka gluten free unless you can't have oats) with oats and applesauce and egg. (I'll dig it out later, I'm getting ready for work).

Leave a comment:

• Yorin
    replied

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    I will probably be working, but I am tucking that honey cake recipe of Yorin's away, see if I've got time for that.
    They seriously take like maaaaybe 10 minutes to make, if that once you've let the batter sit a while. Just be careful not to splash yourself with the hot oil-that shit hurts from personal experience.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Yorin, where did you find those recipes? Also, do you mind if I share them on my blog?
    Honestly, I don't remember for the life of me. Random searching back when I first joined PF online for Beltane recipes cause I was doing something with a friend of mine and happened to come across them. So I totally don't mind, and hopefully the creator wont throw a hissy fit either lol

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

Yorin, where did you find those recipes? Also, do you mind if I share them on my blog?

Leave a comment:

• Maria de Luna
    replied

I will probably be working, but I am tucking that honey cake recipe of Yorin's away, see if I've got time for that.

Leave a comment:

• Yorin
    replied

I typically go out of my way to make honey cakes both for myself, and to set out as an offering. One of these days I'm gunna have the stuff to make the Marigold Custard recipe I found for Beltane too. I'm thinking Imma see if I'm off work that day and spend it with a fire at the beach though.

But if you're interested-here's the recipes for both of those:

Fried Honeycakes

These cakes were left in the garden to please Faery visitors. If you plan to leave an offering to the Faery, double the recipe to keep some for your family. They're scrumptious.

1/2 cup sweet white wine (Woodbridge puts out a very nice Reisling for only $7 that I found works fantastic for them)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup honey
    2/3 cup flour
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
    Oil for frying
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat the wine & egg in a medium bowl. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt & sugar in a small bowl. Stir into the egg mixture. Let stand 30 minutes. Combine the honey & nutmeg in a small bowl.

Heat 1/2-inch of the oil in a frying pan until hot, but not smoking. Drop the batter into the oil 1 tablespoon at a time; fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dip into the honey.

Yield: 1 1/2 Dozen.

Marigold Custard

2 cups milk
    1 cup organic marigold petals
    pinch salt
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 vanilla pod
    3 egg yolks slightly beaten
    cinnamon & nutmeg according to taste
    1/2 teaspoon rose water
    whipped cream

Using a clean pestle and mortar (or a spoon will suffice) crush the marigold petals. Mix the salt, sugar and spices together. gently heat (do not boil!) the milk with the marigolds and the vanilla pod to let the flavours infuse.

Remove the vanilla pod and add the slightly beaten yolks and dry ingredients. Cook on low heat until it thickens. When the mixture coats the spoon, add rose water and cool.
    Top with whipped cream, garnish with fresh marigold petals.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

The kiddos usually make May Baskets (with paper flowers) and deliver them, and we bake sun cake (we pretty much do this for every sabbat--its basically an orange bunt cake with lemon icing). And we often go to the local festival...though we are not camping this year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X