Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monsno_leedra
    replied
    Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    I think what he means is: Don't be here to overthrow our government...

Personally I think it's more than that. We've always had enclaves of this or that ethnic group and traditions from their old country. Yet it seems we're getting more and more enclaves now that want to recreate their "former" home within the U.S. or change the U.S. all together. The Sharia Law thing I admit is a big one and appears to be growing regardless of our media and such doing such a great job to say its not. It's also things like the prevention of, or preventing of the display of American things less it offend someone. We see all the time kids being expelled from schools because they wanted to wear a U.S. flag but it might offend someone. Mexican's seem to be the group we hear that about a lot.

Granted a lot of it is probably also media spin the other way but it still makes it seem as if the American presence is being forsaken to appease the so called groups that want presence in America.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

I am a mean one mr. grinch..Or however the Dr. Souse line goes.

So here.

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

Well, I think we can all get behind that

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Yup,ya want the benefits of being here,you MUST want to really be an AMERICAN..all the way down to the warts and the full tilt eating American food that is always deep fried....

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    As a dual citizen, I can tell you that national identity is not that black and white. I know plenty of Americans with dual citizenship (mostly German Americans) who feel the same way.

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    And many of them ended up in St. Louis, MO (it has the highest number of Bosnians outside of Bosnia).
    That doesn't surprise me, since the US took in the highest number of Bosnian refugees of any other country.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    I am cool with immigrants,and when they become Americans and swear to forsake all other governments,and pledge to be completely AMERICAN!!! WELCOME WELCOME
    As a dual citizen, I can tell you that national identity is not that black and white. I know plenty of Americans with dual citizenship (mostly German Americans) who feel the same way.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

I am cool with immigrants,and when they become Americans and swear to forsake all other governments,and pledge to be completely AMERICAN!!! WELCOME WELCOME

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

Um, 2.7 million people (around half the country) fled Bosnia during the Bosnian conflict.
    And many of them ended up in St. Louis, MO (it has the highest number of Bosnians outside of Bosnia).

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

Strength in a country, as in genetics, lies in variety, not sameness.
    tHIS. A thousand times, this!

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Corbin, some 'Americans' are speaking very loudly for themselves here. And I am NOT against Americans - my last post was a response to Medusa's (and last time I looked, she is an American.) I am utterly disgusted with the UK/'s response too.
    I know, Tylluan. You seem to dislike most governments equally (jk ).

One rule of thumb I've come to trust in most situations is that those who speak loudest frequently have the least to say, and shout to drown out the voices of others.

The US has a long history of taking in people from other countries, and giving them a home. This is why the Native Americans hate us.

Everybody from religious refugees from Europe to Cubans fleeing Castro has found a home here.

Frequently there is trouble while they assimilate, but, in every case, the net result was a better country, with more diversity, interesting cultural traditions, cool foods, a massive influx of intelligence, and new ways of seeing things.

Strength in a country, as in genetics, lies in variety, not sameness.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

Corbin, some 'Americans' are speaking very loudly for themselves here. And I am NOT against Americans - my last post was a response to Medusa's (and last time I looked, she is an American.) I am utterly disgusted with the UK/'s response too.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Please do not speak, anybody! for Americans.

Each American has a voice of his or her own.

When somebody, anybody! speaks for "Americans" they are choosing the voice they want, and silencing all the rest.

I, myself, welcome refugees. "Give us your poor, your war torn, your huddled masses..." I am an American.

This discussion has become silly.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 13 Oct 2015, 01:36.

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

The US has taken in a lot of refugees in the past, though. During the Holocaust, the US was one of the few countries even willing to take in Jews from Europe (and as a result, you got people like Einstein). More recently in the Balkan conflict, the US and Germany accepted the largest bulk of refugees fleeing Bosnia and other Balkan states.

Leave a comment:

• Tylluan Penry
    replied

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Not really about this quote but to DanieMarie in general. You have such a good heart. I'm going to just lay it down. Americans pretty much don't give a shit about the rest of the world. You aren't going to reach us. You are going to drive yourself mad.

We keep telling the world this. And the world still thinks we are cool as the Fonz. :=I:
    It seems to me that you're right, Medusa. The US meddles, the US backtracks and says 'It's nothing to do with us' in a sing-song voice.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied

Um, 2.7 million people (around half the country) fled Bosnia during the Bosnian conflict.
    Not really about this quote but to DanieMarie in general. You have such a good heart. I'm going to just lay it down. Americans pretty much don't give a shit about the rest of the world. You aren't going to reach us. You are going to drive yourself mad.

We keep telling the world this. And the world still thinks we are cool as the Fonz. :=I:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X