X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medusa
    replied
    Re: African-Americans Are Boycotting The Oscars

Will Smith is mad he didn't get nominated in the movie Concussion (he should have. It's an excellent performance).
    His wifee got mad
    Now her friends got mad and said it's racism.
    Now bandwagon people are mad and said it's racism.
    And there you go.
    Boycott.

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It would be good to add diversity at the Oscars every now and then.
    But BMH is it about diversity or about quotas? If diversity then it holds to reason that a diverse field may not include each ethnicity but the genre of films actually being considered and voted upon. If it's about quotas based upon ethnicity then diversity is probably not going to be present as it tends to rule out diverse competition in favor of quotas. So should a more challenging film be omitted because it prevents certain categories from being present? Should the more diverse film be omitted with challenging riles and scripts to favor projects focused upon some ethnicity?

Consider the movie American Snipe about Chris Kyle for a moment. There are a lot of people upset at how it was treated given the influence and presence it had. Yet people are not boycotting the Oscar's or other awards programs because it wasn't received well for awards.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

It would be good to add diversity at the Oscars every now and then.

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Racism always makes the news because you can interpret anything that goes wrong (and something always goes wrong) as racism, and conflict sells papers...
    Racism and Prejudice sells lots of papers and gets applied to nearly everything and anything to the point where they have no definition anymore I don't think.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

Ok I made my decision that I'm going to watch the Oscars instead of joining the boycott because I need to know who's going to win for Best Animated Flim and Best Picture.

Leave a comment:

• ThePaganMafia
    replied

It's not so much the Oscars but the culture of Hollywood and the opportunities provided to minority actors compared to white actors.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

I don't think boycotting the Oscars won't make any difference in my opinion. It's just another temper tantrum just to change the world.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Racism always makes the news because you can interpret anything that goes wrong (and something always goes wrong) as racism, and conflict sells papers...

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

I don't know. It seems everything is about racism lately.

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

You know I keep hearing its racist yet i've yet to hear why the movies that where chosen don't warrant them and why certain "Black" movies should be included. I want an Oscar to go to the actors in the movie PIXELS it's a piss poor movie but I enjoyed it so they warrant it even if no one else liked it. Isn't that about the same meter used for saying some of the black movies should be placed there?

Besides the Oscar's is a really dump place to boycott, if the public wants their displeasure shown do it at the theater's. That hits in the pocketbook and might just influence the quality of movies being produced, the subjects being selected and the caliber of actors being used. Or we could claim Will Smith's son deserves an Oscar for his role in that piece of crap movie he stared in with his dad. You know the one no one can recall the name of for the most part because hardly no one saw it.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

It's kind of sad and disappointing that the Oscars lack diversity again this year. I'm undecided if I want to watch it again this year.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Morgan should get something for being so very cool at least.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Can't Morgan Freeman get an award, just for sounding like God having a good day, and having a cool earring?

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

I mean really...there are about 10 different award things for movies,right?

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

I dunno...

Maybe yes, maybe no. I don't see enough movies that aren't outright trash to know.

Maybe we need quotas?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X