X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawkfeathers
    replied
    Re: Do you know a bee when you see one?

I got 3. My neighbor had those underground wasps come charging out of their hidey-hole a few weeks ago. She poured gasoline down the hole! I have noticed, this year, I see ants on the hummingbird feeder as always, but no bees. Some summers, I had to wait until dark to empty & refill the thing because it'd be covered with bees. I also used to see little honeybees come drink from the birdbath. Haven't seen any this year.

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied

Got 4/6. The two I missed looked really cool.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    I only got three right. It's very interesting because I didn't think the ones I saw could be bees. Didn't get any wrong though.
    I only got three right, myself. I thought the others were bee-like wasps. They're easy to confuse with bees.

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

I only got three right. It's very interesting because I didn't think the ones I saw could be bees. Didn't get any wrong though.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Originally posted by iris View Post
    I missed 2 of them. They look really cool though
    Same here. I only selected 4 thinking there'd be fewer right answers than wrong. At least the ones we picked were all bees though!

Leave a comment:

• volcaniclastic
    replied

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    You know those little wasps that live in the ground and come out and swarm you when you step on a rotten log, the ones that look like tiny bees but are actually wasps because they can sting you over and over again, and do, because they are angry and mean?

I hate those.
    I'm anaphylactic to wasps. Those ones are actually the worst. We have prime ground wasp territory up here. I really should wear a bandolier of epinephrine whenever I go hiking.
    Last edited by volcaniclastic; 12 Sep 2017, 19:07.

Leave a comment:

• monsno_leedra
    replied

I missed a few of them to be honest. Didn't confuse the horse fly or cricket though but had never seen those on the far right choices. The middle top center sort of reminded me of the smaller carpenter bee though which is often mistaken for a bumble bee. Which I admit I never really think of as bee's though they are. When I think of Bee's tend to think of Honey Bee's more so than anything.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Me too,one there is a horse fly(the very first one) and a cricket below the horse fly. Also the velvet ant,DO NOT get stung by that thing!!

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

You know those little wasps that live in the ground and come out and swarm you when you step on a rotten log, the ones that look like tiny bees but are actually wasps because they can sting you over and over again, and do, because they are angry and mean?

I hate those.

Leave a comment:

• volcaniclastic
    replied

A wingless wasp. Gods above, somebody kill that thing.
    Last edited by volcaniclastic; 12 Sep 2017, 09:48.

Leave a comment:

• iris
    replied

I missed 2 of them. They look really cool though

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    started a topic Do you know a bee when you see one?

Do you know a bee when you see one?

Maybe, maybe not. Go here and pick the bees out of a lineup:

Can You Pick the Bees Out of This Insect Lineup?
Working...
X