• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juniper
    replied
    Re: Genetics and extinct animals

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I always want to see a dodo in person myself. I always want to see a dinosaur and dinosaur are considered extinct animals as well. As a matter of fact I always wanted to have a pet dinosaur to take care of such a a raptor and T-Rex. I believe Corbin is an expert when it comes to science and extinct animals. He might know somebody about it. I'm calling you out Corbin.
    Might I suggest a game called Ark, then? You can tame both Raptors and T-Rexes, and MANY more. Plus, it's a survival game.

Leave a comment:

• pillar
    replied

For anyone who didn't read Jurassic Park, heres some points. Extinct animals will not be well adjusted to the current environment. For example, bacteria in digetive tracks of the extinct animal, would likely not be around anymore. Therefore there could be big piles of poo laying around and the animals would not be very healthy. The animals could become a vector for some strange virus that has long since out-evolved the extinct animal. also things like oxygen levels in the air could be a problem. So as much as I would like to see a woolly mammoth I think there would be a lot of suffering on the part of the new animals before a population could adjust to our world.

Leave a comment:

• pragon
    Guest replied

I just sent some DNA samples to 23 and me. They are going to do some genetic tests to find out ancestry, health and much more. I'm pretty exited to find out my results. Right now they are isolating and purifying my DNA, from my saliva.

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
    Umm, excuse me?
    Well I suppose we have one exception. LOL. Me, I don't want to get struck by lightning by my deities.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

noted god boy
    Last edited by anunitu; 01 Aug 2018, 11:48.

Leave a comment:

• Sean R. R.
    replied

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
    We are not the gods.
    Umm, excuse me?

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

I'm 36. So I hope not to see the craziness of genetic use. Let's pray people have the sense to work things out before putting genetic power into use.
    It has become possible to do gene splicing at home. It will only become easier for the general population to do "home brew" gene mucking. It can't be controlled. This, in itself, is a major issue - the range of half-buttoxed schemes of the "general population" should not be underestimated.

It's gonna be an interesting future...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm 36. So I hope not to see the craziness of genetic use. Let's pray people have the sense to work things out before putting genetic power into use.
    It has become possible to do gene splicing at home. It will only become easier for the general population to do "home brew" gene mucking. It can't be controlled. This, in itself, is a major issue - the range of half-buttoxed schemes of the "general population" should not be underestimated.

It's gonna be an interesting future...

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

i may myself make 90 if i am unlucky.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

I agree with your opinion - it seems like a reasonable moral framework. However, I can guarantee you that's not what will end up happening.

Fortunately, I intend to die within the next 20 - 30 years, so it's going to be someone else's problem .

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I wouldn't want any extinct animals brought back only to be put in a zoo. I would want them to be able to roam free. However, things have changed, like they always do. We can't know what change would do to them if we did bring extinct animals back. I always have been stuck in the middle on this debate, but it is clear on some things that bringing back those animals that are extinct wouldn't do any good but harm them and make a genetic mess. We have no right to mess with genetics in such a way. We are not the gods. However, if it is used to maybe help with health then we should use it, but I think it should be looked at, in any case, through moral and ethic glasses. That's just my opinion though. You don't have to agree with me.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

At the risk of getting deeply philosophical...

Right\wrong, should\shouldn't? Insufficient context. Relevant to what or to whom? All such choices postulate an unspoken, idealized endpoint. Being idealized, the idealized endpoint is nonexistent.

Better to just speak reality - time is long. What can be will be. What is is what must be. What must be is what should be.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 31 Jul 2018, 05:32.

Leave a comment:

• Bartmanhomer
    replied

I always want to see a dodo in person myself. I always want to see a dinosaur and dinosaur are considered extinct animals as well. As a matter of fact I always wanted to have a pet dinosaur to take care of such a a raptor and T-Rex. I believe Corbin is an expert when it comes to science and extinct animals. He might know somebody about it. I'm calling you out Corbin.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Also remember that some animals brought death in some form to us,the plague flea, the Spanish flu,also called the avion flu,or bird flu. bringing back a species "might" trigger our own extinction(never know)

Leave a comment:

• Torey
    replied

Of course, in an ideal world, I personally would like to see the restoration of creatures made extinct by the actions of humanity. That being said, however, I would not support the resurrection of species (or even individuals) to have them thrown into a zoo or a park or have them live their lives out in a laboratory for the purposes of science. If the goal was to re-introduce these creatures to the wild, I'm also unsure if their former natural habitats even still in exist in many cases or, if they do, the question could be asked whether or not these habitats can support them considering the dwindling amount of wilderness remaining in the world.

How would re-introducing a species that has been extinct for several decades, let alone hundreds of years, potentially impact the modern ecosystems and creatures that presently occupy them? In the case of cloning, we also have limited knowledge (in the majority of cases) of the social structures and requirements of extinct creatures. If we were to bring back only a handful of individuals, what would their mental and emotional health look like without a herd or family unit? Additionally, challenges exist in genetic diversity and attaining a population large enough to successfully breed healthy, functional animals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X