• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norse_Angel
    replied
    Re: Unpopular Opinions.

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    My unipolar opinion... I think bacon is way overrated. Like pants.

I don't like bacon and most other pork products.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
    Just one question.. Have you ever had bacon?

Leave a comment:

• Juniper
    replied
    My unipolar opinion... I think bacon is way overrated. Like pants.

I don't like bacon and most other pork products.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    I've seen some moderately compelling justifications for Russia meddling in Crimea. My issue with Russia atm is that I don't particularly trust Putin to stop at Crimea if he thinks he can successfully meddle elsewhere and there are a lot of small nations near Russia who would really prefer not to be annexed. Several of said nations are also NATO members which means Putin moving on them could potentially set off WW3.
    In theory, but Nato or no, it would have to be HUGE to get most of Europe to go to war with Russia. They'd be more likely to just cry out about it and put up sanctions like they're doing now, but otherwise turn a blind eye.

Which leads me to another unpopular opinion on the other side of the Atlantic...sometimes places have to go kicking and screaming to bother going to war and sometimes things go way farther than they should because countries want to avoid war, and that's kind of OK. People still REALLY remember WWII here. I mean, we find bombs from it allllll the time and sometimes, people still die from them (like the 4 bomb squad members in Gottingen a few years ago). It would probably have to be an invading Poland kind of situation to get European countries to go to war.

And on invading Poland, a lot of people wonder why England and France didn't stand up to Hitler sooner. Aside from things like a lot of people supporting fascism in other countries (which is something everyone likes to ignore, but it happened), European countries were pretty war-shy after WWI for a good reason. WWI was HORRIBLE. It was also a really stupid war. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy enough for us to say "you should have gotten involved earlier", but I think it felt much different to them.

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

I've seen some moderately compelling justifications for Russia meddling in Crimea. My issue with Russia atm is that I don't particularly trust Putin to stop at Crimea if he thinks he can successfully meddle elsewhere and there are a lot of small nations near Russia who would really prefer not to be annexed. Several of said nations are also NATO members which means Putin moving on them could potentially set off WW3.

Leave a comment:

• Gleb
    replied

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    This is almost exactly my feeling.. although I didn't know any of that about the nationalism, maybe because it's played down in the media coverage. Oh and yes, I too am especially anti-Putin on his stance on homosexuality. If there wasn't still so much more persecution in Western societies, I'd feel smug about how liberal we are...
    I'm anti-Putin in general. Now the scum offers to divide Jerusalem. It's not going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

This is almost exactly my feeling.. although I didn't know any of that about the nationalism, maybe because it's played down in the media coverage. Oh and yes, I too am especially anti-Putin on his stance on homosexuality. If there wasn't still so much more persecution in Western societies, I'd feel smug about how liberal we are...
    For sure.

I'm definitely with you as well that from a Russian standpoint, what they're doing makes sense. The Russian support of the separatists also has a HUGE amount of political support in Russia. As they see it, they're totally justified.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I'm sort of with you in that I dislike both sides of that conflict. I see Russia's point of view, but I dislike Putin for a lot of reasons (like his stance on gay people). I do think that people don't really understand that Putin is wildly popular in Russia. There are a lot of issues with corruption, but a lot of people still support him. You can't always make the population of a country vote the way you want them to. That's not how democracy works. If that's how democracy worked, then we'd probably never see another Republican (at least not the kind of Republican who is dominating the party now) in the White House again, or another super liberal left-wing party in a national parliament. I still dislike the guy, though, and can't really say I support him.

At the same time, Ukraine isn't exactly peaches and cream, either. There's a lot of influence and support from the far right in that conflict, although a lot of Europe would like to ignore that because it's kind of an uncomfortable topic. There's also a fair bit of nationalism involved. The Ukraine is also not without its corruption; in fact, it's a pretty major issue there.

The best policy for the Ukraine conflict is to stay the hell out of it, but unfortunately, a lot of countries can't see past their hatred of Russia.

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

My most dividing and controversial unpopular opinion is probably that I sympathise with Russia. Sure, things would have turned out a lot less bloody if Putin hadn't armed the pro-Russian's in Ukraine, but I don't see how his actions weren't logical from Russia's point of view, or how it differs from what Thatcher did in the Falklands. Disputes over territory are nothing new, but I think that the sanctions on Russia were too extreme, especially as it's your everyday citizen who ends up suffering. I think The West came out looking pretty bad from this, especially when you look at Russia's economy before all of this kicked off. Coincidence? Or a chance to conveniently keep a 'dangerous' nation down? Hmm, I wonder...

Russia, IS corrupt as all hell, seriously dodgy.. just like we are, as is the Eurozone.. and the USA...
    I'm sort of with you in that I dislike both sides of that conflict. I see Russia's point of view, but I dislike Putin for a lot of reasons (like his stance on gay people). I do think that people don't really understand that Putin is wildly popular in Russia. There are a lot of issues with corruption, but a lot of people still support him. You can't always make the population of a country vote the way you want them to. That's not how democracy works. If that's how democracy worked, then we'd probably never see another Republican (at least not the kind of Republican who is dominating the party now) in the White House again, or another super liberal left-wing party in a national parliament. I still dislike the guy, though, and can't really say I support him.

At the same time, Ukraine isn't exactly peaches and cream, either. There's a lot of influence and support from the far right in that conflict, although a lot of Europe would like to ignore that because it's kind of an uncomfortable topic. There's also a fair bit of nationalism involved. The Ukraine is also not without its corruption; in fact, it's a pretty major issue there.

The best policy for the Ukraine conflict is to stay the hell out of it, but unfortunately, a lot of countries can't see past their hatred of Russia.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

My most dividing and controversial unpopular opinion is probably that I sympathise with Russia. Sure, things would have turned out a lot less bloody if Putin hadn't armed the pro-Russian's in Ukraine, but I don't see how his actions weren't logical from Russia's point of view, or how it differs from what Thatcher did in the Falklands. Disputes over territory are nothing new, but I think that the sanctions on Russia were too extreme, especially as it's your everyday citizen who ends up suffering. I think The West came out looking pretty bad from this, especially when you look at Russia's economy before all of this kicked off. Coincidence? Or a chance to conveniently keep a 'dangerous' nation down? Hmm, I wonder...

Russia, IS corrupt as all hell, seriously dodgy.. just like we are, as is the Eurozone.. and the USA...

Leave a comment:

• Rick
    replied

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
    I agree!

I always choose sausage, when asked "bacon or sausage?"
    I always choose both, because pork...

Originally posted by iris View Post
    It seems nobody mentioned pizza, pizza! Also bacon. And bacon of course.
    Oooo, bacon pizza... drooooool...

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

For me, the big one is salmon. I LOVE salmon. I don't eat it that much because I mostly eat local food and salmon usually comes from other places (and I prefer Pacific salmon to Atlantic), but it's something I don't think I could really give up, especially when I go visit my family in Canada. They always have fresh sockeye and it's just too good! It's also usually pretty sustainable, because they usually buy it from smaller fishing boats or get it from people they know who fish as a hobby. And I know how the fishery system works and how it is really strict about numbers and conservation.

Leave a comment:

• iris
    replied

It seems nobody mentioned pizza, pizza! Also bacon. And bacon of course.

Leave a comment:

• ThorsSon
    replied

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Also, another unpopular opinion (I guess it's not really an opinion, though):

I'm not that big on bacon. I mean, I don't dislike it and I enjoy it from time to time, but I could take it or leave it.
    I agree!

I always choose sausage, when asked "bacon or sausage?"

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

Did anyone mention Bacon....I think perhaps I could not exist without Bacon..or sausages,pork sausages!!!

Leave a comment:

• DanieMarie
    replied

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    I don't think poor people are vegan.
    I don't think so, either. Stuff like beans and lentils are pretty cheap, but you kind of have to go beyond that to get B12 and stuff. A lot of those vegan fortified foods and supplements are really expensive, not to mention the alternative milk and egg products and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, another unpopular opinion (I guess it's not really an opinion, though):

I'm not that big on bacon. I mean, I don't dislike it and I enjoy it from time to time, but I could take it or leave it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X