OKC May 3rd Tornado-25 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OKC May 3rd Tornado-25 Years

25 years ago, May 3rd 1999, the strongest and deadliest tornado ever recorded ripped across Oklahoma. At times more than a mile wide, the track ran from the far southwest corner of the state to well up into the northeast corner, destroying everything in its path, buildings leveled to the foundations, vehicles tossed and crumpled like tin foil, grass pulled out of the ground. Working security at a large OKC metro hospital, I didn't wait to be called in, and so, without intention, I drove parallel to this monster for half an hour or so, watching it in absolute awe. Yeah, I'm an Okie through and through, I still to this day run outside and look to the skies when the storm siren blows, but I never, ever, EVER want to see anything like that monster again. Oklahomans mourned then rebuilt; it's the pioneer spirit in our DNA, it's what we do. Pause for just a moment and reflect on the absolute power of nature and the indomitable human condition.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.
Working...
X