Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you never leave your house without?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaskedOne
    replied
    Re: What can you never leave your house without?

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    ^^^ How long do you think it'll be before there's an assault case involving one of those selfie stick thingies?
    Never held one so I couldn't say but given just how strange human beings can be about weapon selection, I won't bet against it happening at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkfeathers
    replied

^^^ How long do you think it'll be before there's an assault case involving one of those selfie stick thingies? (I didn't know those existed until the other day. I was reading the list of banned items for the Kentucky Derby, and was like, WTF is that? LOL)

If I tried to leave the house without my glasses I wouldn't get far. In fact I'd probably not even get out of the house.

Leave a comment:

• MaskedOne
    replied

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
    Going off topic, yeah, I see my knife as a tool as well, but now that I moved into a slightly bad neighborhood, I see it as something to use for protection purposes as well. Same thing with a gun, I keep my 9mm on the lower rest of my headboard, on my bed. that way, if some idiot decides my house is something worth breaking into, I can persuade them to leave.
    But yes, a gun would be something I would never leave the house without... If I didn't live in Illinois (one of the strictest anti-gun states)
    Alt-option if you feel a need to be armed. Find a place that teaches short-stick fighting and carry a hiking stick/cane with you. Nets you a large reach advantage against a knife or empty handed assailants and doesn't tend to attract cops. It won't trump a ranged weapon but if someone gets the drop on you with a gun in their hands, then you'd have a problem even if your state allowed concealed carry. Drawing a gun takes more time than squeezing a trigger.

Leave a comment:

• Jembru
    replied

Not sure I could do 5, but there are a few things I always have in my bag whether for work or going out for the evening, so lets see how far I can get...

1) My wallet
    2) My old invalid passport that has an unfortunately phallic drawing of a butternut squash on one page - I'm 32 now, so rarely asked for ID, but it still happens once in a blue moon. The old passport does the job.
    3) Sunscreen - This is usually in my makeup bag, but if I'm only going out shopping, I'll take the sunscreen out. I can cope without my makeup in an emergency, but not without my sunscreen.
    4) A textbook. When I'm at work, I have a big pink zip wallet that my notebook, vocabulary book, main textbook and 3 workbooks all fit in, that is always in my bag. It is important to keep your mind active on night shifts, so no one really minds me studying for short bursts if it helps me to stay mentally alert. If I am just on a night out or something, I have a small narrow phrasebook that I carry to read on the bus or if I find myself sitting alone at all. It's a book for improving your ability to express your emotions in English, but as it's written in Japanese, it works the other way too.
    5) My mobile phone. This is the closest thing to a weapon that I carry. I can call for help, or call the police. Or just call my mum if I don't feel safe, letting her know my exact location. At least if this is taken from me, it can't be turned on me.

So yeah! There are five things I always carry. I usually have a pentacle around my neck, but I recently went more than a month without wearing it (its back on now), so it would have felt dishonest to add this to the list.

When I was a kid, I couldn't leave the house without a toy. I would panic as we were leaving and grab anything. This habit never quite left me and has manifested into different things at various points in my life. In my late teens/early twenties, it was a crystal. It would change depending on my mood or what I was going out for, but I'd have to take a stone of some kind with me. These days the textbooks have replaced the toy, and I can get quite anxious if I forget to take one out with me.

Leave a comment:

• thalassa
    replied

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
    I'm sorry that you feel unsafe in your home state...

But my weapons tend to stay home.
    As a gun owner from IL, I actually prefer their laws to the open carry/licensed concealed carry of VA. I know very few people that do either that I think have the skill or training to be useful in an actual situation requiring a gun (for one of those "bad guys with a gun")...more likely they'd get their gun taken from them and used on them or they'd hit a bystander.

Leave a comment:

• ThorsSon
    replied

I'm sorry that you feel unsafe in your home state...

But my weapons tend to stay home.

Leave a comment:

• Norse_Angel
    replied

it is funny, to me, that you equate the two.

When I go out, I carry one of my W.R. Case Mini Trappers (I currently have 14 that I rotate (and several that I don't ever carry)... I am a collector of W.R. Case knives, but I can rarely bring myself to buy something and not use it).

To me, a pocket knife is a tool, not a weapon, and so I carry a hand-made knife of quality, that I can rely on. I don't carry something that flicks open with a fancy spring mechanism, something that has a flashy flourish when opening, or something with a large intimidating blade... I carry an old fashioned, razor sharp, hand made, pocket tool.

It is amazing how often a pocket knife comes in handy.

I use my knife, almost daily.

(but, then, I AM a country boy who works in construction)
    Going off topic, yeah, I see my knife as a tool as well, but now that I moved into a slightly bad neighborhood, I see it as something to use for protection purposes as well. Same thing with a gun, I keep my 9mm on the lower rest of my headboard, on my bed. that way, if some idiot decides my house is something worth breaking into, I can persuade them to leave.
    But yes, a gun would be something I would never leave the house without... If I didn't live in Illinois (one of the strictest anti-gun states)

Leave a comment:

• geoff
    replied

My Reading Glasses

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied

I carry a orange plastic auto close box cutter. We actually have to carry one on ourselves at work. But it's always in my purse. Just in case some scary dude runs up on me with a box and I have to cut his box!

Leave a comment:

• ThorsSon
    replied

I also usually carry some time of knife with me. Too bad Illinois has very strict conceal and carry laws, or I'd also carry a handgun.
    it is funny, to me, that you equate the two.

When I go out, I carry one of my W.R. Case Mini Trappers (I currently have 14 that I rotate (and several that I don't ever carry)... I am a collector of W.R. Case knives, but I can rarely bring myself to buy something and not use it).

To me, a pocket knife is a tool, not a weapon, and so I carry a hand-made knife of quality, that I can rely on. I don't carry something that flicks open with a fancy spring mechanism, something that has a flashy flourish when opening, or something with a large intimidating blade... I carry an old fashioned, razor sharp, hand made, pocket tool.

It is amazing how often a pocket knife comes in handy.

I use my knife, almost daily.

(but, then, I AM a country boy who works in construction)

Leave a comment:

• LunarHarvest
    replied
    1. Sufficient Clothing, or work uniform.
    2. Keys, so that I can lock the door and get back in.

Yeah...I'm pretty boring... :^^:

Leave a comment:

• Norse_Angel
    replied

• pants
    • pocket knife (rule-of-life-learned-from-dad: If I am wearing pants, I have a pocket knife)
    • phone
    I also usually carry some time of knife with me. Too bad Illinois has very strict conceal and carry laws, or I'd also carry a handgun.

Leave a comment:

• ThorsSon
    replied
    • pants
    • pocket knife (rule-of-life-learned-from-dad: If I am wearing pants, I have a pocket knife)
    • phone

Leave a comment:

• anubisa
    replied

1. My purse. (My dad says I am like my great Aunt Faye who used to carry her purse everywhere. Strange thing is that I never did that when I was a teenager.
    2. A book if i'm going to a doctor's appointment.
    3. The garage door opener.
    4. The cellphone.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied

those are quite hard to forget
    Lol. I'm not even kidding. I have very thin brows (I didn't over pluck, they are just like that). So I add them in so I don't look so tore up. In fact I spend about 25 minutes putting on a face to look like I have no make up on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X