Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odhinn Worship - Anyone dedicated to Odhinn here? How is your relationship with Him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odhinn Worship - Anyone dedicated to Odhinn here? How is your relationship with Him?

Is anyone here dedicated to Odhinn All-Father? What's your experience with Him?
    How do you perform your ritual/blot/worship? Does he "link back" to you, or is a one way thing?
    I have serious trouble reconnecting with The All-Father.

Full story here:
    Forum --> Religion and Spirituality -->Pagan Traditions & Discussion --> Runic Meditation - Connection to the Old Man.

Cheers

Re: Odhinn Worship - Anyone dedicated to Odhinn here? How is your relationship with H

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Re: Odhinn Worship - Anyone dedicated to Odhinn here? How is your relationship with H

Thank you Thorbjorn, your advice sheds light to a lot of things I previously misunderstood. I concur with your description of the Allfather, I sensed it before although I could not pinpoint it until I read your post. Moreover, statements from a couple of people who had a brush with the Allfather echoed yours. At the moment I dedicate myself mainly through learning, experimenting and seeking general knowledge to fill the gaps in my understanding (which are numerous at the very least). As I do so, I felt myself edging closer to him after revelations and discoveries. I could almost hear the Allfather laugh when I let out an "Ahhhhhhh... so that's how it works".

As a fledgling in Asatruism, I have a lot to learn. So if it's not too intrusive, may I ask what is like to have Thor as a fulltrui? And how does he respond? On the other note, have you read my other post - what do you make of it?

Comment

is the Regular Joe's god. is rough and rowdy, boisterous and the kind of guy you want to have your back. He can be a big brother or a buddy who will take you out to a bar, get you drunk and into brawls, but make sure you don't get hurt and that you get home safely. He likes to have a good time. He's like the friendly and good-natured college jock. He's smart and clever in his own way (read for that). He's got a quick temper but he's equally quick to calm down. He leads with his chin, being impulsive and brash, but he's very protective. Those are things I have in common with him, and are probably the biggest reasons why I was drawn to him. None of the gods or goddesses will hover over you, meddle or micro-manage your life. Being Heathen means to take care of yourself and your tribe (i.e. family and inner circle, innangar). But if you really need him, he'll come. However, when he's working, it's best to get out of his way. That is, don't go out during a thunderstorm thinking you won't get hurt or get into trouble. I found that out the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
          However, when he's working, it's best to get out of his way. That is, don't go out during a thunderstorm thinking you won't get hurt or get into trouble. I found that out the hard way.

Comment

Thor takes a punch-first-talk-later approach when someone he cares about is in danger, insulted or offended. When Loki cut off Sif's hair, Thor raged and vowed to rip Loki's head off but at the same time comforted Sif when he saw how upset she was. In Lokasenna he again threatened to knock Loki's head off his shoulders because he was insulting the other gods and goddesses, who are Thor's kin and friends. Thor is quite compassionate, his patience is lacking where word games, deceit or something of that kind are involved. He values honesty and intensely dislikes dishonesty and deceit, because he is so forthright. He resorted to trickery only twice, once in and once in Thrymskvida (where he dressed as a bride) because his daughter and Freyja were in danger of being abducted, and to retrieve his stolen hammer. The deceit was a last resort. Despite his brashness it's difficult if not impossible to offend him personally, especially if one is devoted to him. He knows his friends from his enemies and treats each accordingly. Don't be afraid of him. He's really quite a cool dude.

Comment

Well, as you may tell from my chosen screen name, Old One Eye and I have a bit of an understanding. I'd support what Thorbjorn said about him for the most part, though I've gotten the grandfatherly vibe from him a time or two. Yes, only a time or two over the many years I've been in contact. He's made it a point that he doesn't mess around, and that when he speaks, you damn well better listen because he's not too keen on repeating himself. He's not as much a god of action, as you'd find Thor to be, but is more of a contemplater and a planner, a learner and a seeker. You'll get out of something what you put in.

Like with all of the Norse gods, honesty and confidence is the best way to approach him, as well as acceptance of all the things in your life. He won't give you a chance to make excuses, and he really doesn't want to hear them. I know he sounds a bit harsh, but he really isn't. Be honest with yourself and be honest with him, and he'll listen and respond. Ask what you will with surety and humility, and he will guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
                Despite his brashness it's difficult if not impossible to offend him personally, especially if one is devoted to him. He knows his friends from his enemies and treats each accordingly. Don't be afraid of him. He's really quite a cool dude.
                Well, this gives me a much needed relief (as lame as it sounds). It's Thursday too, so to start my day I'll go outside with a can of beer, draw a hammer on the ground and pour a bit over it, and after a small prayer to Thorr (picture below), gulp it down instead of having my customary morning tea. I'm sure the landvaettir will like it too, hehehe). I owe you a lot of thanks Thorbjorn.
                Untitled.jpg

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                He's made it a point that he doesn't mess around, and that when he speaks, you damn well better listen because he's not too keen on repeating himself. He's not as much a god of action, as you'd find Thor to be, but is more of a contemplater and a planner, a learner and a seeker. You'll get out of something what you put in.

Like with all of the Norse gods, honesty and confidence is the best way to approach him, as well as acceptance of all the things in your life. He won't give you a chance to make excuses, and he really doesn't want to hear them. I know he sounds a bit harsh, but he really isn't. Be honest with yourself and be honest with him, and he'll listen and respond. Ask what you will with surety and humility, and he will guide.
                Aye Sir, your screen name and profile picture reminds me of certain Thought and Memory ::
                In regards of your description, I sensed something similar very strongly in my initial encounter with the Allfather, despite my ignorance of his nature back then. He simply radiated his nature, which I've come to understand the hard way. In any case, I have good reasons why I....need....to be closer to him spiritually. It's not necessary for you to read the whole thing but I wrote my experience here if you want to read it:
                Forum --> Religion and Spirituality -->Pagan Traditions & Discussion --> Runic Meditation - Connection to the Old Man (sorry, I can't post links yet. Newbs don't have this perk. lol).

My gut tells me I'm edging closer ever so slowly toward the Allfather each time I understand something new. He simply urged me to keep learning and when I actively heed his instructions, I sense that our connection is stronger. That being said, although he is not as responsive in his interaction with mortals like most other deities I previously linked up with, now I'm beginning to see that my relationship with him is not totally severed as I thought before.

Comment

Nial, 15 posts should give you linking rights.

Past that, anything I could say about Odin (or Thor for that matter) has already been stated by those more knowledgeable about them.

Comment

One other thing I forgot to mention about the Big Guy. Keep in mind that he willingly hung, starved, and stabbed himself, as well as gouged out his own eye all for the sake of knowledge. If he's going to go to those lengths to get what he wants, he's expecting you to be able to sacrifice a bit for your needs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Niall_Leppu View Post
                      Well, this gives me a much needed relief (as lame as it sounds). It's Thursday too, so to start my day I'll go outside with a can of beer, draw a hammer on the ground and pour a bit over it, and after a small prayer to Thorr (picture below), gulp it down instead of having my customary morning tea. I'm sure the landvaettir will like it too, hehehe). I owe you a lot of thanks Thorbjorn.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4241[/ATTACH]

Nice! Happy Thorsday... let's get hammered.

Comment

Working...
                      X