Photo sessions for everything....ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo sessions for everything....ugh

Is anyone else totally sick of this? I'm seeing professional photo sessions for EVERYTHING these days. Engagements, pregnancy, "gender reveals" (where you reveal the gender of your unborn child, sometimes even accompanied by a party...seriously), anniversaries....ever little life event.

Does anyone else remember the only times you hired a photographer to take glossy photos of your life was your wedding, and you did family portraits once a year at Sears? I know those photos were terrible and a lot of on-field photographers do much better work, but there has to be a happy medium. It feels like social media is turning into a magazine where everyone spends stupid and pointless amounts of money showing off. I don't know about you all, but I'd rather spend my money on traveling or actual stuff I can use.

Re: Photo sessions for everything....ugh

In the late 70's, I had a nice SLR camera, and really enjoyed photography for many years. I managed a studio that did weddings & graduation portraits, and it was like you said - special events. It's insane now. And - most of these are sold as digital products, so will intermingle with the thread about the past/future and how media changes. People photo & video all these things on their phones, too, and eventually will not be able to access them all. It's not like having an actual physical photo album or box of negatives.

I don't remember any such thing as "promposals" and half the stuff that money is spent on today. It's kind of silly, IMO, and like everything else, takes away from family time. Grandpa taking forever to set up his camera and take our pictures on holidays was fun!
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Oh god, promposals. How is that even a thing? I was listening to a podcast (I think it was This American Life) and someone was talking about prom dates and saying how it's the most important decision next to marriage that you can make. Is it, though? Because you're not committed to that person legally and don't have to associate with them again after that night if you don't want to. We didn't even do prom dates at my school. We walked down the floor at graduation with the opposite sex, but we had to decide who to walk down with so early that most people just chose their platonic friends.

I just don't see how everything has to be an event, let alone so polished. I like special occasions and holidays as much as the next person, but I don't hire photographers and create coordinated decorations for them. I think it kind of detracts from life events are actually important as well. Like, if you have a kindergarten graduation, elementary school graduation, middle school graduation and numerous grade graduations in between, is your high school graduation really all that big (or do you have to make it even bigger to compare?) I'm happy for acquaintances that have babies, but I find myself kind of caring less when the baby comes when they've documented every single step in the pregnancy in polished detail.

I do know a lot of professional photographers and I don't begrudge them the work that they get, but it just seems like there's a whole lot of overkill.

Comment

I think it's simple. We have far too much time and disposable income these days, and live in a world that is constantly trying to sell us meaningless tat. A fool and his money and all that...
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Wait oh wait,I have not yet shown you my bottle cap collection

Isn't it just oh so cool...

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me when I say,I do NOT collect bottle Caps...
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm gonna thank the selfie for it. Yes I agree photo sessions for everything are obnoxious and annoying. I've seen all the above also my brother and sister in law had a gender reveal party for my niece except most of the time those are actual baby showers not there own separate party. I'm also not all about the each month pregnancy photo they have going on either. I understand women are suppose to be beautiful during this time but all I feel is fat, tired and uncomfortable. There is nothing beautiful about me!
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

This is one of the pics my parents took, senior year - 1975. I'm still friends with this guy!
              Mattprom.jpg
              sigpic

Comment

Look at how lovely you are!! What a great photo. I love pictures I really do. Its nice to be able to see things from the past that my memory doesn't always remember but I don't need a picture of EVERYTHING.
                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

Comment

Thanks! I remember being thin and blonde.... LOL I really don't remember being asked to the prom. If you had a bf, you knew you were going with him, pretty simple! Oh and what they spend on dresses, etc., is crazy too! Of course everything costs more than back then (That gown was about $35.00) but some spend thousands, and it seems silly to go into debt for a dance.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    This is one of the pics my parents took, senior year - 1975. I'm still friends with this guy!
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4821[/ATTACH]
                    Adorable! I love your dress!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    Look at how lovely you are!! What a great photo. I love pictures I really do. Its nice to be able to see things from the past that my memory doesn't always remember but I don't need a picture of EVERYTHING.
                    Like you, I also love photos. When I was younger, I took a lot of webcam shots (the early 2000 version of the selfie) and posted them to MySpace and stuff, and I still love snapping pics of my vacations and stuff I made (though, I'm not in very many of them these days). I just don't see why so many people feel the need to have professional pictures for everything or look so polished all the time. I love candid photos!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    Thanks! I remember being thin and blonde.... LOL I really don't remember being asked to the prom. If you had a bf, you knew you were going with him, pretty simple! Oh and what they spend on dresses, etc., is crazy too! Of course everything costs more than back then (That gown was about $35.00) but some spend thousands, and it seems silly to go into debt for a dance.
                    I used to work at a bridal/prom shop and it's pretty crazy. Even in the early 2000s, lots of girls were spending several hundred on dresses. When I graduated, a lot of girls spent a lot of their job money on their gowns. I made mine with real silk fabric for under $100 Canadian (which was about $75 US at the time).

Comment

I wonder if they have photographers document their dress shopping experience! LOL
                      sigpic

Comment

I personally hate the whole selfie thing too. I guess I'm biased though because I'm so hideous in photos. The thought that some people are proud of how they look enough to want to show off pictures of themselves pouting at their phones is an alien concept to me. Whenever I go anywhere nice I'd like to share with fb friends or whatever, I look so bad in every single photo that I just don't bother posting at all. My fb page is like a ghost town*. Little besides the occasional cat image someone decided to tag me in or post to my wall.. which is even worse when I think of it. People see cats and the first thing that pops into their head is me.

Omgs, I've become THAT woman.

*Not including the photos JP recently uploaded of the alcoholic storm trooper that moved in with us and does all our housework in exchange for beer..
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

You are not horrible in photos. Don't be so hard on yourself, aren't we working on positive body image?? Well that goes over to photos to my lovely lady! And I can say lovely lady cause I have seen photos of you that you have posted. I probably take way to many pictures of food. I don't post them all but I love food, oh and my dogs.

Comment

^^
                            Yeah but it's not quite as straightforward as suddenly thinking I'm picture perfect! I've been debating blogging about my journey so far actually..

In short though, the reason the positive body image thing is finally working is because I discovered there's a difference between accepting yourself as you are, and being able to see yourself as more attractive than you are. I used to think that unless I could look in the mirror and see someone with a pretty face and normal figure looking back at me, then I've failed. But I don't have a 'normal' figure, and I have unfortunate bone structure and skin. I can't change that, so instead I've learnt that it's okay to be the shape I am. Most importantly is that I've learnt that it's also okay for people to be thinner or prettier than I am, and that their existance doesn't affect me in any way.

Sadly my face really does look bad in photos. I have dark circles under my eyes that are genetic rather than something I can fix with plenty sleep. They're very ageing and make me look kinda sickly. Now and then I get a lucky shot where the light was just right, but usually I look worse in photos than I do in real life (I don't mind moving videos of myself for example).

It's okay. I'm honestly okay with being a bit hard on the eyes, and ive gained half a stone and I'm not freaking out about it, or planning my next crash diet. That said, I'm not so okay with it that I want to post dozens of pouting pics of my imperfect face and body to fb, so my friends can gasp and say 'hasn't she let herself go' and feel better about themselves for at least not looking as bad as I do.. you know?

Sorry for the slight derail here. Although it's kinda tied in with the subject of general contempt for the current obsession with photos! I just couldn't imagine how it would feel to WANT to show off my latest selfie.

Comment

Professional photo sessions for being knocked up weird me out, but I love selfies.

Not gratuitous selfies, but the occasional photobombing my own pic.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X