Who's your favorite movie monster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's your favorite movie monster?

Well I went to see The Nun with my dad the other week and a trailer of Godzilla: King of Monsters previewed. I watched a lot of the old Godzilla movies when I was a little girl with my mother. Godzilla and Mothra are two of my favorite movie monsters and in the new trailer it features some of the old monsters which include Godzilla (of course), Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. So I was just wondering, who is your favorite movie monster?
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: Who's your favorite movie monster?

To be honest I can't pick a favorite because "Movie Monster" covers to large a spectrum.

For the Japanese Kaiju type monsters I've always preferred Godzilla and Gamera in the early movies. Never much cared for either once they became "Friends" vice monsters. That's what hurt the Gamera series the most I think. Despise the American version of Godzilla though. There are some interesting Korean monsters as well and a few 1 run Japanese movie monsters such a Varan (1962) that I enjoyed but they are hard to find now. The Japanese had a series called Daimajain that was interesting and had something like 2 movies. Technically it was a kaiju but also a monster spirit trapped in stone. But then some place the 1933 King Kong into that same kaiju type movie which to me will always be a better movie. The same could be said for the 1949 Might Joe Young movie. Somewhat similar to the King Kong movie but different at the same time, but worlds above the 1933 sequel to King Kong called Son of Kong.

So I tend to break things down into generations and genre's. My favorites though tend to be from two main generation, that being the late 1930-1940's and the 1950's. For the late 1930-1940's it's the so called classic movie monsters like Invisible Man, Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman and Mummy and for the 1950's the so called big bug and dinosaur movies. I don't persay have a favorite though I prefer THEM, DEADLY MANTIS, THE GIANT BEHEMOTH, IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA, TARANTULA, 50 MILLION MILES TO EARTH to name a few.

The 1960's and 1970's have their movie monsters as well but they didn't register as larger for me. I suppose mostly because I started to see more fantasy and Sci-fi coming around than horror. That and I saw more of the Zombie type movies arriving at the time which I didn't have a great interest in at the time though today I do find more of them of interest. Especially through the 1970's. Amando De Ossorio's Blind Dead series about the Knights Templar filmed through the early 1970's (4 films) is an interesting series. Various cuts exist in English and Spanish.

Never much cared for the slasher type horrors though I've watched more than a few of them. So the Nightmare of Elm Street's, Halloween's, Friday the Thirteenth's, Saws' and more recent never really appealed to me. Others such as Silent Hill are slasher's but the story line has held my attention and are deeper than the typical bunch of kids getting killed in the same typical manner over and over.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

my fav is predator and the alien series. but then i am not a huge monster movie type, Old bowery boys and abbot and Costello stuff,like they meet the wolf man,and Dracula ones. slasher ones never liked by me at all.

- - - Updated - - -

see here.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        my fav is predator and the alien series. but then i am not a huge monster movie type, Old bowery boys and abbot and Costello stuff,like they meet the wolf man,and Dracula ones. slasher ones never liked by me at all.
        I always liked Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein but that was also sort of the end of the heyday for the classic monsters. Universal was combining them to get the most bang for the buck at that time. Though they did a good job with that one but didn't care to much for the other Abbot and Costello meet a monster movies. When they meet the Invisible Man was ok I though but never found it entertaining when they later meet Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or the later Mummy movie.

Comment

The predator dinosaurs from the Jurassic Park movies.
          The vampire Lestat from Interview With The Vampire.
          The Beast (from Beauty and the Beast).
          The dragons from Game of Thrones.
          Ludo from Labyrinth. He looks like a monster, but he's actually just a big teddybear.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
            The predator dinosaurs from the Jurassic Park movies.
            The vampire Lestat from Interview With The Vampire.
            The Beast (from Beauty and the Beast).
            The dragons from Game of Thrones.
            Ludo from Labyrinth. He looks like a monster, but he's actually just a big teddybear.
            I would argue that in the more modern versions of Beauty and the Beast, Beast isn't the monster, but rather Gaston. In earlier folklore versions, Gaston doesn't exist, and the personality type he portrays is actually a part of the beast. Sometime in the 19th century, Gaston was first introduced. (Or there abouts...I don't 100% remember who introduced Gaston).

My answer would depend on the definition we are using for 'monster'. Classically, Bram Stokers Dracula. But I really love transformative characters in film or literature. Jaime Lannister from GoT, for instance. He's generally repulsive, but becomes more and more relatable as time goes by and some semblance of humanism is portrayed.

I really like any monster that explores the idea that the darkest parts of ourselves created the monster.

But I guess that's more in literature. I honestly don't really watch films.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              I would argue that in the more modern versions of Beauty and the Beast, Beast isn't the monster, but rather Gaston. In earlier folklore versions, Gaston doesn't exist, and the personality type he portrays is actually a part of the beast. Sometime in the 19th century, Gaston was first introduced. (Or there abouts...I don't 100% remember who introduced Gaston).

My answer would depend on the definition we are using for 'monster'. Classically, Bram Stokers Dracula. But I really love transformative characters in film or literature. Jaime Lannister from GoT, for instance. He's generally repulsive, but becomes more and more relatable as time goes by and some semblance of humanism is portrayed.

I really like any monster that explores the idea that the darkest parts of ourselves created the monster.

That's interesting! I think Beauty and the Beast must have been my favorite Disney movie as a kid and I've never really looked up the history behind the story. I don't think of the Beast as evil, but he did turn into a monster to portray his behaviour as a human, until he met Belle of course. I agree that Gaston is the real monster in the movie.

I'm interested in the background of characters. Lestat for example is portrayed as a monster in the movie, but if you've read the books, you understand where his evil behaviour comes from. It's still not an excuse to suck the life out of everyone the way he does though :P

Comment

I'm with anubisa on this - the good old Godzilla!
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Last edited by monsno_leedra; 29 Sep 2018, 13:12.

Comment

I don't have a specific favorite but, for today, I'll go with Terminators. They don't have anything specific against you (unless you're on their target list). They just have a job to do and they will do it unless you take them out. Also, T-800s in T1 and T2 are marvelous examples of less is more. They are not spectacularly powerful on a sci-fi scale but they are more than enough to be nearly unstoppable for people operating with small arms and jury-rigged equipment.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Dracula from the 1992 movie is a favourite. And ludo from labyrinth too, I love him. Katla, a dragon creature in "the brothers lionheart" (Swedish children's movie/book) used to scare me so much. I don't watch a lot of monster movies..
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                        I'm with anubisa on this - the good old Godzilla!
                        There was a Godzilla movie back in 1999 (I think it was) and it was featured in New York City. It really did not make me happy because it wasn't the Godzilla we know and love. It didn't have the roar that is familiar only to Godzilla. That is what I love about the old Godzilla movies and the most recent movie and new one that is coming out. It is staying true to Godzilla.
                        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                          There was a Godzilla movie back in 1999 (I think it was) and it was featured in New York City. It really did not make me happy because it wasn't the Godzilla we know and love. It didn't have the roar that is familiar only to Godzilla. That is what I love about the old Godzilla movies and the most recent movie and new one that is coming out. It is staying true to Godzilla.
                          Agreed. When I was a teenager, a local tv channel used to do a "4:30 movie" on weekdays and sometimes it was Godzilla week. That's when I first saw all those golden oldies! I loved the two tiny singing women in Mothra, too. Another old fave of mine is "Dinosaurus", a very primitively made movie from the '60s about a caveman and dinosaur thawing out from a glacier. It's done in that old stop-motion style that's really laughable today, but I loved it as a kid.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

I'm with you on all of that. I love that as well.

It's there in films as well. Good film uses the same story-telling elements as lit does. Like, some of the older Frankenstein movies (especially Bride of Frankenstein with Boris Karloff) explore the humanity of the monster and the more monstrous aspects of the humans in the stories.

Comment

Working...
                            X