Good & bad news in MI per student school funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good & bad news in MI per student school funding

The good news is that a $299 per student funding for schools has just been put in place by gov. Rick (the dick) Snyder in Michigan.

The bad news is that it only goes to Snyder's pals who are running poorly regulated and badly performing charter schools.

When kids end up graduating from high school, already buried is student debt - even before college, it will be too late to complain. Please watch what is happening in Michigan, so you'll have a taste of things to come.

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

That is all.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Good & bad news in MI per student school funding

That's bloody disgusting!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      That's bloody disgusting!
      Tylluan, I don't know how schools are funded over-the-pond, but here, public education is nonprofit, government funded, and free to all students - in theory.

However, charter schools are for profit, run by corporations, and students pay to go to them - also, apparently, in theory.

So this is particularly weird. The Dick is handing money to corporations, after first taking it from citizens in the form of taxes, then taking it again from their children's education.

WTF?
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The charter school thing has always confused me. I graduated from a charter school, it was the highest rated school in the state when I graduated. I didn't pay to go to it, but I did have to wear a uniform... I guess I had a unique charter school experience. I will say that the school could choose its students, you had to test into the school, and they could ask you to leave if your performance was not good enough, so I guess that's how they kept their ratings so high. But I never really learned about the charter school system. I should go do that.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          The charter school thing has always confused me. I graduated from a charter school, it was the highest rated school in the state when I graduated. I didn't pay to go to it, but I did have to wear a uniform... I guess I had a unique charter school experience. I will say that the school could choose its students, you had to test into the school, and they could ask you to leave if your performance was not good enough, so I guess that's how they kept their ratings so high. But I never really learned about the charter school system. I should go do that.
          Yup! That is how they keep their ratings up. Public schools can not, by law, turn anybody away - there is a big legal process that has to take place before a student can be expelled, and expulsion can not be for longer than 1 school year. Private schools can turn students away for any reason, or no reason at all.

Funding for charter schools goes like this: people pay taxes for education whether they have kids in school or not. The idea is that an educated public is in everybody's best interest.

When a person chooses to send a student to a charter school ("charter school" is a euphemism for "private school." I have no problem with these. There are some school districts with horrendous public schools - people there should be able to opt out), they receive a "voucher" for the "per student" financing that the gooberment allocates to the local school, and that is used to offset (or, in your case, replace) tuition costs.

I'm not sure if this is fair or not - seems to me that if, say, retired people with no kids have to fund public education, so should people who opt out of public education. But I'm not going to make a stink about it - like I say, I'm not sure where "fair" lies in this.

But, for the government to pay more per student ($299 is a lot more) serves no function, other than to take money from public schools, and make corporate education more profitable.

Comment

Well, thank the F'ing gods...

Michigan Governor Snyder Will Not Run For President In 2016: REPORT

For once, I find the comments below the article both appropriate and reasonable...

Comment

Working...
            X