Solar panels for apartments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panels for apartments

Recently I've been wondering what I can do to help the environment and the earth, and a thought came to me that a really easy way would be to use solar energy as a part of my daily energy usage. The only problem is, I live in an apartment building, and the only place I could really put a panel would be against a window. Still, I'm wondering if anyone has any information about something that could help me? I've seen products designed to charge mobile devices, but I personally don't use many mobile devices. I'd prefer if I could hook up a regular AC outlet into one, if those exist.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Solar panels for apartments

I like their stuff--its not cheap but its reasonable, has good reviews, and looks user friendly: http://www.goalzero.com/solar-kits

We live in an apartment too, and while our current place is too shady for anything other than using solar for recharging phones, computers, batteries, etc (I've had my eye on this one for a while), if we'd get a balcony then I'd go for this guy. Although, hurricanes being what they are, maybe this one would be a good idea!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I like their stuff--its not cheap but its reasonable, has good reviews, and looks user friendly: http://www.goalzero.com/solar-kits

We live in an apartment too, and while our current place is too shady for anything other than using solar for recharging phones, computers, batteries, etc (I've had my eye on this one for a while), if we'd get a balcony then I'd go for this guy. Although, hurricanes being what they are, maybe this one would be a good idea!
      That brand looks pretty nice, especially the Yeti 150 kit. Do you know if they can be used behind windows at all? I tried looking through the website on this, and couldn't find anything on that subject.

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
        That brand looks pretty nice, especially the Yeti 150 kit. Do you know if they can be used behind windows at all? I tried looking through the website on this, and couldn't find anything on that subject.
        I don't know. I would guess yes (because I've seen other solar panels designed for this), but maybe with a lower yield due to whatever the window blocks. The company probably has a "contact us" page where you could email for more information.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

We have a solar powered outdoor light. We love it....it's really bright and it lasts for ages! The electric lights we have installed are basically decorations now

When it comes to using small solar powered devices, it helps to think of how much power it takes to charge them. We have a panel for mobile devices (I know that you said you don't use them, but it's just an example), and when I looked into it, it turns out that they take minimal power to charge anyway. That's not why we got the panel (we got it for traveling and hiking), but it's worth looking into if you want panels for environmental purposes.

I think you can find larger panels that will charge computers and things...maybe something to look into?

One thing I'd recommend is to get lights and devices that use less electricity. They're easier to charge on lower solar power signals and if you have to use your regular power as a backup, they'll save you a lot of money!
          Last edited by DanieMarie; 04 May 2015, 13:36.

Comment

You might consider seeing if you can put a pane on the roof (if you are on the upper floor you can run the power cable thru a window) ... also check you tube for solar air heaters as heating in the winter can be expensive and very power consumptive ... Remember that you need to have your solar panel or heat collector facing SOUTH for those of us in the northern hemisphere ...
            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
            X