Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uses/Growing of Posinious Herbs and Flowers

Hail friends!
    So, a couple days ago, my friend visited from outside of state. He brought with him a cutting of Deadly Nightshade. Actual Nightshade, not one of its many differing family members. As I do now have an herb garden in my altar room, it fits in quite well. But is there anything I should be aware of in growing highly poisonous plants? Has anyone used Nightshade, or other toxic plants in their practices? If so, what have you used and how? I'm also in the process of getting Hemlock, and I know it has a reputation for curse workings.
    Thanks in advance!
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Uses/Growing of Posinious Herbs and Flowers

The only advice I have is keep out of reach of pets and children.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I would not mess with ingesting Datura toxins, of which nightshade is one. If you wish to ingest this stuff, be sure to do a thorough review of the literature.

Aside from that, deadly Nightshade isn't especially deadly. It does have a rank smell, though, and will spread like mad.

I don't know much about hemlock, except what Plato told me.

If you become interested in Monk's Hood, wear gloves. It is even toxic (dangerously) through skin absorption.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is some info on a famous "poison garden," and on poison garden in general that may be of interest:

Alnwick Garden

Wicked Plants

Poison Garden
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        I would not mess with ingesting Datura toxins, of which nightshade is one. If you wish to ingest this stuff, be sure to do a thorough review of the literature.

Aside from that, deadly Nightshade isn't especially deadly. It does have a rank smell, though, and will spread like mad.

If you become interested in Monk's Hood, wear gloves. It is even toxic (dangerously) through skin absorption.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is some info on a famous "poison garden," and on poison garden in general that may be of interest:

Alnwick Garden

Wicked Plants

Poison Garden
        These are great! Thank you in kindly. Yeah I've really wanted to grow a couple dangerous herbs for awhile. And I'm usually good with proper protection. I actually came into abundance of cocobolo for carving, which has extremely toxic dust and oils. One good breathe of the dust itself can collapse your lungs and cause respitory failure. I'm still here though, so I guess I did well
        thank you again for the links.
        - Finn's Saga

Comment

- - - Updated - - -

Alnwick Garden

Wicked Plants

Poison Garden
          As well, I actually own a signed copy of Amy Stewart's "Wicked Bugs" my friend got me. She is truly awesome. Love her work.
          - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
            As well, I actually own a signed copy of Amy Stewart's "Wicked Bugs" my friend got me. She is truly awesome. Love her work.
            LOL - I had Wicked Plants (I was considering poisoning someone at the time), but I later gave it away (didn't want evidence around...).

:devilish:
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

LOL - I had Wicked Plants (I was considering poisoning someone at the time), but I later gave it away (didn't want evidence around...).

:devilish:
              It's now on my list of books to get. But to be honest, it's quite hard to find seeds of some of those plants. Many Online "dealers" sell fakes. I've gone to several nurseries around Illinois, and haven't been able to find one that sells poisonous plants or their seeds. I guess it's for good reason, but still makes my attempts to building a poisonous garden difficult. I'll probably end up searching nearby forests for hemlock. It grows quite abundantly around here.
              - Finn's Saga

Comment

But to be honest, it's quite hard to find seeds of some of those plants. Many Online "dealers" sell fakes.
                I used to have sources for pretty much any plant I was interested in, but that was long ago, and most places have gone out of business.

You might try Alchemy Works Seeds for Magick Herbs

Comment

I used to have sources for pretty much any plant I was interested in, but that was long ago, and most places have gone out of business.

You might try Alchemy Works Seeds for Magick Herbs
                  This is great! I just have to put trust into I guess. But it is missing a couple I do want. Absinthe would be awesome to grow, but again, quite hard to find
                  - Finn's Saga

Comment

This is great! I just have to put trust into I guess. But it is missing a couple I do want. Absinthe would be awesome to grow, but again, quite hard to find
                    Absinthe is made of wormwood, which is actually easy to find. I planted some once, and still find it growing wild out back.

Comment

The herbs for absinthe are easy to find. Absinthe itself is not all that easy to make--you have to distill it (so you need the set up for distillation). But there are easier "homemade" infused alcohol versions.

There are three main herbs that make the absinthe flavor--common wormwood, anise, and fennel. Artemisia absinthium is the specific variety of wormwood...heck, it grows here as a weed, it is what you get the woo factor from (from the thujone). Green anise (Pimpinella anisum) contains anethol, which is also reputed to have psychotropic effects--its also what gives absinthe the clouding effect when you add water (like in Rakı). Sweet fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) is similar in flavor and chemical composition to anise, but the flavor is different enough that it compliments the other two. To be absinthe, these three herbs are pretty much a must-have, but there are other herbs too that are commonly included.

The rest of the herbs that often show up in various absinthe include calamus, star anise, angelica, corriader, hyssop, lemon balm, roman chamomile, small wormwood (Artemisia pontica), peppermint (a variety of mints really), lemon peel, and veronica (aka speedwell). At least one historical commercially available was a pink absinthe, made with hibiscus (which is tart like lemon...also how I make pink lemonade).
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Also, I recommend a thorough reading of Erowid's pages on any particular plant you are interested in using for buzzing purposes (Erowid's wormwood page).

Also, I forgot to add that the woo factor is debatable..and there is tons of misinformation about absinthe anyhow.

An infused absinthe recipe because home distillation of alcohol, even for personal use, is technically illegal.

ETA: Absinthe is traditionally made by secondary distillation (the herbs were macerated into (usually) distilled wine spirits (eau de vie), before being distilled again...most of the effect of absinthe is from really high amounts of alcohol and the placebo effect of expecting to get really effed up from what are really mild acting herbs.
                        Last edited by thalassa; 04 May 2015, 13:07.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not trying to make the drink, I've already had my experiences with brewing. We made wine a couple times... If you could get a cross between the strongest liquor you've ever drank, and a very bold dark wine, you'd have what we made. We had to take shots of it, idk how we did it. I still have some, and it looks like it's eating through the water bottle.
                          - Finn's Saga

Comment

I have a soft spot for Datura in general, and while I would love to keep one of my own... it's probably not the best idea with a little fur baby in the house. They sure are pretty to look at though. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                              I have a soft spot for Datura in general, and while I would love to keep one of my own... it's probably not the best idea with a little fur baby in the house. They sure are pretty to look at though. ^^
                              They are beautiful - I grew a variety with huge, velvety black trumpets. Right now, I've got a 8 year old Brugmansia (Tree Datura) that drops giant salmon-colored trumpets (cats don't bother it).

UNBELEIVABLE smell when it flowers. Wonderful!

Comment

Working...
                              X