Brew your own Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brew your own Alcohol

Warning, this post will contain materials subjugated by the American government, not to be viewed by anyone under the age of 21. Unless you aren't from here, or you don't care, because I sure never did.
    Hail,
    Have you, or someone you know ever brewed your own alcohol. I know alcohol is a wide term, but anything from wine, beer, ale, mead, or straight up liquor. Share your stories, and give your fellow folks some motivation. It's quite fun to do.

My friend and I tried making wine twice. We got a big gallon jug, added all the proper ingredients and such (we used VERY dark grapes) and let it sit for about 3 months. Well, apparently we did something wrong.. Or very right. The wine came out as a very thick strong liquor. I braved a taste, and oh man, was some of the strongest alcoholic beverage I've had, and I've had multiple bottles of absinthe to myself. Needless to say, we end up taking shots of it.

What are your stories? If you don't have any, here's a good article on how to brew your own from easy steps.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Brew your own Alcohol

I haven't done it myself, a lot of people back in Slovenia do it though (there are a lot of farms where our town is located). Mead is a biggie, a friend of ours gave us homemade blueberry brandy for our wedding gift which was surprisingly good. I keep thinking when we get settled again I'll have to go force one of those farmers to teach me how to make real mead.

Comment

I'm hoping to begin mead making this month, I've found a simple low tech method and can't wait.

It seems that most of the best luxury mead comes from Poland as well as eastern/ Central Europe where traditional techniques have endured.

Sadly the Lindisfarne Mead sold is white wine flavoured with honey. 😕

Comment

I had a friend that was a beer fiend as in he made his own,and collected beer bottles and cans from all over. His beer was a dark beer like Guinness,and I know he knew what he was doing because that beer was the best. He was also a walking encyclopedia about all things beer,history of the beer making craft....this all before "Craft beer" was a thing.

Lost touch a few years ago,and really kinda miss his beer...
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've made wine, but never been very happy with the wine I made, although it was drinkable.

I've made mead, both wine-mead and foaming beer-mead, as well as melomels, metheglin, and sack.

But mostly I make beer! It's easy to learn, doesn't take long to ferment and/or age, and is about as good as much of the "craft brew" I can buy.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Pulse View Post
            I'm hoping to begin mead making this month, I've found a simple low tech method and can't wait.

It seems that most of the best luxury mead comes from Poland as well as eastern/ Central Europe where traditional techniques have endured.

Sadly the Lindisfarne Mead sold is white wine flavoured with honey. ��
            I'm not sure what a "luxury mead" is, but some really fine mead comes from Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Vinita, Oklahoma.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
            Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
            X