So It Happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So It Happened

I don't think I've actually met a Jehova's Witness. Only thing we really have is a random group (either Amish or Memnonite) that comes onto campus and sings and passes out little bibles and pamphlets.

Comment

Its unlikely that group is either Amish or Mennonite, those groups don't proselytize as a rule

Comment

Originally posted by Akaichou View Post
        I don't think I've actually met a Jehova's Witness. Only thing we really have is a random group (either Amish or Memnonite) that comes onto campus and sings and passes out little bibles and pamphlets.
        What makes you think they are Amish or Mennonite? (As gelman said, they don't normally do that)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Who's a Jehovah's witness, anyway?
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Usually I am able to offer hospitality to anyone who comes to the door. I figure they could use some water at least. A couple of times I have not been well, and simply stated this fact. I don't lie or pretend -- can't see the point of it -- but I don't see the point of being mean either.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Do you mean what's a Jehovah Witness Gleb? They are essentially a Christian group described as millenarian (means they believe the end of world-- also known as the second coming of Christ-- is eminent), and restorationist, meaning they seek to restore Christianity to imitate the early church. They are also Unitarian which mean they reject the trinity, as is the usual Christian belief. The started in the US sometime in 1880s, They are also pacifists and refuse to take part in military service or any secular political activities such as voting largely because they believe secular society to be under the influence of Satan. They don't observe ordinary Christian holidays such as Easter and Christmas because they consider them to pagan holidays--which they are actually right about of course.

I've known a few, family members who have converted and I did know few who were born into it. They are very tightly controlled which is just too scary for me

Comment

Originally posted by gelman66 View Post
                Do you mean what's a Jehovah Witness Gleb? They are essentially a Christian group described as millenarian (means they believe the end of world-- also known as the second coming of Christ-- is eminent), and restorationist, meaning they seek to restore Christianity to imitate the early church. They are also Unitarian which mean they reject the trinity, as is the usual Christian belief. The started in the US sometime in 1880s, They are also pacifists and refuse to take part in military service or any secular political activities such as voting largely because they believe secular society to be under the influence of Satan. They don't observe ordinary Christian holidays such as Easter and Christmas because they consider them to pagan holidays--which they are actually right about of course.

I've known a few, family members who have converted and I did know few who were born into it. They are very tightly controlled which is just too scary for me
                Oh ok.. Thanks.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  What makes you think they are Amish or Mennonite? (As gelman said, they don't normally do that)
                  Because they had the clothing, hairstyle and everything. They didn't actually go inside the campus they were outside singing. I always that it was slightly strange because you're right, they don't really do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Akaichou View Post
                    Because they had the clothing, hairstyle and everything. They didn't actually go inside the campus they were outside singing. I always that it was slightly strange because you're right, they don't really do that.
                    Plain clothes isn't necessairly a sign of being Amish or Mennonite--there are a number of Plain dressing independent, non-denominational (often fundamentalist and/or evangelical) Christian congregations that wear Plain dress. I didn't realize this til I had considered homeschooling a few years ago, and spent some time at homeschooling confrences.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

There used to be a lot of Mormons would come onto my campus at uni. Some had taught themselves Mandarin (although limited in terms of linguistic range, the Mormon language programs are considered to be amongst the best there are in terms of time to effective output ratio), and would enrage my British born Chinese friend who spoke only English and who's family spoke Cantonese anyway, by constantly making a bee-line for her. So maybe these people were Mormons? Sounds like similar behaviour anyway.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I met a couple of Mormons about a year ago. Thought I'd had a chat with them since I couldn't avoid. Pretty competent guys language-wise, at least until they thought my name was "Brush" in Finnish.
                        And a lot of my relatives are Jehova's Witnesses. (At least that kept the doorknockers away.) But they're all quite worldly. Or at least they don't care if I don't get saved at the armageddon.
                        baah.

Comment

I met a couple of Mormons about a year ago. Thought I'd had a chat with them since I couldn't avoid. Pretty competent guys language-wise, at least until they thought my name was "Brush" in Finnish.
                          Misunderstandings like that are going happen no matter how a person learns. The stories I could tell! I heard though, that the Mormon language program is very intensive, focused and immersive, so they usually learn in a relatively short time period. I'd love to know their secret.
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            Misunderstandings like that are going happen no matter how a person learns. The stories I could tell! I heard though, that the Mormon language program is very intensive, focused and immersive, so they usually learn in a relatively short time period. I'd love to know their secret.
                            Yep, they do. (For people like me misunderstandings happen on daily basis. )
                            But yes, it would be interesting to know how they do it. Or not. I'd probably convert at some hazy moment.
                            baah.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              Plain clothes isn't necessairly a sign of being Amish or Mennonite--there are a number of Plain dressing independent, non-denominational (often fundamentalist and/or evangelical) Christian congregations that wear Plain dress. I didn't realize this til I had considered homeschooling a few years ago, and spent some time at homeschooling confrences.
                              Ah, see I didn't know that. Thank you for telling me.

Comment

A pair of JW showed up at my door over the weekend while I was busy painting a room in my house. I was sweaty, covered in paint (since I'm rather clumsy at times and tend to forget I have a brush in my hand) and wearing s shirt I had ripped the sleeves off a long time ago. Without the sleeves, it allowed for my two tattoos to show, and the shirt has a little devil's head and reads "Satan Loves You, But I'm Still His Favorite". Both women were rather attractive, and I was polite to them as they lept into their talk. All I said was "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude and I didn't mean to interrupt you, but I'm just not interested, and I didn't want to wast either of our times." They smiled and said that it was fine, and thanked me for being up front, and they went their merry way.

Going back at least 40 years, a JW had shown up at my grandmother's house. My grandmother, who was the soul of class and politeness, said "I would like to tell you that I am happy with my faith and I would not ever consider converting, but if you would still like to come in and have a cup of tea, I would love the company." Every week the JW would come by, they would have tea, chat, and then part. This went on for 30 or so years, and the woman we only knew as "Mrs. Greene" was one of the first to arrive and the last to leave at my grandmother's wake, doing everything and anything she could for the family.

Comment

Working...
                                X