Mexican Cookbook Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexican Cookbook Recommendations?

Can anyone point me towards some decent Mexican cookbooks, ones that are more traditional/authentic than modern fusion? Especially if they have good pastry/bread recipes?

If they're written in espanol, that's ok, too - I have translator monkeys at my disposal.

All the ones I've been picking up lately are like, Mexi-Asian or Mexi-talian or like the Food Network Bobby Flay type Tex-Mex stuff.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Re: Mexican Cookbook Recommendations?

Hmm...I'll have to take a dig through my stuff. Several of my favorite recipes aren't classic Mexican, but the 50's American-Mexican stuff. It was the way my grandma made it, though, so it feels like home to me. Williams-Sonoma cookbooks tend to be a little on the expensive side, but tend to focus on authentic classics, traditionally made. Mexico the Beautiful, too. It's designed to look more at home on a coffee table, and so I photo-copy pages from my books in this series, rather then goop them up, but if I remember right, recipes are all requested from local government.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I can usually find the Williams-Sonoma ethnic cookbooks on sale for incredibly cheap at B. Dalton's, but I've always avoided them because they look too slick to be authentic or good, lol.

I added Mexico the Beautiful to my wish list, though. Thanks!
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Not sure about books ... But you might ask Medusa for some of her mums recipes ... Can't get better than right from the source ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I'm not sure if it's what your looking for but one of my favorites to use is Weight Watchers cook book Simply Buueno! I have used it for years. Don't let the Weight Watchers part turn you off as their cook books are very good. I like to cook and have over 50 different cook books of all types. I have paired them down to about 20 that I keep in the kitchen. Most just happen to be theirs because there that good. Even my kids don't complain about me using them.
          No my names not Florine.
          Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
          X