Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Potter Plot Discussion #1

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Well, here I am again. Many years after sitting at every midnight release, clutching at my first edition first prints with pride, and love. I have always been such a huge fan of the Harry Potter series. In my opinion, it is the best series to come out in the last century, though some might disagree, J.K Rowling did start a wave of books alike her own writings.
    I have begun reading them again, as I periodically do, and as every time I open the covers of some of the most prized books in my collections, I come along with questions.
    So, with all that being said, and hopefully with many Harry Potter fans amongst our ranks, here is my first discussion piece relating to this book that I hope people will jump onto with as much enthusiasm as I do.

If Harry Potter was born a girl, and had the looks of Lily, and the eyes of James, would Severus Snapes attitude have changed, possibly to that of protection, of love, or more so, of a newly appointed father figure?

This is a tricky question of course, my own opinion has two sides. One goes as is, that Harley (or whatever the name be) would have still been considered by Snape to be the bi-product of the man he hated and he women he loved, causing anger and jealousy at every bend and turn. That side of me thinks he would never get over the fact that she was born by the hands of James, his long hated rival at school, and thus, Gender would not change the fact.
    But the other part of me debates that because Harry looked so much like his father, Snape only saw the man he hated starring back. If Harry was Harley, Snape might be so overwhelmed with emotions of seeing his old childhood crush, that he could not help himself but love her as a daughter, and protect over her, give her special treatment, and become a father figure. This is made apparent by Snapes death, when he asks Harry to look him in the eyes, with his mothers green eyes, for Snapes last wish. So the last thing he would see were the eyes of the women he loved.

It's a hard question, but what are your thoughts? If you haven't read the Harry Potter series, please do not derail this thread.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Harry Potter Plot Discussion #1

Yet did Snape really hate Harry?

If you go by just the first book then I suppose so yet now that the entire series is finished and we know the result his apparent dislike borders more on protection by distance than hate. Given the very first book has Harry's life endangered right off the bat and that danger surfaces immediately upon his entry into Hogwort's. Then figure in Dumbledor appears to have always believed that Voldemort was still alive and would return and that Snape then had to continue playing his role.

I personally think had Harry been born a girl her life would be even more of a disaster. Where Harry reminds Snape of James a daughter would forever remind him everyday of his loss of Lilly. Now only would he be reminded but would know he could never be with her, not even in a protector role. She would still be as far removed from Snape as Lilly was removed by death even though she had a daughter. Talk about the unattainable jewel that is forever hung before your eyes and the pain that would cause.

Sorry been to long since I read the books so can't recall specifics. But imagine this, in the movie we are introduced to Draco on the stairs of the school yet in the book that encounter takes place on the train. If Harry were to have been born a girl in order to have the protagonist and antagonist pairing then Draco would also have to have been born a girl. Which to me would further corrupt the story line as one of Draco's major failure's is not being the son that was desired by his father Lucius.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Re: Harry Potter Plot Discussion #1

I really wish I had more to add to this but Monsno has pretty much covered it.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
      X