anxiety over belongings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: anxiety over belongings

My only illness seems to be books. But I loves them so .... my precious....

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Mr Penry and myself live in a house filled with clutter. Every so often we have to have a bit of a sort through, but nothing drastic. We like it that way.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I think my biggest problem with the stuff is that I have trouble cleaning around all of it. I have a fairly nasty dust allergy, so I have to clean a lot, but it takes me HOURS to clean the flat and I just don't have time. I can't help but think that clear surfaces would fix the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Haha darn! I'm the opposite of you. I don't have another gaming system, but I never used it anymore. We hooked a computer up to our TV and suddenly, we never use any gaming, DVD, or other video devices. We'll probably even cut the cable by the end of the year...the contracts here don't let you cut them until your one-year period is up, even if you passed the minimum time limit. I've had cable for 5 years, but I can only quit my contract between October and December each year (crazy).
          JP's PC used to run through our TV in the livingroom. They were happy times! We spent hours just watching various series on youtube. I developed my yogscast obsession during that time. He got himself a monitor (and some other new parts to make it run better), with his redundancy money though, and moved into the study. I then had to set up a desk in the corner of our bedroom. It worked out quite well though, because JP can be as untidy as he wants in the study (I counted 6 empty coke cans and 2 empty wine bottles when I was in there earlier). I try not to even think about the junk that's in there. ^^

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          This is personal, but meh. We all know I have Bi Polar. And I need, demand a relatively clutter free environment to feel calm. Everything must be off the floor for me to sleep. I feel anxious if things are out of place. Not like crazy out of place, but I just like clutter free. I have two caddies I put all my stuff on. I don't like seeing it. So I made a curtain for them! Hid it all away.
          So yeah. I hate stuff.
          This can be related to bi-polar? That explains a lot!

I think another factor for us is that we don't have a garage, garden shed or loft to shove things in. I'm sure those who live a minimalist life just store most of their stuff out of sight in the loft. If we ever move, I'll definitely look for a place that has some kind of storage space where we can pack away some of our books into.

I sorted out JP's DVD cupboard today. This is the size of a regular door, and fairly deep, but the space between the shelves is much more than the height of a DVD, so there is a lot of unused space. Storing the DVD's sideways would be better use of space, and probably free up at least a whole shelf, that could be used for storing something else, like maybe cups and glasses. JP insists on having them stored upright though. I've at least made it look a bit tidier in there.

When I was at uni, I used to stack books and CD's in colour order, because I thought it looked nicer. I've done this with the small bookcase in the livingroom too. Maybe I'll go around and do this to all of the books in the flat eventually.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            This can be related to bi-polar? That explains a lot!

Its pretty common with anxiety issues too.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Living on a boat means we have to be quite strict with ourselves for dumping stuff and not hoarding.
              Even clothing, If its not been worn for a month, (season depending) then its not needed to take up valuable space.

Books used to take up way too much space but now thanks to the Kindle thats another big space saver.
              DvD's are taken out of their boxes and all filed in DvD wallets.

Kids toys however.......I keep threatening them with a Toy Cull but it never seems to happen.

Comment

I have the same issue with clutter. I hate it... wait... LOATHE it.

I suspect a good part of my urge to purge the clutter on a regular (monthly) basis is because my mother is a hoarder and always has been, having a tendency of leaving only "walking trails" around the house which were a max of 18 inches wide and covering every other bare (clean) space (including walls, floor, tabletops, counters, tv stands, etc..). Another reason is probably my frequent moving of residences, and everything you bring with you tends to have to be packed up, paid to ship, and unpacked (which has become more hassle than its worth).

If I ever find a forever home (as dogs would say), that need may change.

Comment

You all sound so tidy - or at least, you would like to be tidy! I doubt many of you would enjoy living with 27 sad irons and a couple of shoe lasts on the floor of the upstairs toilet!
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by geoff View Post
                    Kids toys however.......I keep threatening them with a Toy Cull but it never seems to happen.

lol, we had to do this a few years ago for a cross country move...and now they are pretty good at doing it themselves. We donate the toys in good condition to one of the local charity thrift stores so "other kids can enjoy it".
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I can sympathize with those of you who feel anxious around clutter..Only in my case, I had to move in with my adult son and his roommate 4 years ago from another part of the state I live in..Couldn't afford a storage building to put my and my daughter's household belongings in, so it's all stacked up in my son's living room in one corner all the way to the ceiling..it's a horrible looking sight believe me, I have anxiety anyway and this just compounds it..I just try not to go in the living room any more than I have to! (And understandably none of us spends much time "living" in that room either.)At least it is all in boxes and totes, there's a 10 speed bike and a mattress there but I have no furniture, that would be way too much to bear. and BTW, the roommate moved out 3 years ago..wonder why......

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        Its pretty common with anxiety issues too.
                        My anxiety is like whack-a-mole. As soon as I work on one area, my mind finds something else to worry about. I've got so many daily affirmations, visualisations, and mindfulness exercises to get through these days, that I'm starting to find it overwhelming to the point that the therapy is becoming a cause of anxiety itself. I don't just need a chill pill, I need a chill injection, or maybe a chill implant.

Originally posted by geoff View Post
                        DvD's are taken out of their boxes and all filed in DvD wallets.
                        I used to do this before I met JP. I started doing it when I moved to Japan because it was less to carry, and then I just thought it seemed sensible. I much preferred to have a nice folder of DVDs or CDs to flick through. JP likes to be able to see his collection spanning out in front of him though, so he'd never let me do this. Like I said, I'm not even allowed to store them horizontally.

I've thought about getting rid of my books but these aren't just novels (I actually don't read much fiction). Most of my books are textbooks of one kind or another and every one either has sentimental value or is a reference book I like to dip into from time to time. It's all things that I need to hold in my hand and smell the pages of as I flick though leisurely while sat with a cup of tea at the dining table. Throwing them all away and filling a kindle with these books wouldn't feel the same.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        lol, we had to do this a few years ago for a cross country move...and now they are pretty good at doing it themselves. We donate the toys in good condition to one of the local charity thrift stores so "other kids can enjoy it".
                        I always think your kids seem so well-adjusted whenever you mention them. If I ever have kids, I'll be coming to you for tips for sure.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          I always think your kids seem so well-adjusted whenever you mention them. If I ever have kids, I'll be coming to you for tips for sure.
                          Thanks! I think that's mostly because I try not to complain about them, lol...they have good PR. Don't get me wrong, its a shit ton of work, and sometimes I go crazy as a parent (like this morning trying to get ready to leave the house by 6 am because traffic is awful right now)...

But at the end of the day, I think when parents remember to let their kids know they love them in word and deed, rather than with stuff that they tend to feel pretty secure. And I think secure people tend to be well-adjusted. Phee is a worrier and a perfectionist and Sharkbait is superactive and has some personality quirks, but over all, we make it a point to let them know that we are a "family-team" and our jobs as parents is help them get through life (not to do the work for them, but as guidance and backup). Seriously, Scotty and I have a whole "family-team" philosophy we've created. I could be on Oprah if I were motivated, lol . It seems to be working...but they *are* only 6 and 8, the jury is still out.

And...speaking of cluttered...I'm about to go in their room and test markers in the craft bins, lol. They aren't very good at organizing. Their idea of "clean their room" is to pile all the toys on the shelf and in the bins that fit under the bed, rather than actually putting the correct toy and toy paraphernalia in bin together (the bins used to be labeled, but I gave up). This drives me coo coo.

I've tried to combat this by changing the idea of "cleaning their room"--we do "wrap-ups" (and sing a modified version of the son from MLP) before bedtime:
                          1) Dishes wrap-up--pick up all the escaped dishes that may have been left about and put them in the sink
                          2) Trash wrap-up--it could be soda containers (the Hubby), coloring pages (Phee), sticks and other outdoor bits (Hubby), and yarn (me)
                          3) Book wrap-up--put all the books on the shelf
                          4) Laundry wrap-up--find all the clothes that may not have made it to the laundry, plus jammies, towels, etc
                          5) Toy wrap-up...and usually, we do it one toy type at a time...legos, then army guys, then arts and crafts, etc...usually whatever is the worst first.
                          6) Ya know, whatever comes next...I'm sure we all get the idea, lol

"Winter Wrap-up"
                          Last edited by thalassa; 29 May 2015, 08:15.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X