This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Labelling My Beliefs

Most Evangelical Protestants like Baptist and the various flavours of Pentecostals stick strictly to sola fides idea. So much so that their charitable activities in the community are focused strictly on "winning souls". In other words only those accept our belief system are worthy of our charity. I find this to be very arrogant attitude not fitting to the Christian faith at all. At least Catholics, Anglicans, UCC and liberal protestants don't go this far (for the most part) which is a little closer to the Christian ideal, for me at least.

For me, helping is charity freely given with "no strings attached", helping the "least among us" and helping those who aren't Christian or whatever.

Comment

Re: Labelling My Beliefs

Originally posted by gelman66 View Post
      But in order to get into any kind of depth with religion or mysticism you need to follow a tradition.

I kind of disagree with this. It is true that most spiritual and mystical stuff exists in context of religious traditions, but I don't think you really need to fit in one to be influenced by it. At least if you're going to practise solitary, that is. If you're looking for religious community to practise with, then signing into a tradition might be necessary.

I haven't personally have had religion or tradition in some 5-8 years, and I feel the only thing I have missed is possiblity to practise with other peoples. Other than that, I can do and learn about everything I could in context of tradition. Tradition might be a good kickstart to discover ones spirituality, but I don't think it's necessary.

I think there is no need to sign into religious tradition to practise elements of it, or to appreciate what is good in it and be inpsired and influenced by it. For example, I love writings of Christian saints, and I can pray their prayers etc. but that doesn't mean I'm Catholic or Eastern orthodox. I'm more like a religious parasite, feeding on their tradition to build my own spirituality

Comment

Working...
      X