Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Other Pathway Has Always Interested You

Hail,
    I know I cannot be the only one who has had an interest in learning about other pathways. I classify myself as a Traditional Heathen, but I have friends far and wide who are apart of differing beliefs.
    Now this does not mean I have any inclination to convert, I am quite content with my beliefs, but after speaking with Gleb some months ago, I became highly fascinated with the Kemetic belief system. He gave me a great overlay, which I researched well after our discussion ended.
    I also had a friend who followed a type of self proclaimed Hindu-Voodooism/chaos magick system who enthralled me with stories of his Gods. He worshiped Shiva as his main Goddess, and I never knew Hinduism could get so dark. The tales of her are thrilling, but I would never convert into Hinduism.
    What other pathways have interested you? As well, people who belong to these different pathways, feel free to explain more in depth to those people who are interested. I would love to learn more about the darker stories of Hinduism if anyone has time to share with me (Thorbjorn)
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: What Other Pathway Has Always Interested You
    I think the darker side of Hinduism might encompass some aspects of Tantra, and even darker, the aghori. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aghori# That's about as far off the beaten path as you can get.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
      I think the darker side of Hinduism might encompass some aspects of Tantra, and even darker, the aghori. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aghori# That's about as far off the beaten path as you can get.
      Now that is a great read. I went and googled around a bit, they were some serious practinoeers. Thanks for that
      - Finn's Saga

Comment

It's been a long and interesting journey for me, bouncing around this way and that though each and every time I always came back to Northern Tradition and my runes. I'd have to say the ones that garnered the most attention from me were the Celtic Tuatha De Dannan and the Aboriginal Dreaming concept.

Comment

I've flirted with Druidry over the years (hubby is Druid), but I'm just not interested in the Celtic deities at all. TBH, I'm eclectic, so It doesnt matter. If there's something useable from another tradition, I'll adapt it to mine. I dont't really nitpick. But, I've looked into most main traditions.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I was really into Buddhism before I got into Paganism (I had my pagan moments even then though). Those five years still haunt me occasionally though I don't regret it either.

And then I've had some flashes of interest in almost every religion out there, with or without an intent to convert. I actually tried to find a "valid path" (aka a book religion with a set of rules I could sheepishly follow) instead of Paganism but then I gave up - and here I am.
            baah.

Comment

I think Buddhism interested me. If I wasn't called to Egyptian Wicca I would have been a Buddhist.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

The other two "paths" I read up on a lot outside of my own are Celtic and the Faerie faith. It's not really surprising though, since there are a lot of crossovers between the Slavic and Celtic roots.

Comment

What does Faerie entail?
                  And Thalassa, have you adopted anything from Heathenism?
                  - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                    What does Faerie entail?
                    The parts that I'm interested in (and as far as I understand, are some -if not most or all- of the main points of the Faerie faith) are the connection with trees, herbs, the lunar cycle and the Faerie folk.

Comment

I'm quite interested in Celtic and Mayan paganism... I always wondered what Mayan paganism was about..
                      Norse_Angel - I'm honored.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Now that is a great read. I went and googled around a bit, they were some serious practinoeers. Thanks for that
                        You are welcome. As you can see, they are generally looked down upon by other Hindus. But their belief is, as one of the Sanskrit mahavakyas (great sayings) goes, sarvam khalvidam brahma, "all is God".
                        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Sumbels!

(I had a Heathen roomie for 2 years)
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

There has always been a stirring fascination for Yezidi faith and practice inside of me for years. Also, Esoteric Taoism.
                            There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it. - John Coughlin

Comment

Well honestly I've developed a love hate relationship with chaos magic. At some moments i am awed by the brilliance of Spare, Carroll, and Hine. Other times I am disgusted and call shenanigans on their whole line of thinking. It seems I came to some conclusions that were similar to theirs, but took them in a rather different direction. Where they seem to have developed a form of Thelemite, Satanist, Nihlist, Absurdist, Darwinian, Discordian, Taoist, Shaminism chop suey I instead took it and made a form of Druidic Thelemite, Wiccan, Taoist, Hindu, Transcendentalist, Anarchist, Darwinian Catholicism. That last part probably isn't the most accurate description of my convictions, but I hope it illustrates what I'm saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X