X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife finds out husband is a troll

Divorce worthy?

sauce
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Wife finds out husband is a troll

For some, yes; for some, no. I'd be in the yes camp.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      Divorce worthy?

sauce
      Huh... Interesting...

There is the myth of a "true self," the idea that, under certain conditions (for instance, when drunk) a person's "true self" comes out. It is a myth, though, and it requires that one disregard the majority of a person's life and look only at a tiny part.

People really have no "true self." People have different selfs they use in different circumstances. "Over the internet" is one of the circumstances where people seem to have problems.

Being honest, I have to admit that I have said, and probobly in the future will say, things that I would never say to a person face-to-face. I bet most honest people who use the internet will admit that.

Now, with that being said, what this guy is doing goes beyond the "over-the-internet" effect.

What I find troubling is that he refuses to see - when confronted with it - that what he is doing is harmful. He also refuses to see a councillor when his wife requests it.

Those two things do raise red flags for me. The first because he denies reality in favor of his own interests, the second because he shows a lack of respect and understanding for his wife.

Divorce? I dunno because we're only shown a bit of their life together, but that counciling he won't do would be good.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

From this bit of information? Oh yeah. I wouldn't trust someone who fails to see that what they are doing hurts others to have a moral compas... who knows whether the internet keeps being enough of an outlet?... also he's just plain disrespectful to his wife.. for me it would be a reason to get the hell out of there.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Playful teasing of people on the internet is one thing. Trolling people is another entirely.
          "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

When I first read the title, my immediate reaction was something like this:

The door bangs open, and a woman looks up from the book she was reading, trying hard to relax from a rough day at work. The bang is followed by the sound of splintering wood and breaking glass.

"Honey, is that you?"

At that point, her husband comes around the corner and ...

Now, while that would make a MUCH more interesting story, to my disappointment I discovered that that was not the case. The internet is a dark, scary, and treacherous place, where the lure of anonymity and the ability to forge yourself into whatever you so wish to become is a temptation that most, at least on some small level, tend to give in to. While these little lies range anywhere from the common and undamaging (saying you live in a different state to help stay anonymous, or that you're eyes are green instead of blue) to the more elaborate and potentially harmful (posing as a woman when you're a man, claiming to be single when you're married), it has reached a point where such things are an every day occurrence. From posting on forums, to adding pictures to facebook, to roleplaying in MMOs, each and every time we do these things we are attempting to portray a persona that may or may not be accurate as to who we are.

But, the problem with this and using the excuse of "oh, it's only playing a role, it's not really who I am" or in this case "I'm just doing it to blow off steam and I don't see these people as real" is that it is, in fact, who you are. In order to say vile things, or pretend to act a certain way convincingly, we have to be able to tap into that very aspect of ourselves in order to perform. If a man logs into forums with the sole purpose of spreading hate and bigotry and violence, chances are that there is a bit of truth behind his words in how he views the world. Just like if a man or woman logs into an MMO, dresses in the most revealing outfit available in the game, then flirts with, attempts to engage in cybersex with, , attempts to entice as many other players as possible, that individual most likely has such desires to do so in his or her own "real" life. We can only act in a way in which we are familiar, albeit only vaguely, in some cases.

Like Corbin had said and admitted, yes, I have said things online that I most likely would not have said to someone's face, and chances are I will do it again. Though, I have to say, what I had said pales drastically in comparison to the examples of this man. He not only has gone out of his way to attack and provoke people, but also is refusing to see that there may be a problem and to consider how it is affecting his life and family.

Comment

I was kinda hoping he was a shape shifting two headed troll too.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I was hoping she had married a big ugly mythical creature too... it would have been better... ^^
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Comment

All in all,I do not understand humans much because WE do such strange stuff. I imagined trolls as knuckle dragging people with a chip on their shoulder,who only communicate online,because real people would scare them shi*less...But it seems it is more complex than I imagined.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

When I read the title I thought this was about those otherkins...
                    baah.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      All in all,I do not understand humans much because WE do such strange stuff. I imagined trolls as knuckle dragging people with a chip on their shoulder,who only communicate online,because real people would scare them shi*less...But it seems it is more complex than I imagined.
                      Much more complex, I'm afraid. I used to date a guy I know takes pleasure from trolling now. Very intelligent ingeneering student, lots of friends, ladies man, looks like a f* underwear model (you know, sixpack and cheekbones so sharp you could cut yourself)... he just also has a nasty side.
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I showed this to JP. He says that website is notoriously full of poorly researched, reaction-enticing, sensationalist posts that are designed to milk internet users for their clicks so someone can make those internet dollars...

That said, if this story is true (and lets face it, even if this was embellished or entirely fabricated, someone somewhere will have faced this scenario for sure), then in her shoes, I would be be seeking psychological help for my partner before I considered divorce. I'd tell him how disgusting his behaviour is, that it is clouding my ability to love him, and that I don't think we could go back to what we had until he got help for whatever it was that made him get off on the pain of others. I'm not married, but I know what promises are made when people marry and I think anything less than that would be breaking my side of the marriage deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        Do you see this guy too?

I totally see every troll like that guy, and for some reason anyone who is overly secretive online, despite that actually being very sensible behavour. You know the kind, maybe not so common here, but they won't even tell you what country they're from. I guess because I wear my heart on my sleeve, anyone who doesn't makes me suspicious (which is weird, because the English are generally quite private).
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I can admit I do "troll" on Facebook and other social media sites. But never to a mean extent, where I could actually hurt someone's feelings.
                          I can also admit that I do not act as seriously as I do on this forum as I do in real life.
                          I think people do have different sides of them, one being behind the screen where censorship is not necessary, the other, face to face encounters where you put up an act or wall of sorts
                          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I don't troll.
                            So my future wife can feel safe about that.

- - - Updated - - -

I dunno if divorce is worthy here, Thal. It greatly depends on the couple.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I think trolls are terrible people. They are cowards and you can't prevent them from being on the internet, but they're damned assholes. She needs to divorce him. He's not worth her time.
                              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                              X