X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your creation story?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    Its not about divine revelation, its about creativity in extended metaphors!
    ... Eh? :$
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Stardust View Post
      I personally believe that God, or the "Supreme Divine" made the Big Bang and after that everything just took off on it's own. Stars, planets, life, etc.
      The Big Bang most likely isn't the beginning of the entire Cosmos. But it is indeed the beginning of our ''pocket Universe''.

I do think the Big Bang was a natural event. It is God's body that is growing and expanding.

So here's my creation story:

''According to Hartshorne, panentheism can best be understood through an analogy: just as a single organism exists both as a collection of semiautonomous, individual cells and as an autonomous individual who is more than jut a collection of cells, God can be seen as both a collection of all the constituent parts of reality and as "something more" than the universe itself. Although we, along with the rest of existence, can be thought of as part of God's "body," God's mind or consciousness extends beyond that body and causes God to be more than just a collection of parts.''

Source: http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQ...eism_panen.htm
      Last edited by Wonder; 27 Jun 2015, 12:23.

Comment

Ultimately, regardless of whatever we come up with (religious, scientific, or otherwise) we cannot know the exact nature or origin of the universe, and so it is, in my opinion, something which I don't really concern myself with. If I come close to believing in any form of 'creation', it presents itself as a part of an infinite cycle, but I don't really believe anything in a dogmatic sense, nor does it really play an active role in my spiritual practice.

Comment

There is (I think) some theories that say that the Big Bang that created our universe has not been the only Big Bang that ever happened. Indeed some scientists claim that before our Big Bang, there was an universe that, because of it's own gravity and vacuum due to it's constant expansion, got crushed under it's own monstrous gravitational field (what they call the Big Crunch or something like that). I believe some of my Gods to be older than our Big Bang.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I noticed that multiple people mentioned the big bang.
            FYI: Big bangism is a big academic fraud, which rests upon three major false assumptions (regarding the characteristics of Einstein's universe model, the cause of the red shift, and the cause of the microwave background radiation) and a major fudge factor (inflation). The purpose of big bangism is to make astrophysics compatible with judeo-christian religion, and in fact big bangism was spearheaded by a catholic priest (Georges LeMaitre) and a devout quaker (Arthur Eddington). You can learn more by googling the phrase "cosmology statement", which leads to an informative petition. There are many astrophysicists and others who are justifiably very annoyed by the big bang fraud, who have signed that petition.

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
              I noticed that multiple people mentioned the big bang.
              FYI: Big bangism is a big academic fraud, which rests upon three major false assumptions (regarding the characteristics of Einstein's universe model, the cause of the red shift, and the cause of the microwave background radiation) and a major fudge factor (inflation). The purpose of big bangism is to make astrophysics compatible with judeo-christian religion, and in fact big bangism was spearheaded by a catholic priest (Georges LeMaitre) and a devout quaker (Arthur Eddington). You can learn more by googling the phrase "cosmology statement", which leads to an informative petition. There are many astrophysicists and others who are justifiably very annoyed by the big bang fraud, who have signed that petition.

I'd like peer-reviewed articles evidencing this please.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory...

Fight The Man, my hippy bros & sistas!
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

*Finds a spot around the camp fire, pops open a lukewarm can of beer and leans in to listen to the conspiracy stories.*

The big bang theory whoed the what now? I did indeed look into and it was an open letter published in the New Scientist. I don't see it as in any way indicating that the big bang theory is definitely wrong, but rather suggesting that it is simply one theory and we shouldn't be ruling out other theories that may explain it better without the need of theoretical phenomena such as dark matter;

Allocating funding to investigations into the big bang's validity, and its alternatives, would allow the scientific process to determine our most accurate model of the history of the universe.
                  I agree with the sentiment. We shouldn't take something as absolute truth when there are so many holes that can only be patched up with theoretical (astro) physics. That doesn't mean I'm ready to jump on the band-wagon and start spouting that the big bang theory is rubbish though (the sitcom however... but that's just my opinion).

I think the evidence for the big bang it is pretty compelling, Prof. Brian Cox more or less has me sold on it, but I'm willing to keep an open mind if someone would put forward a credible counter-theory that can be backed up with anything even distantly resembling science (and trust me, I'm easily pleased with a magnet and a bowl of cornflakes). Until then, I shall keep my mind slightly ajar.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    I agree with the sentiment. We shouldn't take something as absolute truth when there are so many holes that can only be patched up with theoretical (astro) physics. That doesn't mean I'm ready to jump on the band-wagon and start spouting that the big bang theory is rubbish though (the sitcom however... but that's just my opinion).

I think the evidence for the big bang it is pretty compelling, Prof. Brian Cox more or less has me sold on it, but I'm willing to keep an open mind if someone would put forward a credible counter-theory that can be backed up with anything even distantly resembling science (and trust me, I'm easily pleased with a magnet and a bowl of cornflakes). Until then, I shall keep my mind slightly ajar.

Actually, this has been going on for the past several decades. The BB thry was pretty contentious for quite a while.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory...

Fight The Man, my hippy bros & sistas!
                      I am with this guy,cause he makes sense,but more than that he has some really good smoke....
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There are competing theories, it is probobly true that more resources are spent on the most popular and that others need better funding (ain't this always true? Look at the Dino-Revolution, for example), but to attribute this to a "Judeo-Christian" scam is going overboard.

It's more (IMHO) about the allocation of resources and the mistaken belief that research in "pure science" is non-profitable.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

And this explains everything "I think,therefore I am" or "I am that I am"
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            but to attribute this to a "Judeo-Christian" scam is going overboard.
                            Particularly when there are a great many Judeo-Christian groups that take great issue with it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              Particularly when there are a great many Judeo-Christian groups that take great issue with it.
                              Well yeah but a lot of them don't acknowledge Catholics as Christian either so it's not like a Catholic conspiracy will see any need to involve them. If ya know, anyone could provide evidence that Catholic scientist = fraud. Though if we want to play the game of "science proposed or supported by Catholic priests is automatically suspect" then I'm gonna have all kinds of fun when I get on a computer and pull up the list of cleric/scientists.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
                                Big bangism ... rests upon three major false assumptions ... and a major fudge factor (inflation).
                                Make that two major fudge factors. I forgot about 'dark energy'.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                                Brian Cox. I know of him. He's the guy who said "it's naive to say that there's no god". Of course, he's not talking about pagan gods, but the all-powerful abrahamic creator god. That is his underlying motive, like LeMaitre and Eddington before him.

The general alternative to a big bang is that the universe is infinite in size and duration, and is neither expanding nor contracting. An infinite universe model must explain three things: the cause of the red shift, the cause of the background microwave radiation, and a way of re-creating hydrogen. In the big bang model, all of the hydrogen is created out of the primordial photon burst (from proton/anti-proton pairs), and gets gradually burned up by stars over billions of years. But in an infinite universe model, there must be a way that large amounts of new hydrogen is created.

I will explain those three things now:

Photons lose energy (and thus frequency) not only due to the doppler shift (as in the big bang model), but also due to the surrounding gravitating matter (which they impart energy to) and the transparent gases, electrons, and protons that they pass through (which they impart energy to). Those transparent particles accumulate energy from those stellar photons that pass through them, as well as from gamma rays and x-rays that are emitted from other cosmic sources, and they gradually shed that energy as microwave radiation, hence the background microwave radiation.

New hydrogen can be created by gamma rays- photons that have enough energy to spawn proton/anti-proton pairs. The anti-protons gradually decay into electrons, and combine with the protons to form hydrogen. There are in fact plenty of gamma rays that are created in the universe- by gamma ray bursts, 'soft gamma repeaters', and sources of steady gamma ray emission. All of such gamma rays are created by black holes (some of them being the super-massive black holes of active galactic nuclei), and neutron stars that contain a singularity at their core. Such objects have enough gravity and pressure to convert some of their matter into pure energy, in the form of gamma rays.
                                Last edited by Lydia; 17 Jul 2015, 18:22. Reason: formatting

Comment

Working...
                                X