Favourite sports...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite sports...

Not just any old sports though. Here they take on a tribal quality... (ask anyone who thinks there is such a thing as a friendly football match between Cardiff City and Millwall.)
    And this is where I don't quite get American football. I mean, all that body armour...

In rugby, it's not uncommon to have players on the pitch streaming blood, teeth knocked out, and on at least one memorable occasion, playing with a dislocated shoulder.

So... any stories about sport violence or bravery you would like to share here? I'm fascinated hearing about different sports!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Favourite sports...

I did horse back riding for 8 years. At a competition I had to borrow a briddle because another girl had ridden my horse (school horse, shared) and I didn't have time to change it... I usually used one that's less hard on the mouth... I wasn't used to that one... so about 30 seconds in to the routine she ran amok, she was pretty mean to begin with. I fell off, broke my arm clean (heard it snap. That's nasty) and endured for about an hour before I told my parents that I heard it break within half a year she broke two more arm and a leg. Tough sport ^^
    I've also practiced fencing for a while. I had bruises all over all the time one point for a hit that would draw blood anywhere on the body (pressure censors at the tip of the rapier), two points below the knee. The thrill of getting in a clean blow makes up for the bruises
    I never cared much for team sports. Probably not the stories you were looking for
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
      I did horse back riding for 8 years. At a competition I had to borrow a briddle because another girl had ridden my horse (school horse, shared) and I didn't have time to change it... I usually used one that's less hard on the mouth... I wasn't used to that one... so about 30 seconds in to the routine she ran amok, she was pretty mean to begin with. I fell off, broke my arm clean (heard it snap. That's nasty) and endured for about an hour before I told my parents that I heard it break within half a year she broke two more arm and a leg. Tough sport ^^
      I've also practiced fencing for a while. I had bruises all over all the time one point for a hit that would draw blood anywhere on the body (pressure censors at the tip of the rapier), two points below the knee. The thrill of getting in a clean blow makes up for the bruises
      I never cared much for team sports. Probably not the stories you were looking for
      No, they absolutely are, Iris! This is what I wanted... stories about ourselves (and others of course) and how sports are often far tougher and more dangerous than they look! Thank you for sharing!

Comment

I have a confession to make. My fave sport in the whole world is curling. it's the most intense sport I've ever seen. It's my fave Olympic Event. And especially Norway and their amazing groovy 70s outfits.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          I have a confession to make. My fave sport in the whole world is curling. it's the most intense sport I've ever seen. It's my fave Olympic Event. And especially Norway and their amazing groovy 70s outfits.

I've never been a team player, I have to admit. When I played cricket (don't laugh!) I always used to field right out in the deeps so I could watch the birds and make daisy chains...
          This did not impress our games teacher. Her favourite saying was, 'Better to die on the hockey field than in your beds.'
          And the way some of my friends played, it was quite a real possibility.

Comment

I like to swim a lot. I like watching college football. I live in a college town so it is fun watching football when it is season.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Horse racing. One of the most dangerous and underrated jobs is that of Assistant Starter - those people you see buzzing around the starting gate, loading in the horses, closing the gates in front, standing on little steps inside the gate as the horse & jockey break out. One inch out of place and they lose a finger or worse.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

In college and a little bit after, I had done fencing as well. It used to be a regular thing for the coach to say "If you don't hurt in the morning, you did something wrong". Due to the nature of the blades used, they are designed to bend and give when you strike so that the risk of injury is greatly reduced, though it is not uncommon for the blades to break, after all the stress and such on the metal. There have been numerous incidents of a broken blade (since oftentimes when they do break the end becomes sharp and jagged) continuing on it's path and puncturing through the protective gear to enter the body, causing death due to punctured lungs, hearts, or rupturing an artery.

During on particularly intense bout I had, my blade had snapped and found it's way sliding up under my opponent's neck guard to prick him in the throat. Luckily, we were both able to react quickly enough so that the only damage done was a small cut and a little blood. I've also taken a broken blade myself to the chest, bleeding pretty badly though it wasn't deep.

Comment

I've never broken a blade, though I did hear stories of those accident. But we were around 12-16 years old, so we may not all have had the strength to break a blade, I didn't, I won most fights by agility - forcing my opponent behind the line. The worst injuries I ever had were big bruises on my legsand a sprained wrist. One of my classmates in highschool fenced, he had had his neck cut, just missing aorta... the PE (is that what it's called?) Teachers wouldn't let us introduce the others to fencing... we both had pretty poor grades in that class, football (soccer) and volley just isn't as much fun.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                    I've never broken a blade, though I did hear stories of those accident. But we were around 12-16 years old, so we may not all have had the strength to break a blade, I didn't, I won most fights by agility - forcing my opponent behind the line. The worst injuries I ever had were big bruises on my legsand a sprained wrist. One of my classmates in highschool fenced, he had had his neck cut, just missing aorta... the PE (is that what it's called?) Teachers wouldn't let us introduce the others to fencing... we both had pretty poor grades in that class, football (soccer) and volley just isn't as much fun.
                    It was definitely my sport of choice, though I did play soccer for a while in high school, as well. Yeah yeah, I know, all you crazies across the pond calling it football, but that is pretty funny because it was YOU guys that called it "soccer" first! (Association Football, shortened to "assoc" and from there to "soccer") Years and years ago, on ESPN they used to have a show on in the wee hours of the morning called "UK Cavalcade of Sports" and would show all sorts of great stuff, like hurley and caber tossing. I would set my alarm when I knew it was going to be on just so I could watch it. Ya know, back in the day when there was no DVR and it took two college degrees to program a VCR to record.

Comment

I'm not really into sports as a thing to watch, but I'll play just about anything. Usually poorly, though I play some awesome drunk sand volleyball.
                      A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                        It was definitely my sport of choice, though I did play soccer for a while in high school, as well. Yeah yeah, I know, all you crazies across the pond calling it football, but that is pretty funny because it was YOU guys that called it "soccer" first! (Association Football, shortened to "assoc" and from there to "soccer") Years and years ago, on ESPN they used to have a show on in the wee hours of the morning called "UK Cavalcade of Sports" and would show all sorts of great stuff, like hurley and caber tossing. I would set my alarm when I knew it was going to be on just so I could watch it. Ya know, back in the day when there was no DVR and it took two college degrees to program a VCR to record.
                        Have you ever heard this song then? Not sure if you'll get through the Scottish accents:

JAMES CURRAN
                        Football Crazy Lyrics

I have a favourite brother
                        And his Christian name is Paul.
                        He's lately joined a football club
                        For he's mad about football.
                        He's got two black eyes already
                        And teeth lost from his gob,
                        Since Paul became a member of
                        That terrible football club.

(Chorus)
                        For he's football crazy,
                        He's football mad,
                        The football it has taken away
                        The little bit o' sense he had,
                        And it would take a dozen servants
                        To wash his clothes and scrub,
                        Since Paul became a member of
                        That terrible football club.

In the middle of the field, one afternoon,
                        The captain says, "Now Paul,
                        Would you kindly take this place-kick
                        Since you're mad about football?"
                        So he took forty paces backwards,
                        Shot off from the mark.
                        The ball went sailing over the bar
                        And landed in New York.

(Chorus)

His wife, she says she'll leave him
                        If Paulie doesn't keep
                        Away from football kicking
                        At night-time in his sleep.
                        He calls out 'Pass, McGinty!"
                        And other things so droll
                        Last night he kicked her out of bed
                        And swore it was a goal!

(Chorus)

Lyrics from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net" rel="nofollow">eLyrics.net</a>

Comment

I've not heard that song before, though I just did give it a listen and it cracked me out. The accent's not a problem so much as the use of some of the slang from time to time. I've got a large collection of music from traditional to folk to pop from various parts of the UK, so I've gotten pretty good at "interpreting".

Comment

I swam. I've misjudged many a flipturn and conked my shins black and blue or shredded my feet on the concrete of the pool.

The kiddos do gymnastics--Sharkbait isn't at a point where he gets hurt much, but Phee has split the beam and ripped the crap out of her hands (both requirements for being "a real gymnast")
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I've never been into Football (Soccer for our US cousins) just cant stand the theatricals involved.
                              Rugby Union is more to my tastes. The six nations is set to record on Sky every year for those matches I dont get to see live. I try and keep myself away from all forms of media to avoid hearing the result.

The annual match between the Army & Navy at Twickenham is a fantastic event which I well recomend if you can get tickets. Beer is a bit pricey though.

Cricket is my next love, waiting patiently for the Ashes to start this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X