Favorite Horror Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Horror Movie

What are your top three favorite Horror movies. This could include classics.

My list is as follows

1. Evil Dead, every single movie out of the series.
    2. The Crazies, absolutely great Zombie Apocolypse Movie
    3. Grave Encounters, in my opinion, best paranormal film out there.

Feel free to recommend some, and discuss differing movies that you want to see, or have seen recently watched.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Favorite Horror Movie

Lately I've been watching some crazy movies on Netflix, but for horror a few leap out that I specifically looked up. Interestingly enough, they're ALL Scandinavian films, and as far as I know, they are all up there.

1. Thale
    2. Let The Right One In
    3. Dead Snow (and it's sequel Red Vs. Dead)

Coming in at the end is a super close 4th, Trollhunter. All four of them are excellent, but in extremely different ways. Dead Snow and Red Vs. Dead are quite entertaining, adding a large amount of comedy that really makes it great. Let The Right One In is rather tragic, and many people have told me they found it to be slow, but I just couldn't tear myself away. It's so darkly beautiful. Thale is the shortest of them all, but just as engrossing as LTROI. In fact, I was disappointed that it ended, because I just wanted to see more! As for Trollhunter, it's a fun romp and uses the hand-held camera/lost film style.

Also, there's the Russian movie Devil's Pass which was rather good as well.

Comment

The wicker Man. The original, director's cut with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward. Pure magic!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Oh man. This is right up my alley. First, because I grew up in the age of real horror movies AT the drive in. Also I worked in a video store for 8 years. And I love zombies. This was a toughie.

1. Day of the Dead. This movie holds great memories for me. It was my first toe into zombie movies that scared the living daylights out of me. My mom took me and my best friend to see this for my birthday. My 14 birthday. I can remember the day, the theater and the popcorn I threw up all over the seats. This movie has always caused me distress. And I still have nightmares to this day based around some concepts of the movie. First, this was one of the first horror movies that was set in DAYLIGHT! No monsters like daylight! Daylight is safe! And now you've gone and effed my safety net all up! Second, the concept of never being safe. And the concept of the dead coming back to life. My father had passed away 3 years earlier. And suffice it to say, I had many years of not getting over that. This movie terrified me. And of course that meant only one thing to a girl that always goes toward the things that she fears..I fell in love with zombie.

2. Nightmare on Elm Street. I have an issue with insomnia and bad nightmares. Severe. Like trying to kill myself in my dreams. Come to find I'm awake and choking myself. It got so bad I had to be sent to a shrink when I was a child. And I learned lucid dreaming. I often have dreams of Freddy. And every dang year when they play his movies on channel 5 and I see a glimpse of his face or hear those claws..I will have a nightmare. In my nightmare he comes for me. But since I lucid dream, and since apparently I'm an asshole in my dreams..I send my friends to their deaths while I float into the ceiling where no one can get me. I remember when the third one came out, my brother and I rented all 3 and had a movie marathon at home while my mom was out. I fell asleep ON the kitchen counter because I couldn't go into my room. I had forgotten to put sheets on the bed and was freaked out. The kitchen seemed the safest place to sleep.

This could explain my love of Wolverine.

3. Now this is a recent one. The Babadook. It's psychologically terrifying. Because I get the underlying story it was trying to tell. How a mother deals with the death of her husband and how she harbors secret hate for her child. Even when it's subconscious. She loves her kid. But he's effed up from the death of his father. And the hate is eventually let in to tear them apart. It's horrifying because of my background. I remember once thinking my mother didn't love me. After my father died she went out every night with her friends. Met new men. Left me at home alone to handle my grief. I confronted her years later. And she said 'I couldn't look at you. All I saw was your father'. And I knew how grief could tear a family apart.

So there you go. Long winded because insomnia for the win!

Oh dang it. The Exorcist. I was like 7 and Catholic. My parents took me to see this at the drive in. I dunno. To scare me into being more Catholic I guess?

Guess what? I fell in love with the concept of the Devil right then and there. Oopsie. To this day Captain Howdy scares the living daylights out of me. Though as a kid I distinctly remember playing Regan by spinning myself around under the bed sheets. Good times.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

1. Silent Hill. I just love this movie. I can watch it over and over again.
          2. The Mangler. It's based on one of Stephen King's stories and is a really good movie in my opinion.
          3. The Human Centipede 1 & 2. Very interesting movies.
          4. Poltergeist. I love the original.
          5. The Conjuring. This is a really great movie too.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I totally forgot about the Babadook! It was brilliant!

Comment

Jaws, 12 Days of Terror, Megalodon.

You may be seeing a pattern there.

Comment

I've never been able to stay awake through a horror movie.
                A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

The Haunting (1963 original)
                  First saw it as a teen and loved every minute. Its all suggestion, noises and camera angles that just spooks you out every time. So much more frightening than the blood an guts type films which are more about shock tactics.

Shaun of the Dead. Probably the best comedy/horror ever.

Another set of films I discovered as a boy of 10 were the Hammer Films prodctions of :-
                  Dracula, Dracula Prince of Darkness & Dracula has risen from the grave.

The Day of the Triffids (1962) and The Village of the Damned (1960)....guess I just love those old flicks

Comment

The house of the devil. It's a really awesome film shot in the early 2010's but flawlessly made to look like it was from the 80's. No cheap scares or shocks, just awesome.

Honorable mentions would be Trick R Treat, any of the old Universal Monster movies, and if you like humor Bubba Ho Tep

Comment

My top three...

1. John Carpenter's "The Thing": This movie gave me nightmares for twelve years when I watched it in 1983. I couldn't watch it again - ever. The dog scene was just horrific to me at the time. Then, about seven years ago, it came on pay TV and I thought, "oh yeah, this is bound to be super cheesy nowadays" - so I watched it. And had nightmares for another seven years...

2. Aliens: Not so much of a true horror film as a sci-fi horror - the gore and amazing animatronics of the Aliens was outstanding. Something that I think is lacking in today's horror flicks - REAL moving parts and not CGI.

3. The Resurrected: A very B movie from the early '90's. Not so great anymore, but at the time it was pretty amazing.

Comment

There is an awesome documentary on the making of The Thing. I found it on youtube. It's super cool. And yeah, that's up there with me.

Comment

I have to add this here. If anyone has the chance to watch Babadook, it is officially one of my favorites. Such a great movie. One of the only horror movies rated higher than 95% on rotten tomato. Here's a trailer. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=szaLnKNWC-U
                          - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                            I have to add this here. If anyone has the chance to watch Babadook, it is officially one of my favorites. Such a great movie. One of the only horror movies rated higher than 95% on rotten tomato. Here's a trailer. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=szaLnKNWC-U
                            I second this. I saw it on a whim and bored one day. It had me both terrified and emotionally wrecked at the same time. Such a great movie.

Comment

I needed a good one for awhile, it seems every other movie is extremely redundant, almost cloning themselves from the last best thing.

They actually came out with the Babadook book from the movie. Cheapest copy I found is in the $100s. Extreme want.
                              - Finn's Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X