Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Edibles

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Spent it in the field for two days teaching new search and rescue recruits. It was great though. As an aside, I taught them about what to eat and drink in our forests, and made them labrador and spruce tip tea when we got back to camp that night (I was foraging while they were doing their exercise)

We drank from the forest on the solstice.

I miss labrador tea....
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Midsummer / Litha Greetings!

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    I miss labrador tea....
    Noted. Wanna do a trade? Sassafras for labrador tea? I can go forage some and dry it and then mail it to you

Mostly art.

Comment

Noted. Wanna do a trade? Sassafras for labrador tea? I can go forage some and dry it and then mail it to you

Oooooohhhh! Heck yeah!

Do you have fireweed up there too? Supposedly we have it here, but I'm thinking its probably in the mountains, because I've never seen it...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Oooooohhhh! Heck yeah!

Do you have fireweed up there too? Supposedly we have it here, but I'm thinking its probably in the mountains, because I've never seen it...
        Yes, but I don't know how to preserve it. Do you need the flowers or the shoots? The flowers havent bloomed yet. We also have wild roses.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yes, but I don't know how to preserve it. Do you need the flowers or the shoots? The flowers havent bloomed yet. We also have wild roses.
          You just dry the leaves. You can infuse the flowers too though...I've never tried it dried flowers, but fresh is pretty good.

ooooh....fireweed recipes: http://www.uaf.edu/files/ces/publica.../FNH-00106.pdf
          Fireweed is a pioneer. Its tiny seeds ride the wind like parachutes and begin new life where fate carries them. Even in clear-cuts, roadsides and burns, fireweed plants itself and rises up – stately, steadfast and strong. It rarely stands solo. Fireweed builds a thriving plant community through spreading seeds and lateral root networks. In […]
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X