Daily Routines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Routines

This vaguely ties in with our How Do You Have it All thread. We all have hectic lifestyles. Some are balancing work with raising kids, some work freelance and have to manage their own time, some are holding down multiple jobs, and others like me, work nightshift. I'm not so good at multitasking, so for me routine is vital for avoiding stress. Of course, with the constant flipping between nocturnal and diurnal life, rigid hour by hour routines aren't possible. Instead, I have little 'rituals' that help me to make it from one task to the next, and give me a sense of stability and order in my life.

So I'd like to invite you, if you can find the time ^^, to describe a typical day (or two if there is more than one 'typical' day for you). From getting up, to hitting the hay, how do you fit it all in? Are there any little rituals you stick to, like getting the packed lunches done the night before, vacuuming while the dinner is cooking, never working for more than 45 minutes without a short break, taking a bubble bath before bed.. You can include daily rituals of a more spiritual nature too if you like. Lets show one another how we make it all work!

I'll come back and add mine later (writing longer posts during down time at work is, in fact, one of the ways I free up more time in the evenings!).
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Daily Routines

There are so many versions of this.

When not working, and not motivated:
    0700: alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
    0730: alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
    0800: alarm goes off. Dog wakes up and licks my face. Cat starts meowing. I get up.
    0805: feed animals.
    0806-1200: internet/breakfast/nothing
    1200-1800: feel bad about wasting day
    1800-2200: do productive things to make up for it
    2200-0100: go to bed at some point

Not working, productive day:
    0700: alarm goes off. Press snooze.
    0715: alarm goes off. Cat meows, dog licks me, I get up.
    0720: feed animals, and myself.
    0730: shower.
    0730-0900: gym.
    0900-1800: do productive things.
    1800: dinnerish
    1900-2200: do more productive things.
    2300: sleep.

Will update if I get a job.

Mostly art.

Comment

Cause I am "Retired" nothing at all laid down as to routine,my day kinda goes like this.

"A day in the life" by the Beatles

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Wake at six and spend nearly an hour working out how to actually get out of bed without collapsing in a heap. This involves a lot of stretching, trying to click pelvis into place (which hurts a LOT) dealing with severe cramp, then when I do actually get out of bed I have to do normal things.. but also skin care. Due the meds I take my skin splits and breaks easily and will not heal. Take meds.
        Everything has to be done in strict order with the meds, otherwise they don't work properly ( I know, I've tried!).
        Due to other meds I take, I will not stop bleeding easily.
        By now the bassett hounds have begun singing. The song of the Lonely Bassett is the usual, though sometimes we are treated to 'come and feed us.'

Downstairs for breakfast. Greet my three dogs who are over the moon to see us.
        Simple breakfast - Little Aud, one of the Bassett's is trying to chew a hole in my trousers. Only a blob of butter stops her.
        Homer, the eldest Bassett, is trying to chew the rungs of the chairs. Nothing stops him.
        Noah just wants to shove his head in my plate, and nothing stops him either.

In the morning I do some writing. I allow several days a week for this, and on the other days I write in the evening. I have to eat my second meal by about 4pm, otherwise I stop breathing in my sleep. Not pleasant. And that means I only get two meals a day. Why I'm not thin, I'll never know!

Life for me is a constant juggling act between meds (up to about 40+ per day now), lack of energy, pain, writing, recording videos, trying to live something of a normal life, and more pain.

My tip - do what you can and not what you can't. If you feel you can do something then go for it. If you planned to do something but find you can't then don't worry. It'll wait.

I've learned above all to pick my battles. Oh - and another tip - get off the internet or computer at least an hour before bedtime. It makes sleeping so much easier!
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Or to be really honest...more like this..

Helter skelter.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

7:30 AM- Wake up and take my meds
            7:40 AM- Go back to bed
            10:00 AM- Eat breakfast
            10:15 AM- Go on the internet.
            1:00 PM- Lunch
            6:30 PM- Supper
            7:30 PM- More meds
            1:00 AM- Get off the internet and go to bed.
            "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              Cause I am "Retired" nothing at all laid down as to routine,my day kinda goes like this.

"A day in the life" by the Beatles

https://youtu.be/53Dh-I0_m5Y
              My dad recently retired, but he's quite insistent on having something like a routine still. Like, he gets up at 8am Monday to Friday, and sleeps later on weekends. He has set days for grocery shopping, housework, laundry and so on. At the moment, he's caring for my gran who has dementia though, in shifts with my uncle, so this also takes up a chunk of his day.

I don't think I really thought this through when I posted the thread. I've sat down now to write it and realised just how much there is. I'll give it a go though.

Work Night
              I usually wake naturally between 5 or 6pm, but I have an alarm set for 6 just in case.
              I lie in bed and do my daily flashcard reviews on anki on my phone. This usually takes around 20 minutes.
              As soon as I get up, I open the blackout curtains and open the windows.
              I then feed Dolly, drink a glass of water, do the dishes if it's my turn and then go in the shower. JP usually gets home from work by this point.
              As I pass the kettle on my way back to the bedroom, I whack it on, then I get dressed for work, but I wear a skirt instead of my jeans (tmi but I go commando in the flat because it's good for my lady parts ^^). I close the windows now if it's cold. Otherwise, JP does this before he goes to bed.
              I then either make breakfast, or some nights I'll make dinner and eat together with JP. I either plait or blow dry my hair while dinner is cooking, or before I have my breakfast. I also make my packed lunch for work.
              If it's not a dinner night, and if I didn't sleep-in, this will usually be complete by around 7pm. The PC then goes on and I check my study schedule to see what activity I need to do (write on lang-8, bully someone to skype with me or make a video journal: evenings are usually for 'free practice'). If I'm really lucky, I'll even actually do that activity. :/
              If it's Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday, JP and I do a light workout together (yeah.. after I've showered ^^) in which case I'll make dinner later, otherwise I just spend longer studying/procrastinating on PF/watching crappy yogscast videos.
              I do my make up, put on my jeans and brush my teeth at 9:20.
              I leave for work at 9:40pm. I walk to work and always call my mum on my way to make sure she's all right and let her know I'm alive. Dolly always runs to the window so she can watch me walk along the street!

While at work, because I have set jobs to do, and everyone is usually asleep, there are always quiet times. I use these times to read Japanese textbooks or practice reading and writing kanji. I study most new Japanese while at work. I also do ironing for some of our residents and I'll watch lectures by 'nihongo no mori' on youtube while I do this. Like this one
              I also do my 'mother's milk' ritual, and a mirror exercise that's meant to help ease BDD while at work.

I leave work at 8am. I do my walking mindfulness meditation on the way home.
              JP is in the shower when I arrive home and Dolly will be waiting on the windowsill for me.
              I go into the bedroom and open the windows and switch on my PC.
              JP tends to just leave clothes, dishes, empty cans and suchlike lying around, so I'll quickly tidy the living room, and kitchen, change Dolly's litter tray and clean the kitchen floor.
              Once JP is out of the shower, I get washed and ready for bed. I wipe the bathroom down with JP's used towel because he won't do it and it will just get mouldy if I don't.
              I then close the windows, close the blackout curtains and put on a pair of orange-tinted sunglasses that filter out blue light.
              I open youtube and play my 'before bed wind-down' playlist. This is a 30 minute video of relaxing music, followed by a 10 minute count down, then a 3 minute instrumental Enya track, ending in a hypnosis recording.
              I lay out my clothes for the evening, gather my eye-mask and earplugs and get into bed.
              The first 10-15 minutes of the first video are spent doing light yoga stretches in bed, and then filling out my positive thinking workbook. I write down what I did to enhance key areas of my life.. spirituality, study, health and romance.
              I then do Japanese speaking drills where I practice basic grammatical structures using my big book of verbs to generate verbs that I then build a sentence around (controlled practice). When the countdown track starts, I switch to my 'shadowing workbook' where I shadow Japanese dialogues. Both of the above are to improve the physical act of speaking Japanese, and apparently motor skills are best improved if you do 30-40 minutes of repetitive practice before bed.
              When the Enya track starts, I put lavender oil on my pillow and repeat 3 affirmations from a flashcard. Then I pop on my eye mask and earplugs, and relax as the hypnosis recording starts, just loud enough that I can hear it.

My days off are less rigid, but the transition between is a bit complicated so I'll leave that for now.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Hmmm...school year mornings get more hectic, but so far it goes like this (since hubby is still out of town)

0455: Alarm goes off, get out of bed and take thyroid meds (since have to be on an empty stomach)
                0500: Feed cats and start smoothie
                0505: Shower
                0520: Wake up Chickadee to get dressed, turn off smoothie, pour it into a nalgene bottle and pack it, along with my lunch, in my bag for work
                0525: Throw on clothes and wake up Sharkbait
                0530: Wake up Sharkbait
                0535: Threaten Sharkbait with loss of video game time if he doesn't get out of bed, and help him get dressed
                0540: Give Sharkbait meds, take the rest of my meds
                0545: Nag the kids to get their shoes on telling them that we have 10 minutes to get out the door if they don't want to make me late for work
                0555: Leave the house
                0600: Drop of kids at the babysitter
                0620: Walk into my office
                0630-1500: alternate between procrastinating from doing work and actually doing work...it depends on the day (somewhere between 11 and 1 I take my 30 minute lunch)
                1510: pick up the kids from the baby sitter

On Friday mornings, if the kids have been good all week, this all starts 15 minutes earlier so we can pick them up donuts---Friday is donut day for the kids

...here's where it gets dicey

On Wed and Friday, we have gymnastics days--we do chores, get an early first light dinner/snack and go to gymnastics, then come home and have a late second light dinner/snack, Sharkbait gets his meds (its on a timer for 0615), the kids shower while I get everything laid out for the next day, and then we do story time and they go to bed (usually around 0700-0730), I take my meds, do the dishes, and fhen muck around on the internet, read a book, blog, watch TV, etc, and then I take my pm meds and go to bed around 0900 or 0930.

On Monday and some Thursdays we go straight to the beach or the (indoor) pool (weather dependent), then come home and have dinner, shower, and do all that other stuff.

On Tuesday we either go to the park or to Chic-fil-a's play place and then come home, blah blah blah

On any of those days, we might decide to stay home and veg in front of the TV...on those days, Sharkbait plays legos and I make Phee practice gymnastics before she either draws or

On the weekend, we go to the Farmers Market on Sat morning. After that, we usually go to the big wave beach or to the arboretum til lunch time, then we go home, shower and veg. After the beach or whatever, I usually go to the grocery store and pick up groceries--I leave the kids at home and let them play video games unsupervised for the hour it takes to do this, otherwise I'd spend twice as much for half as much in twice the time and half the sanity...occasionally I get my groceries online (like if I don't feel good, etc) and only have to pick them up from the store, but the store brand selection tends to be not as good and I end up spending more. On the weekends, the kids usually get to play with their friends @ their houses. This is when I do laundry (I am lucky enough to have a friend that doesn't work or have kids (she's a full time student and military wife) that comes and cleans for me once a week (on Thurs or Fri usually) for a very reasonable price that I had to talk her into taking). Sundays are usually experiment in the kitchen days, and science days...and if we get up early enough before it gets hot, we go play tennis.

When Hubby is home, I have more time to myself...like having time to meditate or do yoga or go outside without children....but for now this has been my schedule (except it was worse because the kids were still in school and we had to make lunches and do homework and study for tests and...)
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Maan... I need a reasonably priced military wife to come clean for me. Where do I get one? ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    Maan... I need a reasonably priced military wife to come clean for me. Where do I get one? ^^
                    Man, I need a reasonably priced military wife.

Mostly art.

Comment

For most of my adult life, when I worked for companies (as opposed to myself):

Up at 5:30, coffee, shower, dress, feed bird(s) while listening to traffic report and deciding which route will be best to get to work. Leave around 6:30, get into the office around 7, eat lunch at desk, leave around 5. Stop at post office to check for mail at the P.O. box, go home, clean bird cage(s) while dinner's cooking or reheating, make a lunch for the next day, watch a bit of tv, in bed by 9:30.

Weekends: Up around 7, off to the laundromat & grocery store, then cook several meals to reheat during the week or freeze for another time. Clean the ap't. Sometimes go out to a movie or whatnot. Usually too mentally worn out to enjoy much.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Hehe.

0600 Get up, throw on clothes, wake up daughter (18 mo) change her diaper, throw clothes on her.
                        0606-0609 Leave house.
                        0620 Arrive at friends house, watch her kids. (Aka job #1)
                        0745 Wake up kids if they haven't woke up already, give them snack, herd them out the door.
                        O800 drop off the youngest
                        0815 Arrive at home, put mine down for a nap, generally take a nap myself.
                        1000/1030 (depending on whether the husband works a late shift or not decides who drops Nova off at the sitter) get up and go to work.
                        1100-1930 Work. Lunch is at 1300 or 1330. Second break is usually around 1600.
                        1945 Arrive at home.
                        2000 Some small chore, putting away laundry, etc.
                        2030-2200 Chill, net time, read, whatever.
                        2200/2300 go to sleep, depending on the night.
                        Occasionally still have to get up in the middle of the night with the little one.

Saturday morning at 915 is toddler gymnastics.
                        Sunday at noon is church.
                        Every third Sunday is a Cuups meeting from 2-4.
                        Every first and third Monday is a spirituality class from 1830-2000 that I try to take off for.
                        Full moon ritual is on the day of the full moon. 1830-2000. Again provided I can get the time off.

And I'm hoping to land a part time job as the religious education director at my church. 20 hrs a week, wherever I can put it. Well barring that I have to be present at the events we hold and for Sunday religious ed.

Eta I shower during morning nap time every second to third day as necessary.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Routines... I wish I had one. Right now I'm just lazing around but when I'm back to the uni it goes like that:

0600 - waking up, stumbling like a zombie around the flat, brushing my teeth, shoving all the pills down my throat (making extremely stupid faces at the smelly ones), making breakfast, whatever it is as I usually grow bored with breakfasts pretty soon
                          0700 - probably some instant coffee/tea and hanging on the internet
                          0900 - off to the uni, they're quite merciful to start the morning classes usually at 10 am.
                          1700 - coming home, eating something, more internet. Probably even a short walk. A random whim of studying may occur.
                          2200 - going to sleep, finding some guided imagery on Youtube, smearing my hands with cream so they won't get too crackly, putting on those white mickey mouse gloves I always throw off when I'm sleeping...

Weekends: sleeping longer, no classes at the uni, but otherwise it's the same. I might clean up a bit or do the grocery shoppings for the next week though.

Such a useful thread actually, I never realised my life was so dull. I need more discipline!
                          baah.

Comment

I don't really have a totally set routine (as in, I don't do things at specific hours most times). I follow a loose pattern, though.

I get up between 7 and 9 am, depending on how tired I am and what season it is (I can never get up before dawn in the winter). I'm a morning person, but not an early morning person.

I then read or take a walk for an hour or two.

I start work roughly around 10 am. For the rest of the day, I switch between working, exercising, lunch, housework, wasting time on the Internet (I'm getting better at not doing this), and practicing my music. I aim to finish work at 6 pm, but I usually wrap up around 7 pm or 8 pm. I'll work late if I have a lot to do, but I try to not make it a habit.

After work, I make dinner some days (I usually make enough for 2-3 days, so I do not need to spend huge chunks of my evening cooking). I then practice music (if I didn't get to it in the day), work on my gaelic, sew, crochet, or do something else like that. This is also when I watch TV, which I usually do while I do crafts. Around 10 pm, I call my boyfriend on Skype. We talk for an hour or so, and then I go to bed and read for a bit.

I generally do not work weekends. However, I make exceptions on Saturdays if need be. I will work for about half of today, because my work has been slow recently and I recently returned to a full workload and want to make up the difference in income. Exceptions on Sundays are much more rare. Like most Germans (both religious and non-religious), I treat Sundays like a holy day of rest and relaxation. It must be very important for me to break that one.

Comment

My routine is a little more flexible depending on the station I'm working that day and if I'm working both jobs. If I'm just working dinner I prefer to get up at least 2 hours before work. If I'm working the second job it's an hour before.

Walk the dogs/feed.
                              Coffee/tea
                              Head to work, I normall get to work an hour before my shift starts and yes work for free. If I'm floating or in pastry I'm 15 mind early.
                              After service clean up, go home, walk dogs and feed them. Make dinner and clean the house.( I am probably doing this around midnight or 1 am)
                              Bath/shower
                              Internet/read
                              Bed.

* Omw to work I normally listen to Circle of Women. If I'm stressed at work I talk to my Goddess and God. I also sing.
                              * I follow an exact routine of setting my station and prepping for service.
                              * I say a prayer every night before bed. I cannot fall asleep at night if I don't say it.
                              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                              X