Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling the gods

Hello everyone,
    I have a question to all those who worship the Norse gods. How do you communicate with them? Is it through dreams, signs, signals?
    Is it also possible to communicate with them in more than one way?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Feeling the gods

Hi Gleb,

I usually communicate to my deities through dreams, meditation, and prayers. And yes, I think there are usually more than one way to communicate with them.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Thanks, Anubisa. With me it's through dreams. I wonder if it's the same with other pantheons.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

For the most part, dreams are the way in which I've had contact as well. Every once in a while there will be things I've taken as signs in the physical world, such as sightings of more of a certain type of animal than usual or clouds in the same of runes (yeah, that's a pretty cool one).

While it's not directly attached to the gods themselves, when I use bindrunes and rune charms I tend to get this total draining feeling and a bit of a headache. I have always associated that with the amount of energy poured into the runes themselves, leaving me a but shaky.

I think dreams are probably the easiest way for the divine to reach out to us, since in an unconcious state our barriers of disbelief or doubt are broken down and we are the most receptive. I think that we're all brought up in today's modern society to have a resistance to acceptance of those things that we can't see, touch, hear, smell, measure, etc and it bleeds over into the most spiritual and devout of us without us realizing. In sleep, those walls come down and we are able to be exposed to all sorts of experiences that we may simply brush off during our waking.
        Last edited by Munin-Hugin; 30 Jun 2015, 05:41.

Comment

Thanks for your input, Munin.
          Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post

I think dreams are probably the easiest way for the divine to reach out to us, since in an unconcious state our barriers of disbelief or doubt are broken down and we are the most receptive. I think that we're all brought up in today's modern society to have a resistance to acceptance of those things that we can't see, touch, hear, smell, measure, etc and it bleeds over into the most spiritual and devout of us without us realizing. In sleep, those walls come down and we are able to be exposed to all sorts of experiences that we may simply brush off during our waking.
          Interesting theory. I haven't thought about it this way.

Comment

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

As silly as this sounds, I just heard the call. It was faint at first, and grew stronger and it wasn't until much later that I understood who was calling.

Comment

Thank you both, Thorbjorn and Teletzia.
                Sometimes I ask the gods for a sign and something happens after a period of time and gives me the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  I think dreams are probably the easiest way for the divine to reach out to us, since in an unconscious state our barriers of disbelief or doubt are broken down and we are the most receptive.
                  Means of communication are certainly adaptable. In Afro-American religion, communication by divine possession is standard. In Africa it happens, but divine guidance is normally sought through divination. But learning a divination system like Ifa takes years, and so the method was obviously impossible to keep up under slavery. Evidently the Gods stepped up the use of possession to compensate.

Comment

My clearest communications are via trance and journeying, but I also get mental 'images' sometimes during normal waking consciousness. Then there is what I call the 'ping'... that's a buzzing feeling in my crown chakra or a sudden intense feeling of 'pay attention... it's not words or direct images but it's a feeling directly from my gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      My clearest communications are via trance and journeying, but I also get mental 'images' sometimes during normal waking consciousness. Then there is what I call the 'ping'... that's a buzzing feeling in my crown chakra or a sudden intense feeling of 'pay attention... it's not words or direct images but it's a feeling directly from my gods.
                      Thanks, Raeya!

Comment

Meditation, dreams, signs, prayer and divination.

Comment

This one may sound strange, but it works for me:

When I need advice, I ask my deities, go pour a bath, have a couple candles for light, relax and let images come to me...it combines the free, open mindspace of dreaming with the ability to remember/assess the images consciously.

The bath, aside from being super relaxing, also reminds me of the womb/primal waters and seems to help me get into the frame of mind where contact can occur.

Hope that may be helpful

Comment

Thoughts, actions but I also feel sometimes that I want to do more to connect with the Gods and this is part of my search and learning.

Comment

Taken into attention.. Now I have some new ideas of how to connect them.

Comment

Working...
                              X