Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My home province is on fire....

Hey everyone,

Due to the drought conditions and higher than average heat levels in British Columbia, there are wildfires spreading all over the province. Several are burning in Vancouver Island where I grew up. So far, my hometown is safe from fire, but people in places like Port Hardy are being evacuated from their homes. In Vancouver and most of Vancouver Island, the air quality levels are deemed "unsafe" due to all of the smoke. We've never seen anything like this, and all I can do is watch from horror from halfway across the world as the forests that I love burn.

Here are a few articles on the issue:
    With a blanket of smoke threatening the health of infants and seniors around B.C.'s south coast, it's worth considering going to the mall for a breath of fresh air.

The hazy, apocalyptic sky above much of the south coast of British Columbia may not necessarily be the new normal, but an expert says the province can expect more intense wildfires in the future due to climate change.

On an evening where fires were seemingly raging all over British Columbia, it was near Pemberton were damage was the greatest.

Several new wildfires and a few old ones have caused local authorities to issue evacuation orders and states of emergency in several B.C. communities.

And here is the latest fire info:
    The BC Wildfire Service employs approximately 1,600 seasonal personnel each year, including firefighters, dispatchers and other seasonal positions.

Our forests are our cultural heritage. They are extremely important to the First Nations people from the province, and also to the rest of us who grew up hiking, camping, and enjoying BC's spectacular landscape. Can everyone send a thought or a prayer to British Columbia? To the people dealing with fire and smoke, to the poor animals who are losing their habitats, and to the majestic cedars and douglas firs that are ablaze (trees that can live for thousands of years). They need rain, and they need the emergency wildfire fighting services to be effective.

Re: My home province is on fire....

And so is the NWT, for a second year in a row.
    Attached Files
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

There was a similar thing in the north of Israel a couple of years ago. Sending prayers.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I was surprised at the fires,I do not think I ever saw news about Canada and forest fires. The west coast of the US yeh,California in general and now more with the drought.

It never occurred to me that Canada would have them because of being so cold. Sorry you guys are having a hard time with the fires..

Are most of the fires caused by Lightning?,or is it human factors..?
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It's not cold. It can reach 100 degrees or more in South-Central British Columbia. The coast is cooler than the interior in the summer, but no cooler than the Washington State coast. The prairie provinces can also be stifling hot.

Canada is often a country of extremes. Extreme winters, but also extreme summers.

This year is hotter than average, though. Part of the problem on the coast was also snow and rainfall. In the winter and spring, it's supposed to rain a LOT at sea level on the coast. Like, all the stereotypes about the US northwest are true for Vancouver and Vancouver Island. It's a wet place. In the mountains, it's supposed to snow all winter. This year, it barely snowed on the mountains and rainfall was low on the coast. In the spring, it barely rained at all on the coast. So it's dry as hell. Because it's hotter than average, it just started burning Most were caused by lightening from what I've read. But there are a lot of them, so who knows? I think most people have been pretty good about respecting the campfire and smoking bans. No one wants to see it get worse.

V, I'm sorry to hear that NWT is suffering from fires as well. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers as well.

I also heard there were a lot of fires in Saskatchewan: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...uees-1.3139554

I looked up Alberta and they're hit too. I guess it's the entire west.

If you scroll down on this article, you can see the average rainfall figures compared with the actual ones. It's pretty dry:
          The west's wildfire emergency continues into the weekend, with thousands of evacuations, smoke-filled air and throngs of firefighters trying to keep the flames at bay.

Comment

Working...
          X