Any other rat owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other rat owners?

Hey! Any other rat owners floating about on here? I always love talking about the little fuzzbutts with others who have become slaves to thier ratties!
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: Any other rat owners?

I love my ratties!

I've raised them since I was a kid, and becoming and adult, obviously the logical transition is to have MORE of them.

I refuse to buy them from stores or breeders; we only rescue. So sometimes (frequently) they come in a little...broken. Mentally and physically. Nursing a huge bite would in the side of one ratties FACE is a huge undertaking, believe me. And it smells AWFUL until it starts to scab fully.

We're currently building a 6ft plus double sided habitat capable of housing up to 20 of them per side, divided girls from boys of course, with a top bunk to separate any possible litters and/or sickies. Hopefully we'll have it done sometime before next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Demifate View Post
      I love my ratties!

I've raised them since I was a kid, and becoming and adult, obviously the logical transition is to have MORE of them.

I refuse to buy them from stores or breeders; we only rescue. So sometimes (frequently) they come in a little...broken. Mentally and physically. Nursing a huge bite would in the side of one ratties FACE is a huge undertaking, believe me. And it smells AWFUL until it starts to scab fully.

We're currently building a 6ft plus double sided habitat capable of housing up to 20 of them per side, divided girls from boys of course, with a top bunk to separate any possible litters and/or sickies. Hopefully we'll have it done sometime before next year.
      That......... is amazing.
      Hehe, I would love to have a ton of the boogers, but it took me three years to convince my mother to let me have any at all. I wish I could rescue....... but my mom believes the "all rescued animals are bloodthirsty killers" stereotype about rescues and won't let one into the house. The moment I'm outta the house though, I will never have a non-rescue animal in my household.
      I never buy from pet stores though. The two girls I have came from a friend who had an accidental litter- one of her female rats got into the male rat cage in a freak accident and well..... you know.
      I love them to bits ^^
      Although I honestly think one of my rats believes she is a cat.

So glad to see another rat owner!

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
        I never buy from pet stores though. The two girls I have came from a friend who had an accidental litter- one of her female rats got into the male rat cage in a freak accident and well..... you know.
        Accidents are never small with rats - go big or go home! Suddenly you have 10 little pink erasers and no idea what to do about it. And raising them all can be understandably hard for some people - especially the cleaning!

We have two dumbos who have the weirdest quirks: one likes to be petted like a dog, and the other is a compulsive nester. Like ALL OF THE NESTING material in the food bowl. If you move it, within ten minutes (usually less) she will fix it. She'll even try to take it back immediately if she catches you doing it.

It took me a long time to talk to my local rescues. Petco near by had someone drop our current litter off in the back of their store in a 5 gallon bucket. They just left them there.

They're so inbred it's ridiculous, but so darn cute! And it hasn't effected the fact that I love to spoil them rotten, anyway.

Comment

My youngest daughter (she's 22 and no longer living at home) has two, and she loves them. They are cute, friendly, and intelligent.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Well....we lost one of our babies last night to tumor complications. She made it a little over three years though! Her three sisters are still kicking...mostly.

My three current babies:
            One is hugely fat and has a small tumor.
            One has had 3 strokes, and was paralyzed down the whole right side of her body. Took lotsa therapy to get i back. Vet wanted to put her down at the time. I never knew you could use physical therapy sessions on rats, just like dogs and people!
            And the third one is a dumbo twin of the one we just lost...and she's healthy as a horse. Kinda scarily so. She has some strange neurological issues, but that's about it.

Comment

Well....we lost one of our babies last night to tumor complications. She made it a little over three years though! Her three sisters are still kicking...mostly.

My three current babies:
              One is hugely fat and has a small tumor.
              One has had 3 strokes, and was paralyzed down the whole right side of her body. Took lotsa therapy to get i back. Vet wanted to put her down at the time. I never knew you could use physical therapy sessions on rats, just like dogs and people!
              And the third one is a dumbo twin of the one we just lost...and she's healthy as a horse. Kinda scarily so. She has some strange neurological issues, but that's about it.
              I'm so sorry you lost your baby....... may her soul rest peacefully. Three years, though, is quite long for a rattie! Lucky girl.

Ah, I love dumbos. Such sweet little faces.
              But in all seriousness, may the gods bless you for taking in special needs. Too many people want the "perfect pet" and can't seem to fathom having one that isn't...........

- - - Updated - - -

Accidents are never small with rats - go big or go home! Suddenly you have 10 little pink erasers and no idea what to do about it. And raising them all can be understandably hard for some people - especially the cleaning!

We have two dumbos who have the weirdest quirks: one likes to be petted like a dog, and the other is a compulsive nester. Like ALL OF THE NESTING material in the food bowl. If you move it, within ten minutes (usually less) she will fix it. She'll even try to take it back immediately if she catches you doing it.

It took me a long time to talk to my local rescues. Petco near by had someone drop our current litter off in the back of their store in a 5 gallon bucket. They just left them there.

They're so inbred it's ridiculous, but so darn cute! And it hasn't effected the fact that I love to spoil them rotten, anyway.
              How people can do such thing to animals........ it makes me so angry........

I volunteer at our local shelter ^^ I so badly want to visit Best Friends. I've read their book over 20 times.

Luckily my friend has over 15 years of experience with rats, so the litter wasn't too overwhelming. xD

I really do wish my mother would let us rescue. But 7 years of charts, graphs, facts and qoutes, and no progress. I guess there are some people who just can't get past stereotypes.....
              I honestly feel like a terrible person for not rescuing, even if it's beyond my control.......

Oh gods that's really funny xD
              One of my rats has a weird quirk too. Climbing into shirts. She'll do ANYTHING to climb down your shirt. Problem is she'll sometimes go into your bra and then things get kinda painful. xD

When I have my own place, however, I want to adopt old dogs and non-ridable horses. No one wants them, it's so terrible. I want to at least make sure they know love once........

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              My youngest daughter (she's 22 and no longer living at home) has two, and she loves them. They are cute, friendly, and intelligent.
              They really are! ^^

Comment

Rats are such sweet pets! I had several of them as a child. My first rat was a white female named Daryl. After Daryl died, we got another one. Her name was Cinnamon. She was mostly white with cinnamon-colored spots on her back. She was such a sweet rat. She would actually eat out of my hand.
                "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

Ok,from a non Rat owner(hate that term,more like adoptive parent) what is the average rat lifetime...
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    Ok,from a non Rat owner(hate that term,more like adoptive parent) what is the average rat lifetime...
                    Most domesticated rats live 2-3 years. If they make it to four, you've got one lucky rattie

Comment

Working...
                    X