Ásatrúarfélagið getting hate mail over temple in Iceland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ásatrúarfélagið getting hate mail over temple in Iceland

The Icelandic Pagan Association receives hate-mail from reactionary pagans abroad | Icelandmag

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I totally knew this was coming...when I first read about this, I turned to the hubby and said, "I bet you backrubs and dishes for a month that a nice swathe of American Heathens will have a shit fit over this". He declined because he knew I'd be right.

"foreign practitioners of the faith who are unhappy with the liberal beliefs and attitudes of Icelandic religion"

I could actually roll on the floor, laughing at this. I almost shot gatorade out my nose. Pretty much, this here would be why I dislike about half the Heathens that I've met IRL (there's a lot of Heathens in the military...plus we had a Heathen roomie for quite some time). A good number of them make fundamentalist Christians look open-minded about their faith. Its almost like they took the hated religion they grew up in and just shoved a different set of gods in there.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
        So they're getting hate mail predominantly because they support gay rights? Am I reading that correctly?

People are stupid and need to get a new productive hobby.
        Also, they promote a soft polytheistic view of the gods at best.

from an interview with Hilmarsson:

Last edited by thalassa; 14 Jul 2015, 16:22.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
          So they're getting hate mail predominantly because they support gay rights? Am I reading that correctly?

People are stupid and need to get a new productive hobby.
          I think that's just part of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thal is right on from what I'm learning. Admittedly my acquaintance with other Heathens is over the 'net, but an unfortunate number are dickheads of the first magnitude, and full of themselves. That other Heathens don't believe as they do turns them nasty. The soft polytheism and ancestor worship is a bone of contention. It seems that Americans are super hard polytheists who, ironically, turn more to their ancestors, claiming the gods don't care about us. Icelanders seem to be a lot more liberal.

Comment

Comment

You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

War never changes.

Comment

The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                  I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Comment

The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                        We should start a rally. "Pagan Lives Matter!"
                        And: "Not all heathens..." or "Watch your privilege, Christians!"
                        Sorry. Too much Tumblr in the past.
                        baah.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                              Everyone's so concerned about what everyone else is doing, and if they aren't doing it "their way" it's wrong.
                              Man, you said a mouthful! Not to veer too far off topic (just a little veer maybe ) that's something so rife at one particular site... "you're doing it wrong". Exact words from another site: "... heathening without a tribe is heathening wrong"
                              With nobody else

With nobody else

I'm always by myself... (apologies to George Thorogood).

Comment

Working...
                              X